Sign in to follow this  

Trials bikes?

I just bought a new 2015 Shirco trials Factory 300. Wanted a trials bike for many years and finally took the plunge. I do allot of very extreme enduro riding and have found the need to improve my low speed and balance skills many times. I've only ridden it once so far other than in front of the house and had a great time. Wasn't so good for riding the more basic trails on the way to the rocks but once there it was so amazing, made everything way too easy in that spot. This bike and I are going to have a long relationship I hope much to the dismay of my Husaberg TE300.

• Like 3

I'm gonna have to start saving for one![/quote

I know, want to find one used, but they are so rare.

They are "rare" only in the sense that they by no means produce/sell as many per year.  But the Used market is not in the 'mainstream" outlets, that is for sure.  Our "sport" as it is, most of us got tired of being hurt at higher speeds, and still wanted something to challenge us.  Many find the sport by chance encounters, then bring our buddies "in" with us, and me and my dad actively even try to recruit "strangers" by offering information, even when approached at local "quicky-Marts".  This is lot of the reason why trials bikes don't get listed either.  you will see the ones llisted in places like Craigslist, they probably didnt feel like they fit in, or whatever reason, they quit and are selling the bike...  in trials clubs, one new bike gets bought, lots of times several bikes get shuffled...

Wanted one for years. I have a trials bicycle in my collection that I love, but trials dirt bike unfortunately don't have beginner pricing.

Spencer, I submit to you that you can find "beginner bikes" almost as exactly as cheap as a used dirt/MX/woods bike, usually in better shape if the bike was owned by someone who is riding trials competitions on them...  I reserve the right to say "dirtbiker" trail riding a trials bike, probably not so much...

Anywho, My point is lets look at it.  A 10 year old gasgas, in a balpark range, is worth about $1800 maybe as high as $2500, in plains states in great shape, Everything is higher or costs more more on either coast and seems to go up as you approach them... 

but I think a 10 year old gasgas is (we're talking the latest pro model they made) are as competitive as almost new models, depending on upkeep and maintenance...  Trials bikes make small slices of change every few years, they a strong changes sometimes, but hardly anything that would stop a beginner from getting started, probably through 2 years of competition or more to an Amatuer Level...  The bike in fine working operational condition, can be ridden by an advanced "trials skills" individual to outperform any "new" trials bike produced anywhere, ridden by an average competitor...  I do NOT know if that is so true in MX/Woods racing of any kind?  

Trials bikes wear out chains, tires grips levers maybe, and "decals" where as most compeitive motor sports involving speed, wear out rings, pistons, cylinders, lots of RPM ready type maintenance.  My trials bike revs up past half throttle maybe once a month, if I fall off it funny, or try some higher skill ledges and stuff.  the bike is at idle most of their life/riding, which is less heat and wear & tear and fatigue on these engines...

just food for thought

• Like 2

Even with higher revs they aren't held there for very long. Tyres and the other stuff they wear out lasts a lot longer than mx for me.

For anyone looking to try it out, 4rts seem to hold their value well so buying and selling isn't likely to lose much, if any; and they haven't changed much in 10 years so it's like a new bike lol

i've ridden them. i don't own one, but it's on my list.

i'd highly recommend getting one for working on balance. plus, they are a whole lot of fun.

all the top hard enduro riders are former trials champs and have amazing skill on enduro bikes because of it.

+1

I didn't get started with trials until later on in life, but it has been a huge influence on how I ride a dirtbike. Most enduro riders (without a trials background) attack trail obstacles using speed and momentum. That's all fine and dandy if you can carry momentum, but it can be very hard to find on gnarly terrain. Skills like balance, precise throttle control, and clutch control allow you to navigate obstacles when you don't have the momentum to carry you through it.

It's also easier to practice different techniques like log crossings, etc on a trials bike. Because you can go so slow on on a trials bike, it gives you that extra time to think about everything you need to do to make it over the log. Once you figure it out on the trials bike, it will second nature on the dirtbike.

Lastly, I can actually have fun riding my trials bike and practicing skills in my front yard...can't really do that on the dirtbike without gearing up for a full blown ride in the woods behind my house.

They develop your skills at slow technical riding.

I just bought a new 2015 Shirco trials Factory 300. Wanted a trials bike for many years and finally took the plunge. I do allot of very extreme enduro riding and have found the need to improve my low speed and balance skills many times. I've only ridden it once so far other than in front of the house and had a great time. Wasn't so good for riding the more basic trails on the way to the rocks but once there it was so amazing, made everything way too easy in that spot. This bike and I are going to have a long relationship I hope much to the dismay of my Husaberg TE300.

Almost any Trials bike from about 2000 on is the same style as the new ones. I have an 04 Montesa 315R, and while it may not be as good as a newer model for competition it is fine for my occasional Trials, trail riding,  training, and fun.

In Tennesee they have a trials school. You can spend a weekend riding a trials bike while you are getting some trials schooling. Tried it. loved it. Now I'm selling my 950 KTM to buy my first trials bike.

• Like 2

I had a 315r a few years ago and wish I kept it,I didn't really give trials a chance,I have just bought a 1980 TY 175 twin shock to have another go. I think old school will be good and size and weight will be closer to my enduro bike over the modern trials bikes so I hope the technique will pass over for better enduro

I have an 08 gas gas 300 trials bike, it has helped me ride standing up more confidently better clutch and throttle control, jumping, wheelies, basically it has made me a better Enduro rider faster. But I do ride pretty much everyday. I just throw out a bunch of firewood in my backyard and mess around up and over my deck is the crux move(missing means a wicked 5 foot to face plant) and the mountain bikers don't care if I ride their singletrack with trials bike but I would get shot tearing it up on the fe501...so it opened up more area to ride for me :) I would recommend a smaller then a 300 trials bike it's a bit of a handful sometimes...

• Like 1