Sign in to follow this  

Help with wiring xr600r

I just bought and installed a rickystator high powered stator in my xr600r. It fired up and is running well, but the wiring on the bike is a mess. The previous owner wired up LED turn signals front and back, a trail tech vapor computer, and a trailtech x2 headlight, with a 12v battery pack wired in after a reg/rectifier. There is also a voltage regulator wired in. The components are good, but I've decided to redo the entire wiring harness because its such a mess.

So here's what im trying to do. I want headlight in line with a 12v battery with a switch so that i can operate it without the bike running, and i want the stator to charge the battery.

Then, wired separately, i want the blinkers, brake light, and computer, wired to run only when the bike is running. I think i can do this bit with AC from the stator running through the voltage regulator, although im not sure if the LED's will cooperate with AC, or if it needs to be converted.

I'm a little new to wiring, so any help is much appreciated  :huh:

I'm in the same boat as you with my 600r, the PO left it an utter mess an I've been wanting to redo it since I still need blinkers, battery, an the horn added.

But to answer your question on led lighting.

Led needs DC power. It will run on ac power but its weaker light. Just install an AC to DC rectifier an it should be good.

12v Bulbs can run on either AC or DC just as well.

Hope I cleared it up enough for you. Good luck

If you run a split system use 1 AC leg for the halogen headlight the other DC leg for the rest, including LED aux lights. If you need the headlight working with bike off just run everything from DC and a good sized battery.

I would just make a simple standard battery system. Add a simple general purpose Ignition Switch that kills (grounds) the ignition when Off and powers the tail, turn sigs, and brake lights when On and then a headlight off/lo/hi switch that is fed from tail.