Clutch hand fatigue

I did a gp race on Saturday and my clutch hand cost me the podium. The format was a 2 moto 30min +1 lap. First moto was great would have won if not for a stupid mistake that put me on the ground. Still finished 7 out of 25.

The second moto was all bad. My clutch hand was so fatigued that I could not pull the clutch lever in. I stalled at the start and then stalled 5-6 times in the wooded sections Because I literally could not operate the clutch lever. I still managed to work my way back to a 13 finish but my hand cost me what should have been a win.

All that said, I am in desperate need of some tips here. 3 days later and my grip is still weak. What does it is having to ride the clutch in the tight wooded sections. I Have my clutch lever adjusted as close to the bars as possible and I use one of those spring grip strength devices but I'm still suffering.

What to do?

• Like 1

Hydraulic clutch.  Find somebody with a KTM and pull their clutch lever if you've never tried one before.  It's a godsend but probably isn't as reliable as a cable.

thanks for the reply. Most my group rides ktm. The hydrulic clutch is not really easier in my opinion. It just feels different. Maybe smoother but the actual force isn't much different.

I'm more looking for advice on how I can improve myself not my bike.

I'm more looking for advice on how I can improve myself not my bike.

Just wondering what bike you have, maybe you're lugging the motor too much if it's a 125 or using the clutch too much if it's a 450f.

I'm thinking about how the leverage of the lever or your hand works if it's adjusted so the lever is close to the bar?  Is a person's hand stronger when the fingers are extended more?

I only had that problem in one of my first races.   It sounds like a long race.  Maybe you have to pace yourself.

Just wondering what bike you have, maybe you're lugging the motor too much if it's a 125 or using the clutch too much if it's a 450f.

I'm thinking about how the leverage of the lever or your hand works if it's adjusted so the lever is close to the bar? Is a person's hand stronger when the fingers are extended more?

I only had that problem in one of my first races. It sounds like a long race. Maybe you have to pace yourself.

it's a 2014 yz450f. Its seems that the tips of the fingers would require more effort. Think hanging from a bar vs hanging from a ledge. Anyways I do use the clutch a ton do to the tight wooded areas. But it's in no way over using it because it's required otherwise it's constant stalling Edited by Goforaride

Oh yea I forgot to mention... I know they make them for our Harleys but not sure about dirt bikes and such. There's a cheap piece you can get called an ez pull for clutches that's only 15 bucks and it helps a bit.

Edit - looks like MSR and Moose make ez pull levers and add-ons. May be worthwhile if your hand gets that tired. I may even consider one to make feathering easier.

Edited by BP88
  • Like 1

Oh yea I forgot to mention... I know they make them for our Harleys but not sure about dirt bikes and such. There's a cheap piece you can get called an ez pull for clutches that's only 15 bucks and it helps a bit.

Edit - looks like MSR and Moose make ez pull levers and add-ons. May be worthwhile if your hand gets that tired. I may even consider one to make feathering easier.

I was gonna mention the moose ? never used one cause my clutch is butter though.

I have tried the mar lever. It makes the pull easier but requires a much longer pull. I couldn't get it adjusted to where it was comfortable and functional. I had to choose one or the other

Aww ok. Try see of you can find reviews on something better otherwise make sure you lube your cables periodically. It doesn't take long for dirt and stuff to clog up the housings. The PJ1 stuff works great and cleans the housing good. Triflow also works well as a lube. I personally hate cable lubers so I use a small plastic bottle with a syringe tip. The only plus side to using a cable luber is the pressure from the can helps clear the housings better.

Edited by BP88

I'm riding a CRF450X and hear what you are saying. I fitted a flywheel weight and Rekluse but ended up going back to the standard clutch as I didn't like the vague feel if the Rekluse. Now I have fitted a 'pivot assist' clutch lever from Ballard's here in Oz and with the flywheel weight no more flameouts, but if I had my time again I would fit a Clake One light clutch (hydraulic) setup as is only a bit more expensive than the Rekluse.

Check out this You Tube review:

https://youtu.be/5gQGY2quL8k

Cheers Red

• Helpful 1

More seat time. I was off the bike for 3 weeks with a neck issue and did a fast pace 3 hour tight single track ride Wednesday. Clutch side forearm felt weak and was failing. I normally do not get fatigue in that area. I also have a new 250FX and bar set up. Was using way more clutch for some climbs and switchbacks.

You can practice with a soft rubber ball in your hands, helps quite a bit.

Definitely look at bar sweep and position.

450 is usually pretty good to lug a gear high, how were you riding it?