used Coca Cola on a street trip once.  Let it dry sticky on the bar and inside the grip and shoved it on.

Anyone have issues with hand guards and open ends? Water seems to get into the grip ends and they eventually come loose even when tied with wire. After a while do you guys replace the wire as it stretches?

Safety wire doesn't stretch on a grip. Common 316L .034" safety wire has a minimum tensile strength of 235 pounds. That would cut right through the grip long before it stretched.

If you wire it down tighter it won't leak.

Loctite is an anaerobic sealer. It works under sealing and pressure, perfect for torqued threaded fasteners, not at all perfect for a grip. The guy who recommended them is reaching. By a lot.

I have never, ever, in 40 plus years of riding in rain monsoons to desert heat, had a problem with slipping grips. I blow them on with an air nozzle and wire them down. They are then sealed from the elements. I don't use hair spray, paint, Gorilla Glue or dog food.

Dry and wire. it works.

I lube mine with brake cleaner. Super easy to install but dries clean within 5-10 mins. Wire the ends. The cleaner isn't there to bond or hold anything. Just acts as a lube while installing and then dries fast to achieve the same results. Edited by Dadee
  • Like 1

It took me 15 mins of forcing each grip, just for me to realize that I didn't put loctite on, I tried to pull them off but they didn't budge. They are still stuck on, I guess I'll have to cut them if I want to replace them...

Safety wire. I used to use grip glue and then safety wire, then one day I ran out of glue. I wanted to ride and just used safety wire, works great! The best deal that I found for "safety wire" and not the little roll you get for like four dollars, is at harbor freight. They sell a pound spool of .041" stainless steel lock wire for six bucks.

• Like 3

Installed some Pro Taper grips with spray paint last night. Will add the wire today, we'll see.

ok after 30 odd years my findings are this. hair spray seems great slides on ,sets, wont slip but its water soluble get water in and that grip will slip all over the place.

I've tried all the big brands in grip glues, some are nothing more than super glue and others a kwik grip with a different name and if you can get them on and into position b4 it sets your a stronger man then me.

What works for me is Tarzans Grip (about $6 at woollies) I put a disposable glove on smear about a halve a teaspoon full on the bar let it just go tacky(about30 seconds) smear another halve teaspoon on over that

then rip glove off grab my grip stretch and slid and slip on (have about 2 mins working time) works great when replacing with new grips ols glue will clean off with acetone(nail polish remover)

I still wire my grips but never had one slip using this

My buddy swears by red loctite to keep his grips from slipping, has anybody else had good luck with this??

Before finding out about the magic of ODI Emig grips, I used a single little tube of super glue on the grips.  They rarely budged, especially with wires.

Check out ODI grips, they are awesome and require no glue.  They never move at all, and you get a fresh throttle tube every time you change grips.  Can't beat them.

Speaking of grips, I've think I've used about every brand over the years, but the grips I presently use are by far the best I've ever used.  And they are only $7 from Motosport.  They're A'ME Team Moto Tri Grips, they are nice and thin and they don't have a heavy texture to give you blisters.  Expensive isn't always better.

http://www.motosport.com/ame-team-moto-mc-tri-grips

X004.jpg

Good old spit works for me, no need to wire or glue

Certainly depends on your riding style, but if you ride easy enough terrian and at a less aggesive pace and don't get em wet,  I could see no glue or wire ties working for someone.

Would not last 10 minutes for me.

Certainly depends on your riding style, but if you ride easy enough terrian and at a less aggesive pace and don't get em wet,  I could see no glue or wire ties working for someone.

This. I have used every method known from here to Pluto and I still have them slip.

Everyone who has ever been frustrated by endless grip slippage, do ur self a favor and end the insanity NOW!

Buy your self a pair of Emig V2 lock on grips. The best grips I have ever had. Once installed ( they are mechanically locked down with a shaft collar & allen screw ) they will NEVER slip or move. Only down side is installing the throttle side. It's the same as installing a new throttle tube, so quick swap is a bit more involved than standard grips. But once installed you are stoked!

http://www.motosport.com/odi-emig-v2-lockon-grips

Certainly depends on your riding style, but if you ride easy enough terrian and at a less aggesive pace and don't get em wet, I could see no glue or wire ties working for someone.

well I guess if you more aggressive id go for wire defiantly but I have not had to do that for a while Edited by masdomonkey