Any recommendations on avNow vs. PowerNow vs. JamesNow??

Does anyone have any experience using the avNow mod in comparison with the JamesNow/PowerNow? I'm curious as to which of these provides the best throttle response/power.

In researching this, I found the following EXCELLENT links:

http://mysite.verizon.net/avinh/motorcycles/wr250f/avNow.html

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=459705&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/602149/page//view//sb/5/o//fpart/all/vc/1

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB10&Number=502868&Forum=UBB10&Words=Av+now&Match=Entire+Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=502260&Search=true

From Motoxer62's and AV's R&D, it appears that the avNow is the way to go. But I'm still not clear on how to go about this for my WR426...Can anyone help?? Is there a TT member doing these? I just want to make sure its done right, and as my wife says, "pay someone else to do it then". Thanks honey.

Out- Disco

I would just recommend getting the power now, that would be the easiest and quickest way to stay in the game. I've read all the post you mentioned. I thought about the james now but finally decided the effort to build wasn't worth the time since power now was available with similiar results.

Try my secret link :D :D

http://mysite.verizon.net/avinh/motorcycles/avNow/avNow.html

I guess this won't be a secret link anymore :D unless I change it again... :D

I would just recommend getting the power now, that would be the easiest and quickest way to stay in the game. I've read all the post you mentioned. I thought about the james now but finally decided the effort to build wasn't worth the time since power now was available with similiar results.

basicblues - I ran with the PowerNow for one season, made the avNow which works a lot better than the PowerNow, sold my PowerNow and never looked back. If you think they create the same in output (that you can actually feel), you're just missing out. For older models, the venturi are removable so it's easy to make the avNow. In your case, the 450s' carb don't have that removable venturi piece anymore, so you would have to cut the slits into the back of the carb and THAT scares a lot of people away and they just buy the PowerNow - who can blame them? :D The older models' venturi pieces can be bought if you mess up and they're relatively cheap - truthfully, the slits that you have to cut into the newer carbs are only 3mm deep, so it's really no big deal, but people like to get things done the easy way (i.e. already made, plug and go). I know the differences between the avNow and the PowerNow, you can NOT feel that much of a difference in torque/snappiness(sp?) in the PoweNow, but the avNow will give you a big surprise and grin with how much harder it pulls. I still smile when I think back to the first test with the avNow - all I could say was wow, wow, wow and kept smiling.

Anyway, I don't get any $$$ for this advice/research unless I make the avNow for people (which I don't ask for this work - people ask/beg me to make it for them and pay me for the labor and parts - it's really not worth my time to do all that work).

Do as you wish, have fun guys. ?

Dude, dont waste your money on buying one, just get some copper plate and make your own. These are so easy to build, you will laugh when you are done because you almost wasted 100 clams. Especially on the older bikes like you guys have (by older I mean have removeable venturi's) Just take it apart and look at it. I used a stout piece of copper plate that I shaped with a dremel, cut the slits in the plastic venturi with a hack saw blade removed, and epoxied the plate in the venturi bell with some plastic weld flexible epoxy. I was actually fun because I built it myself, then I used that benny to get a Magura clutch, so I got 2 upgrades for the price of one....

What gauge copper/sheet metal did you use? And I've also heard some horror stories about the epoxy chipping away and making whoopee with the piston, I know AV recommended some, does it hold up over time (and wipeouts)??

I forget what guage it was, but it was thick enough to handle and not crease or bend. I then just dremeled the leading and trailing edges to a knife blade (to slice through the air so to speak) The epoxy I used is more like an acrylic - it smells like that $hit they use on my wife's fingernails when she has them done.... Therefor is stays flexible and will not chip. So far so good, and I have had my far share of get-offs... ?

I second that...it seems there are so many differing opinions on which kind of adhesive to use. Furthermore, the directions for the James NOW say that you shouldn't have to use glue if done correctly. Is this not true? Is there a consensus on the type of glue, or if it is necessary? for James NOW and avNow..(should be same right)?!?!

It depends on how well you get yours to fit. If it fits in perfectly and doesnt even look like it will move, then you may not need anything. I used the flexy epoxy to 1) Keep the plate in place no matter what and 2) To smooth out the junction of where the plate meets the venturi. The less air turbulence the higher and smoother the velocity. Its a matter of choice, the end result is the same.

What gauge copper/sheet metal did you use? And I've also heard some horror stories about the epoxy chipping away and making whoopee with the piston, I know AV recommended some, does it hold up over time (and wipeouts)??

Fellas,

I used a license plate. Perfect item, 1mm think and aluminum. Best of all, it was free. ?