Sign in to follow this  

Are the new Chevys crap, or what?

Are Dodge Journey broke down a while back, and we rented a Chevy Cruz, fully loaded. I liked it, but it was cheap as crap! Everything was plastic, it was just horrible. So then we decided to rent the 2015 Ford f-150. One of our family members came up in a Chevy Malibu, and they had the same opinion on it we did, but about the Malibu. Anyways, let me know what you think

Malibu and Impala's are better than the "sub-compact" Cruz, simply build better............. that being said nothing today is built like they were "back in the day"

Today they are building cars AND trucks as cheap as they can, as light as they can and you will find even some of the engine parts are made from plastic.........valve covers, intake manifolds anything they can get away with to save weight for fuel mileage and save cost. The upcoming F150's body is going to be constructed in aluminum...............

• Like 1

The lightweight parts are mandatory due to stupid  GOVT fuel mileage requirements. Don't forget that and the responsible political party that has prostituted itself to the greenies the next time you vote.  

• Like 1

My dad's 2014 Silverado doesn't seem cheap at all.. My girl's Cruz seems a little cheap, but so do all cars these days. That's Toyotas, Hondas, Dodges, Fords and Chevys. Also the more we move away from analog instruments to digital, the more cheap the stuff will feel because that's just the way it is. An LCD is not as robust as an old CRT monitor. Newer cars are safer, yet lighter than the old muscle cars. Just new technology. It's the way it goes.

I have a  newer Silverado.........my first one a '95 had a under the hood light and a wind up (extension cord type) work light next to the fender well.

The one I have now does not come with a hood (engine compartment) light or work light.

Good truck though...........chevy was just trying to save a dollar or two it seems like.

I've got 77000kms on my '14 Sierra w/6.2L. Aside from a few updates here and there the trucks run strong for me and I definitely put that motor and chassis through it's paces. The whole digital interface is very nice when it comes to usability but only a matter of time until issues arise.

I personally don't find too much that seems cheap. I'm actually fairly impressed with how well built it is, given I have every bell and whistle they offer. The work truck models may be a whole different story.

• Like 1

I'm in a lot of different rental cars because of my job.  I always avoid GM if I can.  Their interiors always seem to be about the same quality regardless of if it's a budget car or nice SUV, which is cheap looking and feeling.  They are seem to try a lot less than just about every other manufacturer on their interiors and rely on "gadgets" such as bright lcd screens to draw your attention away from the crappy knobs on the dash and seat handles that might break if you pull just a tad too hard.

I have a 14 Sierra, the interior feels and looks nice to me.  It's roomy, comfortable and really quiet too.  Rental cars are a different story though.

• Like 1

All vehicles are going that way. The thing that has really starring bothering me is crome plated plastic.

• Like 2

I have a Chevy Sonic.  Bought it for gas mileage and it gives me 40mpg back and forth to work.  Being a low end car, I did not expect a lot, but I think its not bad.  Yeah some hard plastic here and there and the seats don't provide great support for long drives, but other than that it seems to be as well built as most other vehicles that I have come in contact to.  I have been driving for over 45 years and I would say, while some things are a bit cheaper, in general todays cars beat anything that I drove in the 60/70/80's.

Malibu and Impala's are better than the "sub-compact" Cruz, simply build better............. that being said nothing today is built like they were "back in the day"

Today they are building cars AND trucks as cheap as they can, as light as they can and you will find even some of the engine parts are made from plastic.........valve covers, intake manifolds anything they can get away with to save weight for fuel mileage and save cost. The upcoming F150's body is going to be constructed in aluminum...............

Plastic is being used with great success because that's all that is needed in those applications.  Why waste a better, possibly heavier and definitely more expensive material if it isn't necessary? If you can save  $10 per vehicle, it adds up to Millions! 

The lightweight parts are mandatory due to stupid  GOVT fuel mileage requirements. Don't forget that and the responsible political party that has prostituted itself to the greenies the next time you vote.  

Responsible political party??...that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Lol!

My dad's 2014 Silverado doesn't seem cheap at all.. My girl's Cruz seems a little cheap, but so do all cars these days. Newer cars are safer, yet lighter than the old muscle cars. Just new technology. It's the way it goes.

Newer cars are incredibly safer, but definitely not lighter. They are mostly larger than their previous counterparts. Take the Mustang as an example of weight disparity. It weighs over a thousand pounds more than it did in1995. Despite being very close in size and wheelbase. 

I have a  newer Silverado.........my first one a '95 had a under the hood light and a wind up (extension cord type) work light next to the fender well.

The one I have now does not come with a hood (engine compartment) light or work light.

Good truck though...........chevy was just trying to save a dollar or two it seems like.

This started right after 9/11. It was called package de-contenting. It was a way for the manufacturers to keep pricing stable as they tried to jump start the economy. It worked for them and they continue to do it.

Right now we are at an amazing crossroad in the car biz. The average vehicle transaction is over $32,000 and the average age of vehicles on the road is 11.5 years old. This means they're expensive and last longer than ever before. Buyers demand new technologies and soft touch materials as well as more horsepower than the Super Cars of 20 years ago and fuel mileage as good or better than the econoboxes of the 90's. We are living in a renaissance period of muscle cars.

No manufacturer builds a "bad" vehicle anymore. (With an exception or two.)

• Like 2

Plastic is being used with great success because that's all that is needed in those applications.  Why waste a better, possibly heavier and definitely more expensive material if it isn't necessary? If you can save  $10 per vehicle, it adds up to Millions! 

Newer cars are incredibly safer, but definitely not lighter. They are mostly larger than their previous counterparts. Take the Mustang as an example of weight disparity. It weighs over a thousand pounds more than it did in1995. Despite being very close in size and wheelbase. 

This started right after 9/11. It was called package de-contenting. It was a way for the manufacturers to keep pricing stable as they tried to jump start the economy. It worked for them and they continue to do it.

Right now we are at an amazing crossroad in the car biz. The average vehicle transaction is over $32,000 and the average age of vehicles on the road is 11.5 years old. This means they're expensive and last longer than ever before. Buyers demand new technologies and soft touch materials as well as more horsepower than the Super Cars of 20 years ago and fuel mileage as good or better than the econoboxes of the 90's. We are living in a renaissance period of muscle cars.

I just love how you can go out and buy a late 80's to 90's vehicle, and the bastards last forever, are possible to work on and can get acceptable fuel consumption.

Its a good time to buy used cars.

• Like 3

I just love how you can go out and buy a late 80's to 90's vehicle, and the bastards last forever, are possible to work on and can get acceptable fuel consumption.

Its a good time to buy used cars.

I agree. If it wasn't for those 80s and 90's vehicles still being around, there would be no way the average age would be 11.5 years old. Especially since the current sales rate of new vehicles is over 15 million a year.

I agree. If it wasn't for those 80s and 90's vehicles still being around, there would be no way the average age would be 11.5 years old. Especially since the current sales rate of new vehicles is over 15 million a year.

Well in the local markets there are GM Holdens fitted with the 3800 v6 that will last for years, Holden 5 litres that will last for years, ford 4 litres and V8s that will last for years, corollas, Nissans the list goes on.

Reliable transport for 1.5K if you need it.

• Like 1

Well said.  It is amazing the 5.0 in the F150 puts out 380 hp in 2015.  I know trucks are all about torque but that level of hp was restricted to European supercars ten years ago.  Even Ford's Mustang debuted in 2005 with only a 300 hp 3 valve V8.  Consumers want it all, want it cheap, want it to last forever and if they don't get what they want, they raise hell with the dealer.  I would never want a customer service job and have to deal with the American public.

NC

• Like 1

Well in the local markets there are GM Holdens fitted with the 3800 v6 that will last for years, Holden 5 litres that will last for years, ford 4 litres and V8s that will last for years, corollas, Nissans the list goes on.

Reliable transport for 1.5K if you need it.

Unfortunately we don't have that availability here in the states. You see our government came up with this "great idea" to help push the economy by starting a program called "Cash for clunkers". It dictated that people trade in their eligible gas guzzler for a new car (Eligible vehicles included some compact cars). Those vehicles then needed to be rendered useless for parts even. This did wonders for new car sales...at the expense of middle and lower class buyers who can't afford new. It simply pushed forward the people who might not have bought a new car for another 6 mos. to a year, into purchasing then while the incentive was there. In reality, it decimated the used car market. Suddenly there was a drought of affordable (less than $5k) vehicles. What once sold for $1000, was now worth $3000 and so on. We still haven't recovered. An example is the '84-'90 Ford Bronco II. That will sell today for $2500 to $5500! Doesn't matter if it's rusted out with worn out interior, it's still selling for ridiculous prices.
  • Like 1

Any price paid for a Ford is ridiculous. :lol:

Says the guy who thinks there is a responsible political party...lol

It's all personal preference. I may drive a Ford now, but I'm smart enough to not drink the Kool-aid. Same with bikes and just about anything. I'll cross shop until I find what will work for my family based on parameters I set before starting. I believe this has helped me numerous times financially as well as emotionally. We leased a '14 Escape and I can't wait to turn the POS in. Ford has gone backwards with the small Ecoboost motors IMO. Good thing the lease price blew away the competition at the time.