Anyone else getting nipple chafe during longer rides? I never used to get it but now I get it sporadically. I haven't changed anything with my gear. Right now my solution is spot band aids but I have a hairy chest and removing them really sucks sometimes. Whos got a better solution? 

I had never had it before.  I used to laugh and heckle the guys that complained about it.  So much so that I nick named one guy "Joey Nips" and the nick name stuck.  To this day he's known as Joey Nips.

That was until this year.  I did a two day trials event in the rain.  80 section attempts and probably 10-12 hours of riding.  I don't know what caused it but I had the worst nipple chaffing ever.  It was a little bit bad while riding, but the real pain came later.  When I got into the shower the next morning it was the most excruciating pain ever (and I tried to walk out with a broken pelvis once).  The pain was there for the next 4 or 5 days and every shower was a torture session.

I swear I will never make fun of guys again over this and would like to formally apologize to Joey Nips.

Doc

• Like 2

Bandaids are your best bet! Get a piece of leather to bite on while you take them off. Your jersey sounds a little rough. Under armor tops are soft and work well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

2 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

Anyone else getting nipple chafe during longer rides? I never used to get it but now I get it sporadically. I haven't changed anything with my gear. Right now my solution is spot band aids but I have a hairy chest and removing them really sucks sometimes. Whos got a better solution? 

Callouses are the only answer... You can hasten the process with sandpaper. Start with 120 grit, 150 if you're a girlyman.

• Like 3

Wow... LMAO at this topic.

Funny thing is I have had the same problem but it would never have occurred to me to try to do something about it... Figured it was just sort of part of riding like getting generally beat up.... Now that I think about it though solutions should be readily available. Gonna try some tape next time I ride. 

For all the guys laughing and making jokes, your day will come.  I went the first 44 years of my life without having this problem then, bam!  It was worse than the Great Purple Nerple War of 1982.  

Doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

For all the guys laughing and making jokes, your day will come.  I went the first 44 years of my life without having this problem then, bam!  It was worse than the Great Purple Nerple War of 1982.  

Doc

Heed his word, naysayers. Someday you, too, will grimace with the pain of raw, tender nips.

Hell, I get it bartending if I wear this one particular shirt. I don't get it riding, but I also don't wear jerseys these days -- I go full on goon style with t-shirt and jeans usually. Sometimes cut-off shorts a la JoeyMac. (disclaimer: I wear knee guards and a fox titan armor suit, which I feel adds to the poor man's mad max villain effect)

My solution has always been band-aids or whatever tape is in reach. I don't have a lot of chest hair, but I do have a solid amount of nipple hair and it does hurt when I take them off (especially when I used electrical tape in a pinch), but it's nothing compared to the agony of raw nips. It has led to some interesting conversations before, though. Went to a pool party after a bartending shift once, and I forgot I had my 'protection' on underneath my shirt. I probably spent 45 minutes explaining and defending myself for that one. Luckily, no lasting nicknames resulted from it.

Edited by hershmagersh
what is grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

Doc

200_s.gif

• Like 2

Suck it up Sally! That's what she said! Recently a guy had to stop riding because his butt itched due to cotton under wear, hell if I know

6 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Doc

Sounds like with age, your nipples enlarging - Similar to getting fat, loosing your hair then growing hair in your ears :)

Edited by filterx

Actually it can be at any age. Laundry detergent, silk screening on jerseys, combination of different things. Getting sweaty then riding in dust. When that dries it's like sand paper. But fun that guys are talking about it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Padilen said:

Actually it can be at any age. Laundry detergent, silk screening on jerseys, combination of different things. Getting sweaty then riding in dust. When that dries it's like sand paper. But fun that guys are talking about it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Ya - I was giving the 44 yr old dude a bit of a teasing cus I'm 57 and can :)