Sign in to follow this  

Q's on the '15 WR or FX 250.

I've been riding a Six Days 2011 250 XCFW for years now.  Love everything about it except the front suspension and front end feel.  I only feel the inadequacy when riding my friends '09 WR250.  It takes more effort to turn but the front end feel is fantastic and front suspension communicates better for me  Everything else about the older WR250 I don't like.  However the new 15 models have me taking a real hard look.

Got a couple questions.  First off the seat height.  I'm 5'6" and hate the tall saddle of my 2013 KTM 500 with the new frame but love the handling.  I've seen a couple posts claiming how tall the Wr/FX saddles are.  At my height every fraction of an inch counts (GF also tell me that :)  ) and I'm looking for some some seat height measurements from those with stock springs.  Also if you could give me your weight so I can then judge if I'll be running more or less sag,  I'm curious if it will be taller than my KTM's?  I hope not as the KTM's are too bloody tall for me with the new frames in tight technical enduro terrain,.

Can you also give me an idea of what you can cruise comfortably on pavement with the stock gearing in top gear?  I've got some pavement to drone on a lot of times and would like a higher 6th than my KTM 250 XCFW ideally.

The 6th gear on my 2011 250 xcfw is 22/26.  I checked on a couple Yamaha OEM parts fische but could not get the actual internal gear ratio's for 6th.  Anyone know?

It's considerably taller then your KTM. It's the tallest bike I have ever sat on. It's taller then my YZ450F which was the second tallest bike I have sat on, and my KTM 500 would the 3rd tallest...

• Like 2

Agree with monk. I'm 6'2 and was shocked by how tall the new WR was when checking it out at my local shop. Much taller then my 11' WR250f. At 5'6 I think it would be a struggle for you.

Edited by NW_drZ

I have the FX. I can't give an exact seat height but it is crazy tall. I'm 5'6" as well. I installed a Devol lowering link that brought it in line with normal seat heights. I also weigh 170 lbs. The link worked well with the stock spring for my weight.

Mark

Is it just tall in seat height measures or in cockpit room also(seat to peg to grips).

The 250FX really peaked my curiosity...

I'm 6'2. The seat height is higher than I expected although not so high that I need to do anything about it. Moving around the adjustable bar mount location gives adequate seat to bar position. Once set up I find the cockpit very comfortable. The standard rear spring suits my 180lbs. A friend (5'9) rode it and said it's a bit tall for him. He never says this of his late model XC KTMs.

6th gear seems OK and fast enough for long transport sections without too many revs. The FX does not have a speedo but my guesstimate is similar to my KTMs 6th gear.

Edited by riles

I know a couple of guys with the FX.  They both installed a lowering link and are now happy with the seat height.  I rode one of them and it was fine for me at 5'-9".  The FX is an impressive bike.  I was surprised at how much mid/top end power it had and the handling gave me confidence.

Is it just tall in seat height measures or in cockpit room also(seat to peg to grips).

The 250FX really peaked my curiosity...

The cockpit room is the same as a yz 250f. The reason the fx is so tall is because Yamaha put on a longer shock with less shaft travel to make room for the battery. MXA explained it pretty well in their yz250fx test.