2012 klx450 Linkage Removal

Howdy fellow riders, 

Last weekend I came off my bike and bent up my bars and mounts. Since I can't afford new ones till next pay I'm greasing everything and checking the top end while I wait. 

Is there a knack to removing the rear lower shock linkage/dogbone, etc? 
I'm really hoping the needles haven't seized, would you feel it when working the suspension? or do you just have to wiggle it out?

If it were me, I don't think I would pull the shock linkage apart until I had a linkage rebuild kit handy. (All Balls is around $67, Pivot Works $63)  That way if you come across a dry one with broken or pitted needles you can replace it.  I am not sure if you can feel bad ones by working the suspension unless they are so bad you feel a clunk when you pick up the rear end or hear a squeaking.

• Like 1

I was actually looking at the one piece bar mounts the other day but I hadn't actually seen them on anyone's bike so thought they must be a gimmick. I was only going to get the taller RHK fatbar mounts.

I might have to get a kit, the bolt that holds it together turns smoothly but it's not coming out for some reason...

Got it out, needed to relieve the pressure of the suspension. 

Needles hadn't seized but the grease had dried to feel like a rubber on the shock bearing needles.

Of course I re-assembled it and then (luckily) found one more needle sitting in the bottom of the container.

• Like 1