How old is too old to SuperMoto ?

I'm 43 years old, bought my drz sm in February, just turned 2000 miles today. I've been riding, basically, since the age of 5. The sm has brought the hooligan out in me. I can't keep the front wheel down and I ride hard. I was riding with my wife, crf250l, and decided to blow a red light. Not actually run it but go into the ditch and jump a driveway and play in the ditch while I waited for her. She said over the helmet intercom, "your too old to be doing that stuff !!! ". My reply was.... Because I can and it makes me happy.... So back to the original question.. "How old is too old too SuperMoto ?? Any thoughts ?

How old to blow a red light on a SM?

I'd say 15-16 years old is too old.....

Lol

How old is too old to RIDE a SM, jump, slide, wheelie a SM?

Not sure but something way to the north of 50

As that is how old I'm am as of the other day.

This morning on the way to work I had the rear end of my bike a good 3 feet out as I power slid my way past the apex and turn exit.

I do that about every time I go though that specific corner.

It is controlled and can endanger no one else if I dump it.

The front end of my bikes regularly see air,,, not the down the freeway at rush hour nonsense of the stunts crowd (which have skills no doubt, just not a lick of brains )

So like drinking, I'd say have fun riding do so in moderation and do so as to not endanger others.. Have  fun

• Like 9

She has a few videos posted up but I can't remember what thread they are in.. She's good!

Well damn! I was all like, why do I feel someone is talking about me bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

53 here, mother of 4 grandmother of 5 (soon to be 6) and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE riding/racing Supermoto. Wheelie tickets SUCK and are not to costly until your insurance sees them bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha. I had to quit riding the Bicycle paths I mean stairs grrrr  I mean sidewalks F***************************************************K I mean streets as I knew I was going to get caught so now I just race :D

So to the OP, AGE means nothing when it comes to Supermoto :D

Here's some of the fun you can and will have :D

• Like 7

Well damn! I was all like, why do I feel someone is talking about me bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

53 here, mother of 4 grandmother of 5 (soon to be 6) and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE riding/racing Supermoto. Wheelie tickets SUCK and are not to costly until your insurance sees them bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha. I had to quit riding the Bicycle paths I mean stairs grrrr I mean sidewalks F***************************************************K I mean streets as I knew I was going to get caught so now I just race :D

So to the OP, AGE means nothing when it comes to Supermoto :D

Here's some of the fun you can and will have :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6K3yMOB5E4

There she is!! Debi I thought you were sleeping on us! Hehe Just kidding! And the talk is all good on here... You know we got ya back!... We just braggin on ya!

There she is!! Debi I thought you were sleeping on us! Hehe Just kidding! And the talk is all good on here... You know we got ya back!... We just braggin on ya!

Nope, not sleeping LOL, Dealing with rebuilding my race bike motor since the stupid right crank bearing said blammo :/ But I have my little YZ250F still :D

BTW, in this vid I posting, the guy asking me how he's doing is riding my YZ250F as his WR400 blew up so he has been riding racing my back up and I swear he is faster on it LOL

great video Debi!

Thanks, here's another track we play/race on. It is kinda narrow and tight but fun with some fun off camber stuff that likes to make you hug the ground LOL.

• Like 2

Remember, the ones giving you advice here are Alive, the Dead or Maimed would say something different.

I temper my excitement with the part of my brain responsible for self-preservation.  43 is relatively young and yes, you likely only have about 10-15 more pain free riding years.

But, your body & brain will not heal or recover as well as a 25 year old or 35 year old.  Have fun, but remember you've lived to 43 and that should not be undervalued.  You have loved ones that probably depend on you, not just as an income earner but caretaker and passer-on of knowledge and wisdom.  Take out some life insurance and take your high risks to the track.  

Live long and Prosper!

Edited by ScurveyJoe
  • Like 2

Remember, the ones giving you advice here are Alive, the Dead or Maimed would say something different.

I temper my excitement with the part of my brain responsible for self-preservation.  43 is relatively young and yes, you likely only have about 10-15 more pain free riding years.

But, your body & brain will not heal or recover as well as a 25 year old or 35 year old.  Have fun, but remember you've lived to 43 and that should not be undervalued.  You have loved ones that probably depend on you, not just as an income earner but caretaker and passer-on of knowledge and wisdom.  Take out some life insurance and take your high risks to the track.  

Live long and Prosper!

I agree we all should make good safe judgements while riding and safety should ALWAYS come first !!! There is a time and place for everything. I am all loaded up and have put my dirt wheels on my sm and headed to the track / trails with my 16 yr old son. I know that we should ALWAYS set the example for SAFETY for our children, but we also need to show them their is more to life than texting and video games... Yes, everyone in my family ride, wife, 20 yr daughter, 16 yr son, 14 daughter. I am extremely blessed and look forward to spending time riding SAFELY with the family.image.jpgimage.jpg
  • Like 1

Oh and for all of us OLD people, here's how us OLD people do it even with shuuuuuuuuuush fractured tib/fib :D

Yes these dirt jumps were HUGE and on slicks hehe. But lapped up to 3rd even with taking it way easy. Oh, Primm Nevada this past April

https://vimeo.com/125846317

Debi those are some freaking awesome videos. I really enjoyed watching you kick some serious butt on video. Please feel free to post more. You are extremely inspiring...

Debi those are some freaking awesome videos. I really enjoyed watching you kick some serious butt on video. Please feel free to post more. You are extremely inspiring...

Thank you Frank! I just love to ride and I for sure won't let my age, broken bones, blown out knees, destroyed shoulders, broken back and so on stop me :D I might at times have to take a bit of down time but then my mind wanders and I buy more shoes LOL.

If you ever get out to Washington let me know and I will take you out to these tracks, trails and fun roads and also toss you on my race bike.

Here's a video of my second favorite track which is now my favorite since my fav got shut down for us due to silly political issues. This track is very tech even with out the dirt section, lots of subtle elevation changes, rollers, off camber and it just lets you know you don't have the traction/tires figured out lol. Each corner has different traction issues which really makes you think where you want to TRY and make your pass :D

Oh, and there is another track being built out here and from what I am hearing it supposed to be a 1/6th scale of the big road race course ? So come on out for a vacation and do some 300+ mile rides and drink BEER :D

Just a little part of a near 500 mile day we did a number of years ago when I still had my DRZ, shush, riding with a fractured right ulna and radius plus a broken foot :D We will take you on one of hundreds if not more trails ?

• Like 2

Uh, yeah, I'm gonna turn 48 this year.  Have a 3 1/2 yr old boy, 5 yr old and 8 year old girls, and a pretty high stress job.  Can't imagine riding anything but a supermoto.  Riding a supermoto totally ruins your outlook on all other bikes.  About 90% of the bikes in our parking garage at work are cruisers, mainly harleys.  I just cringe at the thought of owning one, would be bored to death on a cruiser.  I find myself always evaluating other bikes on how easy it would be to wheelie, drag the pegs, ride it hard, how tight of single track you could get through.  Anyway, my supermoto is my spork of youth, does nothing great except make me laugh and smile.  Allows me to ride anything, anywhere, anytime.  I already put this out on our local facebook page but every day I ride home, come in from the garage, I fully expect to see all my family, friends, and coworkers all sitting in my house in a circle and they tell me that this is my supermoto/wheelie intervention.

• Like 5

Uh, yeah, I'm gonna turn 48 this year.  Have a 3 1/2 yr old boy, 5 yr old and 8 year old girls, and a pretty high stress job.  Can't imagine riding anything but a supermoto.  Riding a supermoto totally ruins your outlook on all other bikes.  About 90% of the bikes in our parking garage at work are cruisers, mainly harleys.  I just cringe at the thought of owning one, would be bored to death on a cruiser.  I find myself always evaluating other bikes on how easy it would be to wheelie, drag the pegs, ride it hard, how tight of single track you could get through.  Anyway, my supermoto is my spork of youth, does nothing great except make me laugh and smile.  Allows me to ride anything, anywhere, anytime.  I already put this out on our local facebook page but every day I ride home, come in from the garage, I fully expect to see all my family, friends, and coworkers all sitting in my house in a circle and they tell me that this is my supermoto/wheelie intervention.

When are you finally going to go out to the track with me???? I hope I haven't skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerededededed you bwaaaaaaahahahahha

• Like 3

I'm also 43 and just bought my SM.  Hopefully it reignites a passion that has kind of subsided in the last several years.  My Z1K hasn't gotten 500 miles on it in the last 2 years put together.

• Like 1

See Frank, even us OLD people can take a bike with little wheels and smooth tires in the dirt HEHE

Oh and excuse the black Duct tape and Zip ties holding on my brake reservoir, I crashed hard in practice like 2 hours before the races and well, yeah, Micky moused the bike back together so I could try and line up and just try and race. Found out later that I fractured my right tib/fib and tore all the L'l in the same knee :/ So see, you too ten years from now will be telling everyone around you to SHUSH as you just wanna ride BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ztFd94r_DUTj6rV_yN7Eub0ziuQfSPw8Q8zNic56zZs=w429-h643-no

Edited by Debi
  • Like 2

I would say if anything, age is an advantage for supermoto.

Your kids are old enough that you don't need to be consumed by the thought of them losing a parent - at least not like when they're kids. You have survived to an age where you are unlikely to be a candidate for the Darwin Award, so your sensibility will temper any thoughts of going too far. If you happen to do the odd 'silly' thing and get caught, you can probably afford to pay the fines.

In the world of surfing, old farts are now everywhere - this was once a past time limited to youth. You can buy surf shirts and printed on them it says 'Old Guys Rule'.

There's an old saying - youth is wasted on the young. Today, you remain in your youth for as long as you like.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, slap on a set of rains or do what I did and drink beer while you use a tire siper to cut your own tire out of a old slick and go try some Flat track hehe. Who ever said "You can't teach an old Dog new tricks" don't know how us OLD people really work ?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Lwo8EAiul9hK37O6N1y3HVrr4dmIvWnR9RQhouneG24=w858-h643-no

• Like 1

Truer words have never been spoken.

I'm not on a true SM, well, a fire-breathing one at least.  I purchased a CRF250L this past November and spent the winter modding the hell out of it (gearing, EJK, $1k in Racetech suspension F&R, etc. etc.).  I recently slapped a set of Warp9 17/19" wheels & Shinko 705s on the bike and am completely in love; I'm having a BLAST jumping curbs, bombing around every traffic circle, through industrial parks at night, the occasional dirt trail, gravel road, etc.

I used to own a DR650 with a "ADV" wheelset on it, but the little 250 just puts a huge smile on my face every time I ride it - much more so than my old semi-SM DR.  Sadly, the same can be said when contrasting the CRF against my CB500x.  I commute on the "X" but man oh man... simply cruising down the road gets SO boring after a while, and now that I'm on summer vacation for the next 2 months (teacher) the CB500x has been sitting in the garage collecting dust for the past 2 weeks.

I'm closing in on 40, have a 2.5 year old and 6 month old, work a ton - you know the drill.  Regardless, a quick 30 - 60 min. spin on my low powered SM puts a HUGE smile on my face every time out and I  have nearly as much fun modding the bike as I do riding it.  I'm loving it so much, as a matter of fact, that I posted my CB500x for sale on CL.  I figure that the 8 mile commute to work would be that much more fun on SM come the fall, even if it doesn't eat up the highway miles quite as easily.

I 100% agree that these bikes spoil you.  

As for being too old to ride one... feeling young keeps you young, so who cares?