Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Went for a ride yesterday in the woods. Temp was a balmy 91 degrees, humidity level around 80%. I drank a quart of water, two bottles of Gatorade during the morning before the ride. I even ate a banana to increase my potassium levels. Emptied my hydro pack of 72 ozs during the ride. The only thing dry on me after the ride was my mouth. Rode hard for an hour, took a smoke break and hit it again for another hour. Loaded up, went home and sat my tired butt in the recliner. So I decided to get up out of recliner and go to the kitchen and get me a snack. Well the motion of my legs pushing down on the recliner to get up was the final straw. Got a charlie horse in the left leg and in the attempt to straighten it out the right leg joined the party. Now I'm on the floor trying to straighten them out so the cramps will relax and the wife walks in. She's standing over me and asks if I need help getting my old a55 up. I said no just leave me here for a bit. Then she tells me I ain't as young as I used to be and might want to pursue a different hobby. I couldn't walk away from her as I usually do when she says things I don't want to hear cause I couldn't get off the floor. So I looked at her with the best eat sh and die look I could muster. Then asked could she bring me a cigarette and an ashtray please. The answer was no apparently cause she walked out of the room. Must have been that look I gave her. So I had to slide across the room to get me a smoke. Getting old sucks, but I feel so young while riding.

• Like 12

No matter what the temp I always wear my hydro pack.  Having been a runner for 45 years I can't emphasize how important hydration is to your well being. ?

BTW, is your wife related to my wife, they sound like twins. ?

• Like 1

You feel a lot older than you are because of the coffin nails you are ingesting. I guess I'm most alarmed by the fact that you smoke inside your house.. You don't have kids, pets, or other non-smokers in this house do you? Have you given any consideration to their health? 

-Signed Non-Smoker who has a parent that is dying slowly from smoking all of her life

• Like 7

You feel a lot older than you are because of the coffin nails you are ingesting. I guess I'm most alarmed by the fact that you smoke inside your house.. You don't have kids, pets, or other non-smokers in this house do you? Have you given any consideration to their health? 

-Signed Non-Smoker who has a parent that is dying slowly from smoking all of her life

What he said, too. ^

A tip I got from a GNCC champion was to drink a Coke after riding to deal with cramping. Followed by plenty of water. Since I've started doing it I haven't experienced muscle cramps after rides.

Its the caffeine. It's not good for the heart but I also sometimes do this. It's an old NHL trick too. 

I like the powerade zeros

The sugar replacement is even worse than the regular sugar. 

• Like 3