Sign in to follow this  

Chest Protector or not?

Hi, I currently ( and always have run chest protector/ roost deflectors) run a fox pro frame. I was on Instagram recently and noticed that none of the pros, offroad or MX, seem to wear them. Are they worth wearing or not?

On a side note, does anyone have an alternate method of the Leatt Hands free hydration connector? I don't want to spend $30 on it.

I agree with Demi

ATGATT

Most pro's wear something under their jersey, I wear any and all gear I have all the time, every ride. The ground is full of sharp, hard and pokey things that are waiting for you to crash, crazy not to imo.

• Like 3

I don't know if mine has ever really prevented any injury like some of my other gear. It is nice for roost though and it only takes one get off in the wrong spot to be the difference between a bruise and impalement to your vitals. Mine is a little bigger than a standard MX roost guard and I never notice its even on. I think a lot of pros wear them under their jersey too.

• Like 1

I run that evs guard under my jersey. Don't really notice and i look like superman..win win bro!

I have always worn a fox airframe, I broke my collarbone 3 weeks ago and it broke the A/F in half  when I landed, i just slung it in the woods, was by myself and had no way to carry it back the 8 miles. I have debated about wearing one after talking to a few of the older racers and a couple said they dont wear anything cuz they wont prevent injuries like mine. But thinking about landing on a pointy rock or piece of wood, I think I'll start looking for a new chest protector, as I have 4 more weeks until this plated collarbone heals. I dont do MX just trails so I wont wear a neck brace, I have one but I have always been told they tend to break the collarbone so thats the only piece I own but dont wear

In my opinion.. wear as much protection as you can.

This is coming from a guy that had been off work a month because he thought he didn't need all that "unecessary" protection.

• Like 2

If you ride the woods it's a stick through the chest. MX it's a handlebar or footpeg or tire across the back.

Jake Weimer's got some new scars this year and here's British MX2 Champion Elliot Banks Browne.

s1200_ebb_back.jpg

• Like 1

I will add that I believe it is insane to ride in the woods without some type of chest protection. I don't know how many times I've been nearly impaled by broken off limbs sticking out into the trail. Lots of sharp stuff in the woods. And trees don't move!

• Like 3

Hi, I currently ( and always have run chest protector/ roost deflectors) run a fox pro frame. I was on Instagram recently and noticed that none of the pros, offroad or MX, seem to wear them. Are they worth wearing or not?

On a side note, does anyone have an alternate method of the Leatt Hands free hydration connector? I don't want to spend $30 on it.

I always wear one and a lot of the pros do too... Adam cianciarulo does along with the martin brothers, I don't watch a whole lot of GNCC but I'm sure all those guys have something on. I got a cheap $50 Bilt chest protector that goes under the jersey and that thing has saved me from soo much pain I can't even begin to tell you all the times it saved me in a fall or a rock to the chest etc. it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Depending on your wreck, it can or can't prevent a broken bone. Mine has saved my spine multiple times along with my sternum...

I don't.  It wouldn't have saved me from my 2 serious injuries in the past couple years, shoulder and collarbone.  I just got a new Atlas neck brace, and I've been contemplating something that will fit with it.  I've had a Leatt and EVS, and neither of them fit well with body protection, so I figured the neck brace was more important.

A nice size rail road stone coming off a back of 500 2t tire into the chest. Feeeeels great!

• Like 2

I don't. It wouldn't have saved me from my 2 serious injuries in the past couple years, shoulder and collarbone. I just got a new Atlas neck brace, and I've been contemplating something that will fit with it. I've had a Leatt and EVS, and neither of them fit well with body protection, so I figured the neck brace was more important.

i had the sane problem with my Atlas neck brace, i found out that Atlas now makes a chest protector designed to work with their braces, i got it and i love it it even has a built in GoPro chest mount, you should check it out!

As to not using one as a rooster guard, always stay out in front 🙂

At the moment I'm not wearing chest/back protection since my current one does not feel comfortable with my pack BUT I know I've been luck.

When I was wearing my roost guard, I had a 30ft long tree (think jousting pole size) sticking out into a trail and hit me in the chest. Next thing I knew I was sitting on my ass on the ground watching my bike drive off into the bush. I might not be here today without it.

My buddy just bought one of these and though it is not hard plastic, From what I've seen and what he tells me looks like it's a good comprise for comfort, ventilation, protection and will be picking one up soon.

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/51000320