Do wrap around handguards cause hand and/or arm injuries?

Wrap around handguards and rider safety  

590 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your experience with wrap around handguards

• I ride with them and they've never caused me injury.
    • I've suffered injuries that I believe were the result of running wrap around handguards.
    • I do not know anyone personally that has been injured by wrap around handguards.
    • I know riders personally that have been injuried because they were running wrap around handguards
    • No idea, but I like bikes and chicks (in that order).

I was back and forth whether or not to install mine. I do a mix of MX and woods.

I decided to put them on with the intent of taking them off for MX occasionally. First ride in the woods after the install, I slammed a good size tree hard with the right side. Would have been a shattered hand for sure. Won't ride woods without them.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, BigDutch81 said:

I was back and forth whether or not to install mine. I do a mix of MX and woods.

I decided to put them on with the intent of taking them off for MX occasionally. First ride in the woods after the install, I slammed a good size tree hard with the right side. Would have been a shattered hand for sure. Won't ride woods without them.

Same with me.  First time I put them on my DS bike, I banged a tree that deflected me to the other side of the trail but no pain, no foul.  Without them, I would have bailed out and been writhing on the ground in pain - at best.

• Like 2

I have run wraparound hand guards since the mid 80's and still run them today.  I stuck the front wheel in a old rut on an Enduro in 1992 that was deep enough to catch the fork legs and stop the bike right now.  On my left hand I had my index finger on the clutch lever and the sudden stop sent me over the bars but drove my finger into the back of the barkbuster and broke at the knuckle resulting in surgery and needing three pins to hold it together.  I still ride with them partly to protect my fingers and partly because I rarely bend a bar or brake a lever when I crash with handguards.

First picture is 1985 and my KDX and second is my current YZ with handguards.

NL AND RIDING 025.jpg

akeley west 2011 p1 (3).jpg

• Like 2

I've broken my wrist and separated my shoulder in an over the bats incident and I attribute the injuries to bark Buster's but still run them. I almost exclusively ride in the woods though.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, 76xtdrvr said:

For mx days, I remove the barkbusters and pop these in the ends of the handlebars.

IMG_20181129_093119.jpg.ad499c2240f30cac8c681da4516fdc31.jpg

No idea these existed, but fantastic idea.  I just ordered so I can easily switch back and forth between full wraps and flags.  Plus, Rocky Mountain has flags for $6.99 right now!

This topic has alway be a concern of mine. As a older guy still riding, don't necessarily want to have a hand or arm injury..... But I also don't like my fingers smashed hitting a tree limb or having the lever break every time I tip the bike over.....

DSC_0546.jpg

• Like 1

In the desert or in the trees...  almost an absolute necessity. People say desert ?  But creosote bushes in the desert have limbs like pool sticks. Getting slapped with one of those at speed will take you off the bike and rip open your fingers. 

I do know people that did not let go in time and broke a wrist.  But crushing a finger is bad too.  I know of three broken wrists with hand guards...  many more mashed and bashed hands from no hand guards or floppy ones that do nothing.

Cycras probend and others with the lower design on the side bar do help save your wrist when tossed off the side of the bike.  

I don't ride without wrap arounds anymore.  :cheers:

• Like 3

Yes it can brake wrists.I have seen it done.In case of an ENDO your instinct tells you to hang on and maybe safe it. Often you cant safe it but you dont let go.That is the dilemma and that is why you see MOST professionals use only the open blades but not the rigid ( so called) hand savers.

Having grown for many years without any hand protection in my very long carrier,I tested them one year(because as a dealer I must test before I sell),and found that it did NOT give me a save feeling but rather the oposit.

I felt that the extra weight around my steering center did not give me the quick right-left between tight trees and what I never did before I begun to hit trees.,So I never ever used them and I had once only when I hit a little tree branch and the clutch lever hit the top of my fingers.

But then I know a lot of people who would not trail riding without.Its a personal matter.

0001.jpg

004b.JPG

100_3320.JPG

• Like 1

I had a thumb nail torn off by juniper branch, I will never ride without them again.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2015 at 5:24 PM, RickP said:

You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

I was hurt once by them BUT they have saved me from going down countless times

Yes it can brake wrists.I have seen it done.In case of an ENDO your instinct tells you to hang on and maybe safe it. Often you cant safe it but you dont let go.That is the dilemma and that is why you see MOST professionals use only the open blades but not the rigid ( so called) hand savers.
Having grown for many years without any hand protection in my very long carrier,I tested them one year(because as a dealer I must test before I sell),and found that it did NOT give me a save feeling but rather the oposit.
I felt that the extra weight around my steering center did not give me the quick right-left between tight trees and what I never did before I begun to hit trees.,So I never ever used them and I had once only when I hit a little tree branch and the clutch lever hit the top of my fingers.
But then I know a lot of people who would not trail riding without.Its a personal matter.
0001.jpg.ecd12b98de048b8d0b80f8c26ae6ec3e.jpg
004b.thumb.JPG.c5430b529e512641e4c108a221809e5f.JPG
100_3320.JPG.de3a0a30599e8de5754c38f50298e8d6.JPG
What country are you in? Your English is pretty good.
  • Like 1

I have always ridden with wrap around handguards and I will continue to do so.  12 years ago I hit a ditch and went over the handlebars and my hand stayed in the handguard a little too long and broke a bone on the back of my hand.  I didn't ride for 6 months after that and it was my official transition to mostly driving a long travel car.

Edited by danryan92468

I have always ridden with wrap around handguards and I will continue to do so.  12 years ago I hit a ditch and went over the handlebars and my hand stayed in the handguard a little too long and broke a bone on the back of my hand.  I didn't ride for 6 months after that and it was my official transition to mostly driving a buggy.
I like buggies, so much more lively and quick than a wagon or carriage.

On 5/21/2015 at 8:24 AM, RickP said:

You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

couldnt agree more. If I had a dollar for every injury they prevented Id be very wealthy.

On 5/21/2015 at 8:24 AM, RickP said:

"You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

I'm adding this quote - as I'd say a fair few have done.

I've used full guards since the early 80s.  Never hurt myself with them, and, of course I believe " they have saved me from countless injuries".

can see how you could get caught up with them - and the thought of the damage you could get from them makes me wince.  It's a valid fear.

In all the years I've used them , I've had a few close calls with having my hands go into the gap between bars and guards. Each one when I've been going very slow, and mis-judged a rock drop. As in : Standing up, expecting a smaller drop, but then having the bike spear down, and me following it down. Each time just having been bashed on the knuckles / fingers as I luckily withdrew my hands.  I'd hate to get caught in them in a prang.

Something that's caught me out recently, is going to different BBs - to get my little fingers off the BBs, thinking that was causing my hand problems ( but, no, it's Carpal Tunnel). So I got ones that 'dropped' from the bars. Trouble is, they go out at right angles to the bars. whereas ones I've used for years angle in fairly quickly from the bars. Result / Problem = after years of the angled type, I'm now continually hitting trees, with the  extra inch of width of the BBs front corner  either side, compared to the actual width of the bars.   I've tried to get used to it, give myself extra distance from trees / Saplings, but I can't seem to get it. Have to find some 'drop from the bar ends' ones that angle in closer to the bars, as I'm having so many 'moments'(some 'Very Big Moments')  with hitting things.

8 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
11 hours ago, Clasen_Motors_KTM said:
0001.jpg.ecd12b98de048b8d0b80f8c26ae6ec3e.jpg
004b.thumb.JPG.c5430b529e512641e4c108a221809e5f.JPG
100_3320.JPG.de3a0a30599e8de5754c38f50298e8d6.JPG

What country are you in? Your English is pretty good.

You dont know speedy??

I race hare scrambles and endures for years and I have ridden entire seasons with and without full wraps.

the honest truth is that it's all preference.  I rode an entire season with just roost deflector (flag style) and was perfectly fine for everything except 1 ultra tight race where I felt like I was punching trees all day and came off the course with bloody and skinned knuckles. So I went back to wraps and they are fine.

can they cause wrist injury? yes.

can a neck brace cause spinal injury? yes

can knee braces cause femur injury? yes

can your helmet collar bone injury? yes

there are many safety items that can cause injury in certain crashes. you have to look at your riding style and the way you crash most often and decide if that particular item with be of more benefit than risk to you.

We ride motorcycles in rough and challenging conditions. if you're looking for something safe, take up knitting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, djsather said:

We ride motorcycles in rough and challenging conditions. if you're looking for something safe, take up knitting.

If you are worried about your wrists,  then knitting might not be the best activity either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, joemc04 said:

If you are worried about your wrists,  then knitting might not be the best activity either.

haha! Fair point...  Reading?