My '04 basket case build

Not much to report. New gaskets and seals came yesterday. I went with the Pro-X complete kit. Hopefully they are reliable. Right and left cases are due to arrive tomorrow so that's exciting. I should've ordered them a long time ago to save me this hassle. I'm hoping swapping all the bearings goes smoothly or there will be more money wasted.

I've messed around with my chassis a little bit in the meantime. All controls mounted and bark busters installed. Brake lines and calipers installed. The front brake bled nicely and the lever feels nice and firm, but I'll be damned if the rear wants to bleed. I pumped forever, reverse bled, removed master and checked my rebuild to make sure rubber cups weren't compromised, reinstalled, reverse bled, regular bled, and I can't get any pressure at all. With the brake line off and res full, a press on the pedal will force fluid through the orifice, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I rebuilt the caliper and thoroughly cleaned everything so I know the piston is free to move. My next step will be to to disassemble the master again and try to find the problem. No idea.

I'm ready to redo the engine when these parts come in. I'd love to start this thing, but the fact that I couldn't get it to fire before has me worried. I'm still unclear on my TPS positioning and I wonder if that would keep it from starting. I took that off the carb when I did that part of the rebuild/cleaning/new jetting.

I had a problem with TPS so i just set it in the middle and it runs great, but even when it wasnt set right it still started but just took 10 kicks

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll put it in the middle and hope for the best. I know that a shot of fuel squirts when the throttle is opened. And I had spark. The carb is drained for now since the bike is apart again. Once it's back together I'll put fresh 93 octane in and hopefully I can get a start.

Hey DF.  Sounds like some good progress.  I forgot to reconnect my TPS once and it didn't seem to make any difference.  I am sure it must have an impact on spark advance but it must be a small one.  That is strange about your rear brake.  There must be a scratch or a gouge in the master cylinder and fluid is getting past in that spot.  Are the pads you are using good? -- by good, I mean thick?  Very worn (thin) pads will sometimes give you a very soft pedal.

My '04 is by far and away the hardest of my bikes to start.  I have been through the carb at least three times.  In warmer weather I had it figured out.  Three full pumps of the throttle, choke on, throttle 1/4 open and kick.  I have not found the secret in the cold other than about 30 kicks...  Makes me wish I had an electric starter until it starts and then it runs great.

Henryrifle

Jeez, I hope 30 kicks is an exaggeration. I put .1 hours on the meter just kicking. Note: it was in the lower 40's that day so that probably had some effect.

Pads are fresh, I started getting irritated with the rear brake so I walked away from it last night. I'll open the master up again and take a real good look at everything before I start replacing parts.

I guess I can try a 160 main and move the needle clip to the 4th position and see if that makes a difference. At my altitude, that's what the service manual calls for under 40*F. Between 40-60 I'd just need to move the clip and add 1/4 turn of the fuel screw. I guess it'll depend on what the weather is like when I get it back together.

Unfortunately wifey kicked me to the curb this morning. I figure she found someone else. Otherwise she'd want to try to work through whatever the problem is. Prepare for an epic 250r build because I'll need to keep myself busy. Once that's finished, the 600rr street bike will undergo a full track build as well. I know these bikes won't find another man to be with so what else have I got to lose.

I'm pretty gutted about it. I loved the chick. Who knows, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

Happier note, I have these now.

FullSizeRender_zpsryz1vmvl.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsnvo4m3yu.jpg

And this, which is definitely different than the old. I'll look at the manual and compare. I see where it resides, hopefully the other bits bolt on without incident.

IMG_6479_zpszachiohz.jpg

Edited by darkfader