Sign in to follow this  

Shaking in my boots

Well Guys...

This Sunday will be my first real trip out into the woods with a group of accomplished riders.  Needless to say I am shaking in my boots.  This trail is a few hours long - not quite sure how long.  I have my TTR 230 and they have much more elaborate and proper bikes, not to mention these guys are very accomplished.

I am prepping the night before, cleaning my bike, checking things over, bringing extra stuff with me.  I got my Hydorpack ready!  What else should I take with me?

This trail offers EVERYTHING : Mud Rocks, Creek Crossings, hills, lot of dirt and technical stuff!  I still have a small issue with my bike that is scared of water (stalls in about a foot of water only to fire right back up and run like a champ after walking it out)

I am still wet behind the ears and my stomach is crunching!  I will try and take the " look ahead " and " stand up " suggestions very seriously ! 

What else do you recommend a newbie like me to do ?  also what are good foods that I should be eating the night before / day of?

Thanks!

Probably rule # 1 when on a dirt bike!

The blokes you're riding with will look out for you.

Drink plenty of water for a couple days leading up to the ride to hydrate your body. I eat Porridge with Honey and apple for breakfast. Take an apple, banana, Snakes/Jelly babies etc .

Just ride smooth, smart and efficiently, don't needlessly waste energy. If you're smooth and efficient, you'll be fast enough and make it through the day no probs. Ie, "The Hare and the Tortoise" 😉

Main thing is to, as mentioned,  "Relax and have fun". Don't get stressed out worrying about the other blokes, holding them up etc. They will have allowed for that. No one minds taking some time for a Newby! If they were worried about you holding them up, they wouldn't have Invited you. Ride at your own pace  👍 .Focus on being smooth, not fast. I'll guarantee you'll be that bit faster by the end of the day. "Smooth is FAST".

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 3

The blokes you're riding with will look out for you.

Drink plenty of water for a couple days leading up to the ride to hydrate your body. I eat Porridge with Honey and apple for breakfast. Take an apple, banana, Snakes/Jelly babies etc .

Just ride smooth, smart and efficiently, don't needlessly waste energy. If you're smooth and efficient, you'll be fast enough and make it through the day no probs. Ie, "The Hare and the Tortoise" 😉

Main thing is to, as mentioned,  "Relax and have fun". Don't get stressed out worrying about the other blokes, holding them up etc. They will have allowed for that. No one minds taking some time for a Newby! If they were worried about you holding them up, they wouldn't have Invited you. Ride at your own pace  👍 .Focus on being smooth, not fast. I'll guarantee you'll be that bit faster by the end of the day. "Smooth is FAST".

What the hell IS "porridge"? I mean I know Little Red stole some from a few angry bears, so it must be good to commit a felony for.

• Like 2

What the hell IS "porridge"? I mean I know Little Red stole some from a few angry bears, so it must be good to commit a felony for.

Some steal it, others beg for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvCMQ_ok1c

Australia was built with it  (Convict food). Oats. It's good shit!  Ask any Horse 👍  

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 3

Relax and ride your own ride. Your pals will wait for you. Don't try to ride over your head, you will only tire yourself out or worse. G

• Like 1

you have a good bike for trail riding, those things are so manageable with the soft suspension and low seat height, as long as they aren't going wide open it should be a fun ride for you.

• Like 1

Like the above posts, just take it easy and have some fun. We love this sport because it's freakin awesome! Don't do trails you're not comfortable with and watch your buddies. Pay attention to their posture on the bike as well as the lines they choose. I expect some pictures of the trip afterwards! Ride safe and have fun!

• Like 2

They will have everything you need. Just ride and have fun. And for God's sake don't apologize for holding them up. They don't care. But do thank them for taking you. Shut up and have fun... 🙂

Edited by DR.billZ

And look at it this way, riding with guys that are better than you will ultimately make YOU a better rider.  You will be able to push yourself a bit, you will see firsthand what the limits are for an experienced rider and you can gauge your capabilities from there.  I ride with guys that race hare scrambles and are in their twenties (my 2 youngest sons), they have enabled me to constantly improve.  It will work the same for you.  Just let them know if you need a break. 😉

• Like 1

Please sir I want more, then I like maple syrup or brown sugar with some cremo on my gruel errr porridge.

Anyway...

As far as stalling in a foot of water - Not sure of the TTR setup BUT I'm assuming you are getting water in the air box, then carb and maybe the engine which is really something you want to not do.

On my crf250R I've got large open vents into my air box which are about 3 feet from the ground. When I get to river crossing's I try to determine how deep the water is and how far across I have to go. At some point they are not really crossable but if I'm doing it, I stand up, get my weight back and give it (which should push the water away from the engine) while picturing I'm across.

A foot of water is not really that deep but if your going slow, so you should look at how water is getting into air box/carb

Edited by filterx

Please sir I want more, then I like maple syrup or brown sugar with some cremo on my gruel errr porridge.

Anyway...

As far as stalling in a foot of water - Not sure of the TTR setup BUT I'm assuming you are getting water in the air box, then carb and maybe the engine which is really something you want to not do.

On my crf250R I've got large open vents into my air box which are about 3 feet from the ground. When I get to river crossing's I try to determine how deep the water is and how far across I have to go. At some point they are not really crossable but if I'm doing it, I stand up, get my weight back and give it (which should push the water away from the engine) while picturing I'm across.

A foot of water is not really that deep but if your going slow, so you should look at how water is getting into air box/carb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phRqWyuv_U  this is the water depth, does not look like water is getting into the air box, i was riding slow, trying to avoid water splashing on my boots giving me a soaker lol. 

Edited by soupysocks

Well - lasting thing I worry about is water splashing on my boots though if the water is super deep, I'll take my feet off the pegs and get them handle bar high while pinning it. There is a chance you can hit some rocks and end up off the bike and getting it completely submerged (again not a good thing) but you have to make that call.

Ya the water isn't at your pegs so did you just stall it cus you didn't want to get your boots wet?

• Like 1

That's weird how it died so quick.  Certainly don't think you're getting water into the airbox.  How are the vent hoses routed on the carb?  I'm not familiar with a TTR carb, but on the bikes I'm used to, there are 4 hoses hanging down and if you don't re-route 2 of them up into the chassis somewhere, when you get into water deep enough to cover the end of those vent hoses, it causes the bike to starve for fuel and die out, but even that shouldn't happen so quick.  Have you gone over the wiring harness?  Maybe something is getting wet there and shorting out?  But then it shouldn't re-start easily either.

• Like 1

maybe I am just riding it too slow?  I looked and my vent tube is hung low, but that I did not think it would cut it out that fast!

The ride we are going on tomorrow has a few water holes like this more or less deep...and the guy that gets wet boots first has to be the token water tester for the other water crossings :( 

One dude on chat, forgot his name told me to T-split them and run them way up!  but I won't have time to do that until next weekend. 

🤣 🤣 🤣 Shit