Sign in to follow this  

Disconnecting the rod inside the fork springs

Finally, after way, way too long, I've changed the fork oil in my XR650L.  I only got about 14 or 15 ounces out of each leg when I drained them, but put 19 ounces back into each one.  Interestingly, the oil color was different between the two.  It has a new color now - red - because I used ATF in there, whatever the recommended kind was.  The fork action feels quite a bit better to me now.

Anyway, I was curious about those rods connected to the fork cap and connected down inside somewhere else.  I didn't try very hard to remove them, but I'm curious if there are any tricks to removing them.  You would obviously have to disconnect them to put new springs in there.

Would any of you experts care to let me know what it takes to disconnect them?  (Forgive me for being too lazy to look it up.)

hold the 14mm nut on the damer roc,and spin the alloy top cap off with a wrench,,that`s it in a nutshell..

If you want all the guts out .,.you loosen and remove the nut on the bottom of the fork and everything pulls out..

B

If the oil in one fork was gray, that's probably from the teflon coating of your fork bushings.

Yup,,been there done that.......if it`s gray in one fork and black as chit in the other......you better pull the gray chitty fluid one apart,,that means the teflon is worn off the slider bushings in that fork and now is running on the copper base metal..

it`ll start wearing the alloy lower fork leg out in a hurry..as now you have copper against the alloy instead of slippery teflon..

B

Edited by brianhare

Yes, do both fork legs. I think there may be three bushings in these forks (it's been a while), so maybe disassemble to determine the condition before ordering parts.

You might as well install new seals and wipers while you have everything apart.

I bought the motion pro seal/bushing driver when i did mine..it is one sweet tool and worth every cent..

get the 2 bushings per leg and the fork seal and dust seals..very easy to do..

Took about 2 hours total with cleaning and reassembly..

B

I bought the motion pro seal/bushing driver when i did mine..it is one sweet tool and worth every cent..

get the 2 bushings per leg and the fork seal and dust seals..very easy to do..

Took about 2 hours total with cleaning and reassembly..

I probably took that long just to change the oil.  I'm a bit slow sometimes. ;)

The second time will go a lot faster. There are probably tutorials on youtube.

For taking the forks off and changing the fork oil?

I already know every step to take.  I've removed the forks before.  It just takes me a while to get the bike up on my "stand", find all the right tools, get the wheel off, get the speedometer cable and brake line/caliper off, slide them out, slide them back in again to remove the top piece after remembering I need something stronger than my hand to drive the wrench against, dumping out the old oil, then measuring and filling it with new oil.  Then, of course, doing all the reverse to put it back together.

And I was showing my son each of the steps so that he can do the same thing with his XR650L when he gets back home from his California visit.

I know how to do most maintenance tasks, it just takes me longer than I would like to do most of them and I don't really want to hurry while doing any of them.  I'm at the stage of life where I'm not really after "faster" for much of anything.  I just want things done correctly, and where riding is concerned, to get as much enjoyment out of it as I can.

• Like 1