Clutch Cover Oil Sight Glass - what you think?

We've been tossing around the idea of producing a DRZ clutch cover that includes an oil sight glass. This wouldn't be for checking the actual oil level (since the DRZ is a dry sump), however it would let you verify there is oil flowing through the engine and see how clean/dirty the oil is. 

What do you guys think, is there a need/want for a stronger-than-stock clutch cover that includes an oil sight glass?

Here's a mockup of the design, and picture of the bike marking the placement of where the sight glass will be. 

oil sight glass.jpg

oil sight glass location.jpg

• Like 2

There is a need for a stronger cover. The sight window would be a great plus. For my .02 I would like to see it made/cnc'd with cooling fins that are truly functional. It would look cool and add a much needed cooling function.

• Like 1

My KTM had a sight glass. The glass got kinda yellowish and scuffed up from riding the trails and was hard to tell it was clean when looking through it even right after an oil change. That was just my bike and experience with a sight glass.

Now for an SM I'm interested since it's all street.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Define "right price"?

Well, if it added strength and possibly better heat conductance as suggested by Jim I would think about it at stock replacement cost +/- a bit.  OK I see that's about $125 which isn't much for a complete new CNC clutch cover.  I see Wheeling has a CNC version made by TMV for $150.  I'm guessing you would have to be somewhere around there.  

Now the question is would I spend that much just to get a sight glass? Seriously doubt it.  However if my cover was broken and there was an improvement over stock that was reasonably close in price and had a sight glass, well then that is a no brainer.  

• Like 2

Cooling fins take more cleaning effort.

A soft brush would clean it in seconds. It is also in an area that doesn't get as dirty as other parts of the bike. Except in a real muddy play spot. Then it just gets everywhere. Hard to clean up even without fins.

We've been tossing around the idea of producing a DRZ clutch cover that includes an oil sight glass. verify there is oil flowing through the engine and see how clean/dirty the oil is. 

They make a clear oil filter cover so you can see the oil flowing and what color the oil is for $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400SM-Clear-Motorcycle-Engine-Oil-Filter-Cover-Case-16512-47E00-/171691189056

• Like 1

They make a clear oil filter cover so you can see the oil flowing and what color the oil is for $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400SM-Clear-Motorcycle-Engine-Oil-Filter-Cover-Case-16512-47E00-/171691189056

If people are concerned with the oil being cooled and the stock cover being broken adding a piece of plastic just creates another problem, right? Plastic breaks easy and doesn't dissipate heat.

• Like 1

If people are concerned with the oil being cooled and the stock cover being broken adding a piece of plastic just creates another problem, right? Plastic breaks easy and doesn't dissipate heat.

How much extra heat would it dissipate if they added a a mm or 2 of metal and fins?  I would assume it would be negligible especially at a low speed and at higher speeds the air flow would need to be directed toward it for it to be efficient.   An old drz expert once said and I quote "drz's are not hard on oil because of heat" when referring to adding an oil cooler.  If overheating is a concern then oversize radiators\Adding another fan or a higher cfm fan would be a better option since you also benefit while sitting still.  Those fins won't do any good if you're stuck in mud trying to power yourself out.