Sign in to follow this  

I ride an xr200 1991 and got some fly boots for fairly cheap used. Shifting is hard! And unless I hold my foot out towards the side I always accident up shift. And brakes, I can't be as gentle with them. It's either no breakers or rear wheel lock up. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think everyone has been there when they started wearing boots. I usually feel like that every time I get new boots even.

In a couple rides, you'll forget you're even wearing them and feel funny even riding around your yard without them.

• Like 6

Some of its that you have cheap boots that are new. They will be super stiff.

Boots like the sidi crossfire are flexible in the direction you want and not in the directions you need protection.

• Like 1

Ya you just gotta break them in.  It took me a while to break mine in and now I got a new pair and they're super stiff compared. wear em around your yard mowing the lawn or yard work or something and maybe adjust your shifter to accommodate where your foot is landing if you have problems knocking into gears you're not lookin for :s

Eventually they will give you comfort and just getting on the bike without them will feel very strange.  Also, adjust your shift up a notch if you need too, and maybe your brake pedal down a little...

• Like 2

90% wear boots for the fashion show. And I'm waiting for all to chime in and say how much boots are a necessity, these are the same guys that wear a full jersey every time they ride. Bottom line is.....It there are girls you are trying to impress, suit up. If not, then just ride man!

But with that said......get some hours in with your boots, you'll get use to them in no time...I promise. And the ladies will love you.

Move you shifter up a notch...............try it, need more .........move up another notch.

One notch should do the trick though.

You will get better with the boots, give it time and practice.

• Like 3

90% wear boots for the fashion show. And I'm waiting for all to chime in and say how much boots are a necessity, these are the same guys that wear a full jersey every time they ride. Bottom line is.....It there are girls you are trying to impress, suit up. If not, then just ride man!

Honda_Power?

• Like 12

They aren't new just new to me. I almost feel like I need a longer shift lever.

Oh hey I forgot to mention that you can actually shift with the inside edge of your boot sole vs trying to get your entire foot under the shifter. 

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Move your shifter up one spline. Adjust the brake pedal to suit your needs.

Edited by seer

You do have better options. You & I ride the same terran I bet. I, like you hate the feel of MX style boots. I switched to a trials motorcycle boot. It's the best kept secret amongst trail riders. Alpinestars trial zero, Forma boulder, Gaerne oil balanced (water proof), & Sidi(can't remember the name) are all great options. I actually ride better with them on(gaerne & forma). Precise braking & shifting. I have over 200 hours of riding gnarly single track with them on. Never had a problem with my feet.

You can pm me your number & we can talk. Away from the chatter of Thumper Talk.

• Like 1

Since they are Flys they probably have that stupid metal thing on the toe.  Remove it.  It will make the boots more user friendly.

• Like 1

Adjust your shift lever( most prefer it higher )..Practice using your rear binders while wearing your boots,,this will make you a better  rider (brake in every banked corner that you can ) ,    When not covering the rear brake keep   toes back & away by riding on the balls of your feet .(   both sides,,) Tip the left toe down to get under the shift lever... when sitting , slide closer to the tank as this improves handling( and shifting ).  Boots are a good thing, and after a couple rides and a little adjustment  you'll find a sweet spot .  

Have fun . 

Edited by old_tri
  • Like 2