I'm Back on XR ! XR440R

• Experts

Saddly, I didn't fair so well this weekend. I guess not riding for 3 months had a bit to do with it. I think the XR440R rode me more than I rode it. Just out of shape. I kept crashing at least once every section. I am missing spokes in the rear wheel too. I also was wearing a new pair of boots and ripped the side out of my right boot. I have a cut on the side of my foot too. Once I fell going over a log and knocked my gas cap off wasting gas and soaking myself.  Sometimes I would be going good then I would just lose it. Oh, Well. You have to blow the cobwebs off somehow. If I can't get the spokes intime I will be riding the XR200R next weekend.

Saddly, I didn't fair so well this weekend. I guess not riding for 3 months had a bit to do with it. I think the XR440R rode me more than I rode it. Just out of shape. I kept crashing at least once every section. I am missing spokes in the rear wheel too. I also was wearing a new pair of boots and ripped the side out of my right boot. I have a cut on the side of my foot too. Once I fell going over a log and knocked my gas cap off wasting gas and soaking myself. Sometimes I would be going good then I would just lose it. Oh, Well. You have to blow the cobwebs off somehow. If I can't get the spokes intime I will be riding the XR200R next weekend.

dam that sounds like a tough day bro. Good luck next week, I love your race report's keep them coming.

I've got some used spokes you can have for free. If you want to get a new set I just bought some from faster USA for around 79$ for a full set per wheel. Steel silver colored spokes and nipples. Colin is very helpful and can probably overnight them to you. If not let me know I just laced up my new rims but not trued yet.

Erik at Alumatrek dot com

Edited by Firestone

• 1 month later...

Dwight can you please give me the needle # for your lectron.

I have an extra carb I would love to install on my xr400.

I am currently using a lectron on my 2014 Husaberg TE 300 that I can go about 100 miles on the stock tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Experts

Dwight how is your season going? Did you go back to your other bike or? 

Rode the XR200R at last National. Fell over a bunch due to crappy front tire. Had a Maxxis IT on front. Someone gave it to me. I will give it to garbage man. I am putting a IRC VE35F on it. BUT I am planning on riding my XR440 this weekend at the La. National enduro. Row 1E. I plan on having a good time on the XRE440 but not expecting too much being on row 1 and that I go in next week for surgery on my left knee. I hope it is just cartilage tear. I have been limping for so long now my hip hurts.

Edited by Dwight_Rudder

• Experts

Dwight can you please give me the needle # for your lectron.

I have an extra carb I would love to install on my xr400.

I am currently using a lectron on my 2014 Husaberg TE 300 that I can go about 100 miles on the stock tank.

Call Lectron and ask for Kevin. He setup my carb and I never had to change the needle it self.  Just a bit of fine tuning.

dwight

good luck at national.are you still looking for stock muffler for the xr4?if so ive decided to keep the big gun on mine so i would be willing to sell.my stock muffler and baffle that still has insert in it and pretty good shape.im not sure what its worth so make me and offer and we can go from there.

• Experts

dwight

good luck at national.are you still looking for stock muffler for the xr4?if so ive decided to keep the big gun on mine so i would be willing to sell.my stock muffler and baffle that still has insert in it and pretty good shape.im not sure what its worth so make me and offer and we can go from there.

What year model is yours ?

• Experts

Which IT was it? I bought the Maxxis Maxcross EN which is modified version of the IT for the XR440. I wonder if it was a mistake what kind of soil and terrain where you riding. I have not finished my XR4 project yet.

I was riding a loam top with a hard clay base. I have a Dunlop AT81 front on my XR440.

Actually XR suspension isn 't too far off the mark. I raced XRs with a minimal of tuning. Usually just a fluid change. I usually raised the oil level in the forks to near max. Back off the compression clicker all the way and click in till it only bottoms lightly over the hardest of hits. Same on the shock. Rebound is close on the shock and also the forks. That is all I plan on doing with my suspension. Worked well for me in the past.

Carl's Diner ?   I like my suspension plush like Scott Summers showerhd me. Infa

Like you and Scott, I too prefer a softer plush setup.  I dont belong in the same sentence with yall but I did realize this on my first couple rides breaking in the like new 2004 XR250 i bought to race.  I was riding it hard trying to find reasons why I am disagreeing with everyone reccomendation of having to stiffen everything up especially if I planned to race . It is on the soft side but I love how it can go over a 4-5 inch log or fly through a small rock section and I literally don't even feel it. Weighing in at 195lbs I wasnt sure why I was disagreeing and thought it had to be the tighter east coast mountainous terrain or I may not be the fast good rider  i thought I was.   I got 8th in 30+ C but but was in 2nd for half the race and had the lead for half of a lap when I got stuck in some deep sticky Georgia clay mud for 13 minutes.  The race experience made me realize I did need to get the suspension stiffer and I want to try a fluid swap filling to the max and adding a little nitro before sending it off.  I know the 250 fork is different but is it worth giving this a try on my 04 XR250??  I put heavier springs in a 230 and was not happy with the way to stiff setup.  I feel staying with what I have is ok for about 75% of a laps terrain and I am hoping the oil swap would turn that okay into GOOD for 75% of a lap

Dwight, tell me about kicking your bike. I put in the same big bore as you and running HRC grind from XR's only cam which stole my auto decompressor. The old bugger kicks like my XR600R used to know. stops me dead in my tracks every 4th or 5th kick on the midstroke. I hate that feeling. It is way harder to kick now than before.