Sign in to follow this  

help with Modz for a DRZ400sm

Was sup fellow Thumpers, I could use some help from this great community.

A lil about me im 21 yrs old 5'6" 135 lbs with a 30" inseam, i just bought a brand new 2015 bone stock Suzuki DRZ400sm from the dealership for what i consider a steal $6800 OTD. I just made the switch from my friends cbr300 for a super moto so still adjusting the bike. When it comes to doing modz or anything with motors im a complete noob. The DRZ is primarily going to be used as commuter bike going on the street and the freeway. With light use on dirt roads or trails. So my question is what type of modz should i do on my bike to handle freeway speeds of 60-70 mph comfortably but be able to do 80+ when the time comes for it. Before i do any modz on the bike i want to wait like 6 months to a year for me to find out how much the bike opens up after the break in period and for me to get used to the style of riding a SM.

So ive been hearing about a load of modz from a 3x3 mod and JD jet kit. But i also been hearing about the big bore kits as well. However im concerned about these BB kits as im unaware if you could use the current stock carb or you if you have to modify the carb with JD kit or something else, looking at either the cylinder works 434 or athena 434 BB Kit. Or am i fine with just the 3x3 and JD kit and a slip on or full system exhaust for either JD kit or Big Bore kit. if you cant tell im a complete noob lol im leaning towards the Big Bore kits as it increases hp and throttle response as well, but am unaware if i need other modz prior to doing it. I'm aware of the cost of all these im going to be saving up to accomplish this thus the previous statement of me waiting 6 months to a year before doing any mods.

Also any other mods that can be recommended would be gladly accepted. Hope this makes since as i tried my best to make as much since as possible on stuff i dont know about :banghead: Please let me know if you have no idea what im talking about so i could try and make better since :thumbsup:

And if this question has been answered please dont be a jerk lol and let me know where i can find it

Edited by Drxzzzrshadow
  • Like 1

3x3 and jets is easiest cheapest hp.  If you want more after that go for an fcr39 and an exhaust.  Next step up is bigbore + hot cams.

First mod should probably be a new seat if you plan on commuting - check out seat concepts.  You could also get a lower seat if you need it, just has lower profile foam.  

If you are worried about throttle response there are short throw throttle tubes, I find a properly lubed tube / cable works just fine though.  

For highway commuting get new sprockets.  I am running stock sm gearing but you could easily drop teeth front or rear for easier cruising.  14/38 is fairly common for that.

Cheers

• Like 1

You don't in any way need an expensive big bore,stroker kit,high compression,ported head,oversize valves,performance cams and 41 fcr carb to wake up your bike to ride the freeways and keep up with traffic.Riding the highways on a sm model is all about top end horsepower.Big bore is more about low end torque and a stroker even more so and not so much about top end hp.They don't handle the revs as much as a stock displacement motor.You will be fine on the stock bore and have plenty of power for the highway if it is tuned carefully.I suggest doing the 3x3 airbox mod,James Dean jds005 jet kit or the TT 39FCR-MX conversionkit and a MRD Z-Pro open pipe all done at the same time when you're ready.This will give you 5-7hp or so and will give you plenty of power for the highway on the stock 15/41 gearing.No need to go with taller gearing as it will rob torque and top end hp and make it harder to wheelie.A DRZ is unable to pull the rev limiter(9750 rpm) in 5th gear anyway. By the way your bike will be pretty broken in in the first 25 miles or so.Ride it like you normally would or use the mototune method.Also recommend doing all the reliability fixes and MCCT.Read the DRZ Faq Forum at the top of the page for the new guys to get familiar with their bikes.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 1

You don't in any way need an expensive big bore,stroker kit,high compression,ported head,oversize valves,performance cams and 41 fcr carb to wake up your bike to ride the freeways and keep up with traffic.Riding the highways on a sm model is all about top end horsepower.Big bore is more about low end torque and a stroker even more so and not so much about top end hp.They don't handle the revs as much as a stock displacement motor.You will be fine on the stock bore and have plenty of power for the highway if it is tuned carefully.I suggest doing the 3x3 airbox mod,James Dean jds005 jet kit or the TT 39FCR-MX conversionkit and a MRD Z-Pro open pipe all done at the same time when you're ready.This will give you 5-7hp or so and will give you plenty of power for the highway on the stock 15/41 gearing.No need to go with taller gearing as it will rob torque and top end hp and make it harder to wheelie.A DRZ is unable to pull the rev limiter(9750 rpm) in 5th gear anyway. By the way your bike will be pretty broken in in the first 25 miles or so.Ride it like you normally would or use the mototune method.Also recommend doing all the reliability fixes and MCCT.Read the DRZ Faq Forum at the top of the page for the new guys to get familiar with their bikes.

I totally agree with bumtarder. I have done 3x3, k&n air filter, mrd full open exhaust, jd jet kit. With stock carb, and I weigh 270 lbs and it can Easily clutch up 1,2,3 gear wheelies. Plenty of power for street. Tops out about 92 mph. Keep stock gearing for sm. you are going to LOVE this bike...

Thanks for the help really appreciate it. From what ive been told ill just save up and do the 3x3, JD Jet Kit, add a air filter, and MRD Z Pro Exhaust.

I totally agree with bumtarder. I have done 3x3, k&n air filter, mrd full open exhaust, jd jet kit. With stock carb, and I weigh 270 lbs and it can Easily clutch up 1,2,3 gear wheelies. Plenty of power for street. Tops out about 92 mph. Keep stock gearing for sm. you are going to LOVE this bike...

Holy sh** Frank you can do 92 mph damnn thats pretty good and yea I'm sure i'll love this bike

Thanks for the help really appreciate it. From what ive been told ill just save up and do the 3x3, JD Jet Kit, add a air filter, and MRD Z Pro Exhaust.

Holy sh** Frank you can do 92 mph damnn thats pretty good and yea I'm sure i'll love this bike

I've hit 100mph on mine before but I weigh less than 270lbs. 

I've hit 100mph on mine before but I weigh less than 270lbs. 

100 indicated? - so probly like 92 haha

100 indicated? - so probly like 92 haha

I doubt the speedo is off by that much but ok.

My bike is my daily commuter. No reason to drive my truck when I can get good MPG and have fun on my bike 5 days a week.

The only "performance" mods I've done to help the engine is FCR39 mx kit from TT store w/raptor pet cock, 15t front sprocket, 3x3, full yosh exhaust, de smog etc. It runs great, I feel comfy doing 70mph freeway speeds just fine, I usually hit the slow lane up durring extended freeway rides. But typically try to do all streets.

I have plenty of other mods but the carb, and regearing, pipe have been proven awesome and I ride everyday 5 days a week for months now and plan to keep it up til it blows up lol. I ride it hard everyday all day, goes plenty fast for city streets for me. I may go down 1 size sprocket in the rear since at 70mph it starts to get in the higher RPMs (still have stock 41)

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

I doubt the speedo is off by that much but ok.

I run a gps along with my speedo. My speedo is of about 3mph to about 30mph, 5mph off to around 60mph and close to 10mph at 85+. With my speedo reading 111 I've hit 100 on gps. I'm geared 15/38 with a fcr, cams, and big bore. The bike has a little more in it, but it will take a pretty long stretch of road to get there.

• Like 1

I run a gps along with my speedo. My speedo is of about 3mph to about 30mph, 5mph off to around 60mph and close to 10mph at 85+. With my speedo reading 111 I've hit 100 on gps. I'm geared 15/38 with a fcr, cams, and big bore. The bike has a little more in it, but it will take a pretty long stretch of road to get there.

same here I run 16/41 and gps speed tops out @101mph......i have my trailtech vapor dialed in exact with my gps