Sign in to follow this  

Clearing over grown trail!

A couple of years ago I made a trail through the woods near my house and I haven't been keeping it trimmed up this last year and now it is over grown with thorns and I am trying to figure out the quickest way to kill all the thorns and brush around my trail anyone know the quickest solution to this problem?

Get some friends with quads and tare them up take a pare of long and short handled shears. Quads brother

• Like 1

I have a Swisher 44" brush cutter. It is the kind you pull behind a 4 wheeler. Works great for 4 Wheeler width trails. For single track and for clearing anything including overhanging a creeping brush and limbs, I have got a brush attachment for my echo weedwhip, then I got the optional 80 tooth blade. You'd never believe how well this works, I will never use a machete again. We have lots of trail to keep clear and I kick myself for only discovering this a year ago.

Awesome Everyone is telling me four wheelers are my best bet for cleaning it up and if I had one I would for sure go get at pull trimmer like yours but I don't have even have a four wheeler so I guess I'm just gonna get the hedge trimmer out and then just ride it a bunch with a couple buddies.

• Like 1

Kill it at the roots!

Herbicide with a liitle dish detergent as a "sticker" so it stays on the waxy leaves of the thorns 

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 2

Kill it at the roots!

Herbicide with a liitle dish detergent as a "sticker" so it stays on the waxy leaves of the thorns

I wouldn't spray weed killer you get caught your in deep shit they can cal the dep on you really hang you out to dry you need a license to spray that shit of your property. Just beat it down riding on it.
  • Like 1

How long is the trail and how wide do you want it?  If you're looking for single track and it's only a couple miles long, just spend a few hours with some hand prunners or loppers and cut back the face slappers and call it a day.  Then when you get some friends over and ride it a bit, it'll be open enough.  If you need it wider than that, then the people who've said to get some quads in there are correct. 

An herbicide is OK for spot treatment, but if you are trying to keep the whole trail open, it'll get expensive quick.  Also, that's not really permanent.  It'll work for this year, but there will be plenty of seeds that'll grow next year and put you back to square one.

• Like 2

I wouldn't spray weed killer you get caught your in deep shit they can cal the dep on you really hang you out to dry you need a license to spray that shit of your property. Just beat it down riding on it.

You need to educate yourself so you don’t spread BS

What do you think they sell at Lowes or Home depot?

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 1

You do you think they sell at Lowes or Home depot?

I'd say it depends.  On your own property in the USA, it most certainly is a "have at it" attitude, but I'm not sure the OP's trail is on his own property.

I made a trail through the woods near my house

I'm gonna assume that even if it isn't on his own property, it's still private property and not state/federal land.  If it is gov't owned, then he'll have bigger problems than using weed killer if he's caught anyways.

• Like 1

Awesome Everyone is telling me four wheelers are my best bet for cleaning it up and if I had one I would for sure go get at pull trimmer like yours but I don't have even have a four wheeler so I guess I'm just gonna get the hedge trimmer out and then just ride it a bunch with a couple buddies.

you don't need a 4 wheeler for the trimmer. You just walk with it. I guess I don't know what your land is like but mind is thick and dense undergrowth. I've done a lot of machete work in my time on our trails, the trimmer is easily 10x faster and less work and that is no exaggeration. Just riding a trail won't make a trail in my land it'll just cut you up and be impossible anyway. Good luck. Weed killer isn't a great solution just for the amount you need and again for creeping in branches and brush. We have stuff that grows nearly horizontal, dogwood brush etc.

You just need to get off TT and get your butt out there and start trimming! 

It's only gonna keep growing lol

Edited by C_Jay_B
  • Like 5

You do you think they sell at Lowes or Home depot?

maybe in California. Herbicide is great for trail maintenance. I've killed tons of briar st my house. You can just ride then down.

If its really bad i will use my weed whacker with a brush attachment. If you can see the trail i will just ride it in with a group of friends.. For certain things i will use weed killer also

A couple of years ago I made a trail through the woods near my house and I haven't been keeping it trimmed up this last year and now it is over grown with thorns and I am trying to figure out the quickest way to kill all the thorns and brush around my trail anyone know the quickest solution to this problem?

I am right next door to you in Illinois.  I do a ton of trail work at 3 clubs.  My weapon of choice is a sharp folding saw that sits between my handlebar and number plate. 

Wear leather glovers, long sleves, and drink plenty of water.

Depending on how overgrown, what type of stickers, and your budget, I would also consider all the above mentioned items.  To maintain it once it is open, rig a backpack sprayer with several nozzles pointing to the sides and blast some brush killer like 2-4-D while you are idling thru.