2011 RMZ 250 wont kickstart but will push start?

Hi guys.

I have a problem with my RMZ.

It wont start when I kickstart it. It sounds like its lacking fuel.

If i push start it with a bit of throttle and in second gear, it will fire right up.

I have been succesfull in kickstarting it when hot if i give it a bit of throttle.

I have pulled the cylinder head off to inspect piston rings, valves and adjust the valve clearence. All good!

Any ideas?

I dont think so. When it starts, it runs just like new. Plenty of power, throttle response etc.

Seems strange that it should only be a problem when its kick started, right?

I know the previous owner had similar issues and eventually gave up.

It feels like theres plenty of compression, and will push start without any effort.

The valves were out of adjustment, but i adjusted them within specs so should be good.

I can get it to kickstart now with some throttle and maybe 10 kicks. Havent tried when its warm though, but now its around 20 degrees celsius and will kickstart with throttle and alot of kicks.

When it fires, it sounds and runs as it should. No misfires or anything like that.

FYI, with fuel injected bikes giving it "throttle" when kicking it does nothing.  You don't give it gas when you kick it. 

If its hard to start get it to top dead center then kick down.  Best of luck.

That's true, but it does give it more air through the throttle body though.

Doesn't really help. I'm kinda stumped - maybe it's an issue with the TP sensor or adjustment? Gonna try and see if i can adjust that tomorrow.

My bike used to do this i have a 2012 rmz 250.  What i did was turn the idle to the right all the way so it is backed in.  then turned it out 6 rotations not clicks 6 hole rotations and my bike started right up.

My bike used to do this i have a 2012 rmz 250.  What i did was turn the idle to the right all the way so it is backed in.  then turned it out 6 rotations not clicks 6 hole rotations and my bike started right up.

I agree with this, my 2011 had to have the idle set to at least 2500 rpm or it would be hard to kickstart

• 7 years later...