Sign in to follow this  

Wrangler owners

Check your brake lines occasionally. This also goes for all 4x4s due to the amount of suspension travel. Here are some pics of my sons wrangler after the peddle went to the floor. He pulled over to the side of the interstate and called me telling me the brakes didn't work. Then..... Poof!

Apparently he was pumping brake fluid onto the exhaust.

image.jpg

Check your brake lines occasionally. This also goes for all 4x4s due to the amount of suspension travel. Here are some pics of my sons wrangler after the peddle went to the floor. He pulled over to the side of the interstate and called me telling me the brakes didn't work. Then..... Poof!

image.jpg

Wow, bummer to hear that. My old prerunner took a lot of hard line bracing to prevent flexing where it shouldn't. I had a hard line break more than once right where it comes off of the master cylinder. Usually after a hard weekend off road. Fortunately never had it light up like a bonfire though.

Except for every electronic circuit in the vehicle :smirk:

And vacuum hoses, and rack-n-pinion steering, and ball joints, and heater fan resistor, and front main bearings....can you tell I used to own a Dodge truck?

Never any issues with my Jeep though, just a TPS, and maintenance on the aftermarket lift. Luckily my lift (Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 5.5") came with steel braided brake lines.

• Like 2

Wow, bummer to hear that. My old prerunner took a lot of hard line bracing to prevent flexing where it shouldn't. I had a hard line break more than once right where it comes off of the master cylinder. Usually after a hard weekend off road. Fortunately never had it light up like a bonfire though.

I'm guessing it broke/split near the caliper, but I'll never be sure because there's no evidence left.

Good thing your son is safe!

I have a Dodge so nothing to worry about. Hahahahaha

He's fine. I was on the phone with him when he said "the paint is starting to bubble on the hood". I said "get the &%$#@! out its on fire, try to flag down a truck and ask for a fire extinguisher".

No one did.

I'm guessing it broke/split near the caliper, but I'll never be sure because there's no evidence left.

I'll admit I'm not educated on Jeeps and their layouts, but I'd imagine it's a challenged for enough brake fluid to make it to the header from that location. I'd think it's more likely where you went from a hard line to flexible line. On my truck it was about 3 inches from the header.

That's why I keep two extinguishers in my Jeep

Just one of those is probably worth more than the Jeep.
  • Like 1

And vacuum hoses, and rack-n-pinion steering, and ball joints, and heater fan resistor, and front main bearings....can you tell I used to own a Dodge truck?

Never any issues with my Jeep though, just a TPS, and maintenance on the aftermarket lift. Luckily my lift (Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 5.5") came with steel braided brake lines.

This is my 4th Dodge Ram and never had any issues mentioned above. *Knock on Wood*

• Like 1

He's fine. I was on the phone with him when he said "the paint is starting to bubble on the hood". I said "get the &%$#@! out its on fire, try to flag down a truck and ask for a fire extinguisher".

No one did.

No one helps now a days.

There is evidence, you just need to know what you looking at.............

good way for a insurance scam, just pull over on highway, lift hood, cut the fuel line, light match, watch vehicle go up then 35 mins later after FD shows up and car is a inferno just say car started dying out and when u popped hood it went up.

So, your saying I should top off the brake reservoir and up the wife's life insurance policy?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

momjeep_zpsf8be6320.jpg

• Like 5

This is my 4th Dodge Ram and never had any issues mentioned above. *Knock on Wood*

My 2500 has been very reliable too, only the annoying Dodge stuff like a cracked dash and peeling clear coat. Mechanically, it's probably the most reliable vehicle I've had in quite some time.

In the picture it doesn't look like the jeep had a big lift.  I know that a lot of people lift their rig, put on the lines that came with the lift and then never think about it again.  On mine the brake cables that came with the lift were ok but playing flexing my rig with a forklift a bunch of times showed the front springs can come unseated and the axle will droop more than you think and more than the longer lines can accommodate.  Glad you boy is ok and didn't get hurt or crash.  It is a scary thought on that scenario.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Shoot, I thought this thread was gonna be about jeans, not car-b-q's. That's some scary chit! Glad he's o.k.