krisnet55

NewYork Thinking of buying an Enduro but concerned where to ride. NY NY

Hey guys I need some insight here. I currently ride sportbikes exclusively on race tracks, I dont ride street except for a scooter that I use for commute purposes and errands.

I recently bought a house and had a baby and been thinking of calling it quits as far as going to the track with my sports bike, too expensive and feel its getting a bit dangerous due to currently being in expert.

However I just cant stop riding something (besides the scooter lol). Ive been thinking about buying an enduro and having some fun on open trails and woods. Not so into mx riding (at least I think) where jumping is invovled due to fear of getting badly hurt.

Now here is the question/concern. I keep hearing the hassles it is to find an area to ride enduro/off road. Is this true? Whats the truth to this? I would hate to sell my track bike and buy an enduro only to find out I cant ride the darn thing anywhere or be able ride only once in a blue moon. Would be great if if there is spots where you can also bring the family along and make a very short camping vacation.  Im also further screwed cause I work on weekends most of the time and dont see myself riding alone on weekdays. I live in Long Island, NY and im willing to travel up to 3 hours to get some riding, but most of the places I see that are rider friendly are all like 6+ hours away and that a bit too far out for my liking.

Also as a side note I dont know jack about enduro or mx motorcycles. Been reading the last couple of days to get as much knowledge as I can, wish I had half the knowledge I have on sportbikes. That being said it would also be awesome to find a group of guys that can steer me in the right direcction and give me some riding tips.

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated

Edited by krisnet55
  • Like 1

Hi

I'm living at Sayreville,NJ.Looking friends to ride trail.

Choosing wich bike should I buy.I need someone to start that.

Den

theirs spots out there but its hard to find people to ride with during the week. i usually work weekends as well. i think theirs some riding in eastern LI. NETRA and ECEA have alot of sactioned events for dualsport bikes. so do a search on those clubs.

if your a small guy get a 250, if your a big guy a bike like a drz400 would be a good bike to start out with. CT and MASS has some legal riding. theirs a club in LI that does rides on private property i think its called LTIRC.

Edited by elrontx

So basically there are plenty of spots but the thing is finding a buddy to go along with.

But can't you just go to spots and from there meet people? Or to get in certain areas you have to know someone already?

Edited by krisnet55

We'll you live in probably one of the hardest places in the country to find places to ride. 

Sorry not to be the downer, but you have the odds stacked against you there.

I am lucky as I live on the boarder of Wharton, and have a trail head just a mile or two from my house to endless trails.  If I had to drive even an hour, sadly I'd probably give it up.

Edited by 95jersey

We'll you live in probably one of the hardest places in the country to find places to ride. 

Sorry not to be the downer, but you have the odds stacked against you there.

I am lucky as I live on the boarder of Wharton, and have a trail head just a mile or two from my house to endless trails.  If I had to drive even an hour, sadly I'd probably give it up.

Damn man, some of you guys are spoiled, lol. I only ride on the track and travel 2 1/2 hours each way. Ill admit that it has become a hassle, but once I get there its all worth it. What really drags is driving back.

I was in a similar situation several years ago.  I started out street riding, then turned my bike into a dedicated track bike and did as many track days as I could.  But going down to NJMP for 1 or 2 days every month was time consuming and expensive.

When my son turned 8 years old, I got him a dirt bike and we started trail riding.  Even up here in Orange County (where I live), legal trails are scarce.  Like you, I didn't think I'd be doing much motocross riding (mainly because it was so unfamiliar to me), but one day my son and I decided to give it a shot at one of the local tracks and now it's all we do; we absolutely love it.  I won't say it's the safest sport in the world, but you can start out rolling jumps and then slowly work your way up.  

I wound up selling my track bike last year and don't really miss it at all.  We are very fortunate to be within 40 minutes of two public tracks (Walden MX & AK Farms) and we've got access to a private track as well.  Unfortunately, I think it might be difficult to find legal places to trail ride (especially on L.I.), but if you reconsider getting into motocross, there are a few more options not that far from you (within 3 hours).  Although the two tracks I mentioned are only open on specific weekends, the track at Englishtown (NJ) has practice almost every Wednesday (in addition to weekends).  Once you get to the track, meeting people is easy; most everyone is very friendly & helpful.

The type of bike you choose depends on the type of riding you plan to do.  I progressed from a trail only bike (Honda XR 250), to a trail / motocross bike (KTM 250 XC), to a motocross only bike (KTM 450 SXF) as I figured out what I wanted to do ha ha.

If you did decide to give mx a shot at one of the nearby tracks, there are a LOT of good pointers in the MX Riding Technique forum for first time track riders, and a lot of the same rules from paved track riding apply - wear all your gear, hold your line, look ahead, practice good brake & throttle control, and have fun  :ride: .

Think urban dual sport... more streetable tires, riding around and through abandoned factories and warehouses, up and off loading docks...

LI is tough though there are a few areas out to the east, namely around the old Grumman plant, at least that was the case a short while ago. 

Plenty of stuff in NNJ, Rockland/Orange, you just need to scout around a bit. Google earth is your friend. A lot of it is technical though given the rocky nature of the terrian around here. 

If you're happy riding a couple hours, there's lots of stuff in PA and a few areas in CT. 

I recently got back on the dirt after a 15 year (!) absence, and I was quite surprised with the amount of riding I've been able to get in. Having something that makes exploring trails easy is the best method for finding good places to ride. :)

Edited by Simba

I have a enduro drz400 and a klx 250 I think the klx 250 would be better if your just starting out trail riding it's light and not so tall with decent power. I been looking for people to ride with also. I live on Staten island and there's nowhere to ride here I usually drive 2hours to PA to ride. I was going at this place called crystal lake in NJ but a girl died there so they cracked down hard. If you find new places to ride I would definitely join you.

Maybe you should look into a Suzuki DRZ-400SM. Looks like a dirt bike, but street legal with street bike tires. Unfortunately this area isn't dirt bike friendly area and it's getting worse. Wharton Forest in South Jersey recently closed down 58% of all the trails to motorized travel and all the other forests are soon to follow. I bought a street bike in 2011 and have a lot of fun exploring back roads. Miss riding in the dirt, but I don't see a bright future for dirt biking in NJ.  

Let me save you some time here. DO NOT buy a DRZ if trail riding is going to be anymore than 30% of your riding time. They are pigs on the trails. Get a KTM 350, 500 or a used 450 EXC, you won't regret it. Believe me, I've been this route before.

Let me save you some time here. DO NOT buy a DRZ if trail riding is going to be anymore than 30% of your riding time. They are pigs on the trails. Get a KTM 350, 500 or a used 450 EXC, you won't regret it. Believe me, I've been this route before.

[Don't buy a DRZ if you're gonna do a lot of trail riding? That's crazy, I owned an XR 400 for years, when I switched to my DRZ400E 5 years ago, I thought I died and went to heaven. The XR was a pig, the DRZ is a great motorcycle./quote]

Think urban dual sport... more streetable tires, riding around and through abandoned factories and warehouses, up and off loading docks...

XR650L_Dave has an excellent alternative idea here to your dilemma.

Here's what I know:

NW NJ - there's a good amount of trials to explore and some pretty kick ass terrain however, EVERYTHING is illegal.  So you really have to be with a local who knows if said area is patrolled or not. 

Southern NJ - there is some legal state land to ride and quite a bit of it, I"m told.

L.I. - I'm just guessing... it's probably similar to NW NJ but with more sandy/dusty conditions

PA - there's parks everywhere. You pay a small fee and ride all day.  Alot of these parks have camping too.

don't know much about upstate NY or CT.... I bet there's some parks.  I know for sure there is clubs that ride private property.

as far as bikes go: everyone is gonna tell ya something different.  My advice; just buy an older one and start having some fun.  They're easy to maintain and you can sell it when you outgrow it. Then you'll have a better idea as to kind of bike to buy next.

have fun, good luck!

I'm on LI and this has been an mx year for me.  There are a few tracks within 3 hours.  But don't forget organized dual sports.  There are plenty of them and if you ride with a couple of friends, it might just be the most fun you ever had on a bike.  This one should be good -> http://pinebarrens500.org/

Definitely get a bike...

Hey guys,

Looping in, a few years later, with the intent to revive this thread.

I am from Spain and just moved to NYC for work. Back home I own an old (very old) Africa Twin from 1988 (still starts on cold even after 100,000 kms) and 2009 Gas Gas, 450cc of pure national enduro pride. Having now settled in, I am starting to miss the pleasures of home, including, of course, enduro riding. I'm looking to buy a bike and join whatever gang/crew/club who shares the passion of trail riding.

Anybody in NYC with a trailer (or willingness to share the costs of purchasing one) with good knowledge of what's what re enduro riding near NYC? "Near" doesn't have to be close (i.e., a couple of hours are definitely not ideal, but don't scare me). Happy to return the favor anytime you find yourselves in Spain.

Cheers

P.s. this weekend I'm going to check out KTM's concessionaire in the Bronx - anyone been there?

from nyc, most of your riding is going to be a couple hours away but the suggestions from earlier in this thread are all good. southern NJ is easy to get to and there are miles and miles to ride, though you better love sand. eastern PA is good too if you prefer rocks. 

there are a lot of dual sport rides in the area that will allow get you on trails that are private or not otherwise legal at other times. ECEA puts on a number of them every year as well as enduros, hare scrambles, etc. 

basically there’s a lot of great riding but it’s all a couple hours away. 

11 hours ago, rkdwp said:

from nyc, most of your riding is going to be a couple hours away but the suggestions from earlier in this thread are all good. southern NJ is easy to get to and there are miles and miles to ride, though you better love sand. eastern PA is good too if you prefer rocks. 

there are a lot of dual sport rides in the area that will allow get you on trails that are private or not otherwise legal at other times. ECEA puts on a number of them every year as well as enduros, hare scrambles, etc. 

basically there’s a lot of great riding but it’s all a couple hours away. 

Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. 

In southern NJ and eastern PA, are there places/areas/towns in particular? Is that legal? No need for exact location, just wish to understand whether people trailer the bikes to a specific place or if they just park somewhere on the road and explore. Rocks over sand, always!

I checked ECEA. Looks fun. Probably a good way to meet other riders too. Do you just sign up, and trailer your bike to the relevant location?

A couple of hours is OK.

Thanks again!