Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Tire & Rim Not Concentric

Traded my street bike for a '98 DR650 last year.  This spring discovered front rim cracked.  Found used rim on ebay.  Bought it.  Laced it up.  Remounted Dunlop D606.  It holds air but I simply can not get the tire bead to all be exposed.  There's always around a 10" stretch or so around the rim on both sides of the wheel where the bead won't expand outward from the hub to show outside of the rim.  Hence my reference to not begin concentric in the topic title.  Googling didn't pull much up on this problem.  Has anyone experienced this?  The tire came off fine and went on fine and there's no "bulging" such as would lead me to believe there's any cord damage.  Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue as to whether the tire was concentric before I pulled it off.  I only rode the bike a few times last year before mothballing it for this past winter and I've spent a lot of time on TLC with this beast cleaning up the messes left behind by the former owner.  It's testament to how bullet proof the DR is when I see how freaking hard this guy was on the bike before I swapped him for it.  I've tried getting the thing seated proper so many times it's making me nuts!  :foul:  :cry:  :facepalm:  :banghead:  :goofy:

Suggestions?

If you haven't already try to cover the bead in soapy water to get the bead to pop on

Unseat bead, soap and water or WD40 or other lube on bead and rim, inflate to 70 or 80 psi or until the bead seats.  If still not seated, leave at 70 or 80 and go for a ride with some bumps and jumps.

Edited by Wraith0513

Yep, tried lube and high pressure.  I'll try riding it rough a bit to see if that helps.  Was thinking of getting tire really warm somehow but that seems a bit tricky.  I'll keep trying to work it out.  Thanks for the advice.

Edited by YarnellDan

Don't ride it at 80 psi.

I've had a few that gave issues. Wd 40 rather than water helps. I've had rears slip if ridden directly after.

Bounce the tire hard on the ground with higher pressure on the bad spot. Pop the bead lose and repeat.

A couple that the above did not work on I rode offroad with at normal pressure. They seated.

Still hasn't seated.  I'll keep trying.  Only managed a few miles on the tire riding in the dirt.  Too dang busy!

Feel around the inside of the rim lip for an especially rough edge that might be digging into the rubber and not letting it slide out as it should. Long shot, but a brush with some emery cloth might do the trick..

Did you true it up yourself when done lacing? Sounds like you might have one side too tight. What's the outside of the rim look like when it spins?

Along with lube and high pressure, try keeping the area that won't seat pulled out and 180deg across the tire tucked into the rim while you add air pressure slowly. That has worked for me on a stuborn XR650 tire..

• Like 1

Did you true it up yourself when done lacing? Sounds like you might have one side too tight. What's the outside of the rim look like when it spins?

Yes, laced it myself.  Less than 1 millimeter run-out in all dimensions.  Symmetry, geometric and concentric aspects are all . . . exemplar.    :thumbsup:

Spokes are all torqued to spec.

Along with lube and high pressure, try keeping the area that won't seat pulled out and 180deg across the tire tucked into the rim while you add air pressure slowly. That has worked for me on a stuborn XR650 tire..

Been thinking along these lines.  Gonna try it next.  Thanks!

Feel around the inside of the rim lip for an especially rough edge that might be digging into the rubber and not letting it slide out as it should. Long shot, but a brush with some emery cloth might do the trick..

Well, I did check the rim fairly thoroughly when I received it but maybe I'll have to go back and re-evaluate if the problem persists.  Thanks for the suggestion.