Sign in to follow this  

250sx vs 150sx

I am 17, 5'9", and 130lb. I currently race a 09 yz250. Im looking to get a brand new bike and have narrowed it down to a 250sx and a 150sx. I hear the 150 is a lot of fun but will I be disappointed with the power of a 150 after having my yz250

P.s. I used to ride a built Yz125 and loved revving it out.

I own both bikes (Vet B rider, 175lbs.) and love them both, but the 250 does not compare to the 150 in outright fun (grin) factor. If you are serious about racing, then the 250 is probably a better choice if you are in elevation. If you ride purely for sport and fun, then the 150 in my view is the hands down winner.

I went from a cr250 on to a 150sx I don't think I could have made a better decision I can throw it around no problem still quick as hell I'm going to be racing it come next season I absolutely love it to me my 250 was really heavy and a little too quick for the woods now I didn't have a flywheel weight on it but hands down 150sx all day

The new 150 is going to be insane I'm thinking about selling my 150 for a down payment on that lol

Yeah the new 150sx looks killer.  Still can't find dyno numbers on it. 

I'm wondering if it will be a worth $$$ while upgrade over my 06 yz125...

For some reason the 2016 250sx didn't get all the motor and frame updates that the 150sx, 125sx, 250f and 450f got.  I'm seriously considering selling my 14 yz250f and getting a 16 150sx.

going to be a big difference for you if you ride 4 strokes obviously if you kno how to ride you'll be fine but hopping on my buddies kx250f big difference in ride style I stay with my 2 strokes hahah

Unless you're not looking to buy a 2016, I would wait until the 2017 KTM's are announced next May.  The 2017 250SX/250XC/300XC will be all new, including an all new motor.  Who knows what they're going to accomplish. There's been tons of spy photos and even extreme enduro guys putting the new engine to use in Erzberg.  Don't even try comparing the 2016 150SX to the 2016 250SX.

So would it be better to just put the money in my bike rather than getting a new one or are they really as good as everyone says

A 150sx can hang with any 250f it just takes more shifting, more clutch work and it's easier to make a mistake like not being in the right gear which will slow your lap times.  You can't ride a 150sx fast and be lazy at the same time.

Well I want to know strictly is it worth to switch from my Yz250 2 stroke. A 250f isn't even a thought. Been there done that will never go back. Thanks for all the response it really helps.

• Like 1

So would it be better to just put the money in my bike rather than getting a new one or are they really as good as everyone says

Be best if you just ride your bike more. More money isn't going to make you faster...

For some reason the 2016 250sx didn't get all the motor and frame updates that the 150sx, 125sx, 250f and 450f got.  I'm seriously considering selling my 14 yz250f and getting a 16 150sx.

Hmmm I have been thinking about selling my yz125 and getting a 14+ yz250f.  Mainly because I am having trouble clearing some jumps that are right after a corner. 125 is sooo much fun but damn you need to ride like a rapped ape which gets tiring after a bunch of laps.  The new 150sx is calling me though.  I am thinking it would be a little less crazy to ride than the 125 and still be crazy fun.  Would really like to see a dyno graph though.  Actually would really like to test ride one.

250sx next year is going to be beast mode!  Can't wait for DI 2 strokes

A 150sx can hang with any 250f it just takes more shifting, more clutch work and it's easier to make a mistake like not being in the right gear which will slow your lap times. You can't ride a 150sx fast and be lazy at the same time.

I was curious about it also in a drag they are the exact same until my Ktm hit 5th then just pulled away.... obviously on a track it would be a completely different race also depending on who's riding

about 100cc  :p

LOL at the wait tell next year model comments... sure you should wait tell 2020... should be the best year LOL

if you aren't riding this bike at its top most performance then you will never tell the difference 1 year from the next. most pros likely cant. now sure 5 years and they are worlds apart some times, it is amazing what they are doing and how quickly they are changing bikes. I think soon there will not be interchangeable parts one year from the next.

back on your main subject ... I would say go with the 250, more power and you dont have to rev it to the moon, thou fun :)  you will likely get bigger and faster thus again wanting a bigger bike.

250sx next year is going to be beast mode!  Can't wait for DI 2 strokes

what proof do you have that they will ever go DI? I haven't heard this to be fact. I hear humors all over and they all smell bad and never happen, I remember back in 2009 everyone was "Oh wait don't buy the 2009 because the 2010s will be DI" NEVER HAPPENED

I personally dont care, I have been tuning carbs my whole life and my carb is spot on and find no need for DI or the complex nature of it. but maybe it would be worth it if it makes boat loads of power!!!!

what proof do you have that they will ever go DI? I haven't heard this to be fact. I hear humors all over and they all smell bad and never happen, I remember back in 2009 everyone was "Oh wait don't buy the 2009 because the 2010s will be DI" NEVER HAPPENED

I personally dont care, I have been tuning carbs my whole life and my carb is spot on and find no need for DI or the complex nature of it. but maybe it would be worth it if it makes boat loads of power!!!!

I never said it was fact. I just stated personally that I can't wait for DI 2 strokes.  Who knows when, probably 2020, but I do think it will eventually come.  With all the changes they did to the 125/150 this year I can only imagine the 250sx will get the same treatment, and hence why I think it will be a beast.