Sign in to follow this  

i need to slow down. before i get really hurt

At least that truck whoa'd up for ya.

Edited by 38super

On the street blocked traffic can happen anytime, and usually without any signs. Assume every corner has traffic on the other side. Glad you made it.

I was entering the San Diego Freeway once on my KZ650. Onramp was totally stopped when I rounded the corner. Tapped the front brake and the bike jerked me left around the car in front...at 70 mph. Saved my ass. That was one way traffic. Could have been a disaster on a two way road.

• Like 1

Yeah man. Wow you got lucky. Glad you're okay. I wouldn't go that fast on any blind corners like that. Just too many things that could happen (that are out of your control) that could cost you your life (animals, gravel, some kid texting that is halfway in your lane, etc.).

That's always my biggest fear. I am very confident in my riding abilities, and I can pretty much push my bike to it's limit, but there's rarely a time where I showcase that on a backroad like that. 

Hopefully that was a wakeup call. Some people never get a second chance. Learn from it and ride as if anything can happen. Always be aware and ready. 

Ride on brotha  :ride:

great advise, this is exactly the way I ride since I've gotten older and wiser

• Like 2

DUDE!...you don't need to slow down....you just need to ride smarter!  You KNEW that light was there and should have been expecting the traffic. I've been riding these same roads fast for many years, it can be done without killing yourself. You need to work on focus and awareness. Ride ahead of yourself always know where you are and where the road goes. Learn where the gravel spots are, where cars cut corners or might make U turns, where animals tend to cross the road or hang out on the shoulder...even where the grape trucks spill juice on the roads during certain times of the year (slippery!). It's alot of work ..but if you put the effort in... you'll be rewarded with years of fun riding.

• Like 4

70 mph, in that traffic, in blind turns, with posted "25 mph construction area" signs, and you can't even keep it on your side of the road BEFORE the stopped traffic was in play.

if you don't change habits, or give up riding, you're going to end up as a five second section of "2015 motorcycle fatality caught on video" youtube compilation. 

i was going to say "take it to the track", but if you ride like that, the track rats are not going to be happy with you being there, at all. 

why don't you just use some common sense and slow down ? 

don't you realize you're GOING to severely injure someone, or even kill them, riding like this ? 

shit man. 

• Like 3

Wow. Someone watching over you apparently. I just came down from big bear Ca this Sunday, both kids in the truck. Clear as day 30 MPH turn and i'm doing 30 as i'm in no rush on my Sunday drive. . Bike nearly smashes right into the back of the truck speeding through the turns. He was lucky too. NO way for him to veer over to the side into on-coming traffic. Next turn out i was going to let him pass. He flagged me ahead and took the spot instead. Hopefully to think about his actions and gather his thoughts before continuing. 

• Like 1

i was going to say "take it to the track", but if you ride like that, the track rats are not going to be happy with you being there, at all. 

why don't you just use some common sense and slow down ? 

i dont enjoy slow. its &%$#@!ing boring and not exciting. and thats just my preference... end of story

i do goto the track,lol and ppl like when we show up on our "slow" sm's ..and are not slow

lol have you ever been on a track?? .. ive had nothing but positivity come from other riders at the track.. 

plus there is wayyy crazier riding at the there

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

Is there any reason you make a post about how you need to slow down, and then spend the entire time being a dick to people with poor English who are just looking out for you? 

nobody mentioned skill on this entire thread except you. 

so you come on here. sound like a coastie douche, then instantly apoligize..lol 

:lol:

you're like the cat with 9 lives.....how many you got left? :(       

1 ... :devil:

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 1

:eek: Well  "it is what it is"  cant change it.  Yeah, riding a little too fast but did what you had to do to save your ass, (and least important) your bike, and your insurance premium, oh and your driver license !

And I'll say that WAS some good skill, you didn't panic (but prolly had some soiled undies) lol.  Glad you or anyone else did not get injured.  We learn from our mistakes, and others mistakes...

...NOT from being 'put down' or 'insulted' for our actions. 

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 4

:eek: Well  "it is what it is"  cant change it.  Yeah, riding a little too fast but did what you had to do to save your ass, (and least important) your bike, and your insurance premium, oh and your driver license !

And I'll say that WAS some good skill, you didn't panic (but prolly had some soiled undies) lol.  Glad you or anyone else did not get injured.  We learn from our mistakes, and others mistakes...

didnt panic? the guy straight pulled it into the oncoming traffic lane and simply got lucky .. you either slow down, get mangled for life or die .. choice is youres ..

didnt panic? the guy straight pulled it into the oncoming traffic lane and simply got lucky .. you either slow down, get mangled for life or die .. choice is youres ..

IMO, he didn't panic.. He took his only out that was available due to the circumstances. If he was to panic (like most would do) he would have locked up and piled into the vehicle in his path, or best case, into the trees on the right. Yea he got lucky there was no immediate traffic but the speed left him no other real "controlled" choice.

To the OP, your a lucky man. Been in similar situations on and off the road and in the end all you can do is slap yourself in the back of the head and move on!

Edited by RyeMc
  • Like 3

Likely he saw on-coming lane was clear before he pulled into it.  Did what he had to do & pulled it off, and glad of it.

I've had countless wrecks on my snowmobiles, quads, and motorcycles, one that almost killed me.

Not condoning reckless behavior one bit, and I totally agree with the main point here, SLOW DOWN.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

:eek: Well "it is what it is" cant change it. Yeah, riding a little too fast but did what you had to do to save your ass, (and least important) your bike, and your insurance premium, oh and your driver license !

And I'll say that WAS some good skill, you didn't panic (but prolly had some soiled undies) lol. Glad you or anyone else did not get injured. We learn from our mistakes, and others mistakes...

Agree this shouldn't be a flame thread, 707 put this up learn from his mistakes instead of flaming him. This is a good post to make us stop and think. If you don't think you become complacent.
  • Like 5

Likely he saw on-coming lane was clear before he pulled into it.  Did what he had to do & pulled it off, and glad of it.

I've had countless wrecks on my snowmobiles, quads, and motorcycles, one that almost killed me.

Not condoning reckless behavior one bit, and I totally agree with the main point here, SLOW DOWN.  :thumbsup:

the scary part was that i could NOT see oncoming traffic..

if you rewatch the video..right as i goto pass the 1st car, i jerk to the right, because my 1st reaction was to ride the double yellow..but i seen it was clear and dipped to the shoulder

• Like 2

I will say your first mistake was not paying attention to the CONSTRUCTION signs that were like all over :p #2 you need to come up here to WA so I can give you the Granny riding school of going fast on twisty roads LOL.

So so sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you are OK :D

Here's how we do it up here in WA, we practice on open gravel roads so we will have our reflexes for the twistys bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

But serious, we need to get you up here and on the track with us ;)