Getting Sh*t on for wearing too much gear

I consider myself a safe rider, when I go out for a trail ride on my 200 xc-w I always have lots of Riding gear on. I'm currently saving money to get myself some good knee pads and a total chest protector, you know, one of those with the sleeve c/w elbow/forearm pads. I always have my helmet, pants, gloves, and alpine stars neck brace on. I never jump my bike, but I always have my neck brace on because all of our trails are 2-way trails frequently used by atv's and side-by-sides. I frequently ride on fire roads too and always use my neck brace in case of a collision with a vehicle. I like to play it safe, wether I'm going fast or slow. I get some flak from other riders about "looking cool", some people think I just want to look like a pro rider ( I'm far from it), I just want to be protected like one!

Any thoughts on this? Is wearing a neck brace trail riding silly?

• Like 6

I consider myself a safe rider, when I go out for a trail ride on my 200 xc-w I always have lots of Riding gear on. I'm currently saving money to get myself some good knee pads and a total chest protector, you know, one of those with the sleeve c/w elbow/forearm pads. I always have my helmet, pants, gloves, and alpine stars neck brace on. I never jump my bike, but I always have my neck brace on because all of our trails are 2-way trails frequently used by atv's and side-by-sides. I frequently ride on fire roads too and always use my neck brace in case of a collision with a vehicle. I like to play it safe, wether I'm going fast or slow. I get some flak from other riders about "looking cool", some people think I just want to look like a pro rider ( I'm far from it), I just want to be protected like one!

Any thoughts on this? Is wearing a neck brace trail riding silly?

IMO you are an idiot if you don't wear one (neck brace).  I ride only trails, I have had a Leatt and currently use an EVS, just ordered an Atlas from BTO.  I will not ride without one, and IMO no one should.  OK, lets start this same argument...again, even though last time I cited a recent study that showed that in fact they do work.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

No proof they work and probably never will be any. Is it a good idea? I don't know. I wear everything but one nor knee braces (which have many studies to prove they don't provide protection on healthy knees).

Wear what you think helps you but have knowledge to look thru advertising hype.

Edited by DR.billZ
  • Like 4

How much gear you do or don't wear is an entirely personal matter.

I have some friends who really pile the layers on and it's my opinion that they fall more often because of it. But each to his own. Other than advocating basic safety gear like boots, gloves and helmet as a minimum it's just a personal choice how much you do or don't wear.

• Like 6

How much gear you do or don't wear is an entirely personal matter.

I have some friends who really pile the layers on and it's my opinion that they fall more often because of it. But each to his own. Other than advocating basic safety gear like boots, gloves and helmet as a minimum it's just a personal choice how much you do or don't wear.

Yep, although I have well known strong opinions about neck protection I have to agree with you. 

• Like 2

No proof they work and probably never will be any. Is it a good idea? I don't know. I wear everything but one nor knee braces (which have many studies to prove they don't provide protection on healthy knees).

Wear what you think helps you but have knowledge to look thru advertising hype.

Its more than hype, read this couple of links.  Even though the first one links to Leatt's site, its NOT a Leatt article, its the original Dirt Rider article where they took a close look at them.  Please read it.

http://leatt.com/manuals/DirtRider/

AND

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/the-neck-brace-web-component/

?

Don't even care.

What's going to happen (most of the time) is that I'm going to get up, shake the snow out of my helmet or dust myself off, then push my sled over or pick my bike up and keep on riding.

About the only thing I don't wear is a neck brace - if I keep with the snowmobile racing thing that may be something I add (Don't think it'll work well with my airbag pack though, so I doubt I'd wear one in the backcountry... given that's most of the riding I do, interference with my pack is the reason I don't have one yet).

Helmet, vest, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey or snocross armored shorts, knee guards, boots... :ph34r:

(Most of) The gear you wear is entirely up to you.  (I'm not going to ride with you if you don't wear a helmet...)

In the backcountry on snow, yes, you need your avalanche gear to save my ass if I make a bad decision.  There's people I don't ride with anymore because of their attitude on avalanche safety.

But as far as PPE goes, wear whatever you want to wear to make yourself comfortable.

DSC01470_-M.jpg

i-MN9WbmZ-M.jpg

DSC_9755_-M.jpg

• Like 6

I guess I should clarify my POV on neck braces and trail riding.  If you just cruise around on the trails taking in the view and having fun on a bike, then a neck brace is probably unnecessary.  But if you are into hauling ass on trails as if they are a woodsy MX track, like I do, then you are crazy not to wear one.

• Like 5

I wear everything but one nor knee braces (which have many studies to prove they don't provide protection on healthy knees).

100% can prove you otherwise. I snapped my asterisks in half in the whoops at Red Bud. My dad could hear them break from in the stands. I got up and walked away. All 8 steel cables broke. Hit my knee so hard on the handlebar it smashed the kill switch. I will never ever ever ride without knee braces.

• Like 6

You dress for the crash not the ride. You're not in high school(I suspect anyway) who cares what other people think. I wear a vest, neck brace, knee braces, elbow guards, boots, helmet and i dont care if others think I'm overdoing it. At the end of the day if you hit the ground you're going to wish you had that stuff on.

• Like 7

I only trail ride and I wear everything but a neck brace (which I will probably get one soon).  I had a tip over last night that would have really messed my knee and elbow up had I not had protection on.  

Personally, I don't get going riding w/out all the protective gear.  The main complaint I hear is that all that stuff is hot, which it mostly true, but it's a small price to pay in the event of a get off imo.  

ETA:  Don't listen to stupid people.  Like others have said, wear what you're comfortable with, regardless of what the haters say.  

Edited by Mudd94
  • Like 3

I only trail ride and I wear everything but a neck brace (which I will probably get one soon).  I had a tip over last night that would have really messed my knee and elbow up had I not had protection on.  

Personally, I don't get going riding w/out all the protective gear.  The main complaint I hear is that all that stuff is hot, which it mostly true, but it's a small price to pay in the event of a get off imo.  

ETA:  Don't listen to stupid people.  Like others have said, wear what you're comfortable with, regardless of what the haters say.  

Try the Atlas neck brace, the 2014 is on sale for half price from BTO.  It is extremely light weight and non restrictive.

I used to get sh*t for always at least wearing my helmet and boots, even for a quick rip around the corner or whatever. 

Until one of my buddies had his foot ripped off from his ankle because he was riding in tennis shoes. And all he did was go down the road. You better believe they haven't ragged on me since lol. 

We all know the risks. It takes two seconds to throw the gear on, just do it. 

Whoever gives you hell for wearing gear is a jackass in my book. Dirt bikes are dangerous, we all know this. You just never know why/when you're going to crash. 

Also, if I'm not wearing the gear that makes me comfortable, I'm not as fast. I won't feel right on the bike. Wear whatever makes you confident while riding because the second you get unsure or lose confidence is the second you crash. Just my $.02

Edited by C_Jay_B
  • Like 5

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. There is always that what if but I think it all comes down to prefrence. I can almost always be seen in A-Star riding boots, riding/denim pants, gloves, helmet and a t-shirt.

That's all the gear I prefer to wear. I can also see why they would say you wear too much gear.