09-14 CRF 450 wiki?

I am hoping to purchase a 09-14 CRF450 this week. 

Is there a wiki on these bikes anywhere? What to look for, what to change, etc? 

Is there any year to avoid? 

Will 13-15 plastic fit on a 09-12?

Is the 09+ really worth the extra money over an 08?

No, 13+ plastics wont bolt onto a 9-12. A few have tried and they are way off and look terrible.

09 was the first year of EFI. Myself and most people who have had owned both will agree that EFI is far superior, easily remapped for upgrades and rider preference and is proving to be more reliable than a carb.

Saying that the 09 had several major problems stock that were all easily fixable with some time and $$$. It had terrible mapping and a larger throttle body that made it jerky and prone to flame outs, jacked up rear suspension that made it unbalanced, a weaker clutch than previous years, a decompressor pin recall and a bad fuel pump. 10 saw most of these issues fixed.

Edited by nzgsr
  • Like 1

I am hoping to purchase a 09-14 CRF450 this week. 

Is there a wiki on these bikes anywhere? What to look for, what to change, etc? 

Is there any year to avoid? 

Will 13-15 plastic fit on a 09-12?

Is the 09+ really worth the extra money over an 08?

the 09 looks 2938049832098230489x better than the 13-15 idk why youd want to wrap it in ugly, just to look like youve got the new shift?

if you have got to have the new shift so people with think your "RICH AND COOL" get the new shift.

a stock 08 is better than a stock 09

a modded 09 is better than almost anything else out there IMO

No, 13+ plastics wont bolt onto a 9-12. A few have tried and they are way off and look terrible.

09 was the first year of EFI. Myself and most people who have had owned both will agree that EFI is far superior, easily remapped for upgrades and rider preference and is proving to be more reliable than a carb.

Saying that the 09 had several major problems stock that were all easily fixable with some time and $$$. It had terrible mapping and a larger throttle body that made it jerky and prone to flame outs, jacked up rear suspension that made it unbalanced, a weaker clutch than previous years, a decompressor pin recall and a bad fuel pump. 10 saw most of these issues fixed.

yeah all of these things,

with proper mapping and a +11 flywheel the throttle body/engine is not an issue,

many people poo poo at a heavy flywheel, guess what a 13 gained +13 ounces to its flywheel.......

anyone else? 

the efi is great, no plugged pilot jets.....or degraded accelerator pump diaphragm.

ive had no problem with my 09 fuel pump

i had to do suspension, (forks need to be "oversprung" 1 rate)

scotts dampner,

22mm tripple clamps,

machine swing arm slot further forwards, 

merge racing knuckle (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH LINK ARMS)

heavy flywheel

eddie sisneros remap (SUPER GREAT IMPROVEMENT)

problems,

some jump out of 5th gear, break the shift fork and shift drum.

if you test ride one make sure it goes into 5th and stays.

you can install a 450x dentent spring on them to try to prevent this if its not a problem already.

if its jumping out of gear it needs about 350$ of trans parts and some machine work.

after all ive done, and all the seat time i have with it, every other bike feels like heavy, slow, mushy unresponsive (handling and engine) garbage.
there is one quark tho,
they are tuckers, not pushers, ive gotten used to it, some people don't notice it (usually ridiculously fast guys don't somehow [probably their faster data processing rate]) some people get used to it (me after a long time) some people wont get used to it, and want a bike that simply pushes when your at the limit of front traction.
Edited by EnglertRacing

So having a bike newer than yours ,a 09 is because the owners are rich and cool? I think most have the newer bikes because new bikes don't break and their better. I've ridden the 09-12, good bikes after set up,but the 15 is a better bike, power, feel, etc. and the older a bike is, the more stuff starts to wear out and break . I say get as new as you can, they all need to be setup . The 15 is the best of any crf450 stock,02-15. I've owned or friends have owned every crf 02-15. The old carb bikes have heavy feel to them compared to the efi bikes ,and the 13-15 feel lighter and turn better than the 9-12.Go new if you can.

So having a bike newer than yours ,a 09 is because the owners are rich and cool? I think most have the newer bikes because new bikes don't break and their better. I've ridden the 09-12, good bikes after set up,but the 15 is a better bike, power, feel, etc. and the older a bike is, the more stuff starts to wear out and break . I say get as new as you can, they all need to be setup . The 15 is the best of any crf450 stock,02-15. I've owned or friends have owned every crf 02-15. The old carb bikes have heavy feel to them compared to the efi bikes ,and the 13-15 feel lighter and turn better than the 9-12.Go new if you can.

not what i was trying to say.

just that wrapping your old bike in shit to make it look like the new model is yuppie poser crap

like people who up badge their cars like putting a bmw m5 badge on their m3 or what not

you know what i'm trying to say?

im not going to put a body kit on my ranger and call it a raptor..... not that a 9-12 is a ranger and a 13+ is a raptor, just that things are what they are.....

like this classic here

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1098949-2011-crf450r-modified-into-2014-crf450r-race-build-powder-coated-frame-race-build/?hl=%20**%20%20race%20%20build

I'm with you on that, I run a single on my 15 looks and performs much better. When a dirt bike is more then a 3-4 yrs old stuff just gets worn out if you ride alot. I think hondas last the longest . KX,RM thats another story . Wanting to put the newest model plastic on older model is most times a young kid and they are the same ones that put M badging on 325s and their sun glasses cost more than their bikes (black plastic most times).A old 4 stroke is a money pit.

Edited by galligar

I'm with you on that, I run a single on my 15 looks and performs much better. When a dirt bike is more then a 3-4 yrs old stuff just gets worn out if you ride alot. I think hondas last the longest . KX,RM thats another story . Wanting to put the newest model plastic on older model is most times a young kid and they are the same ones that put M badging on 325s and their sun glasses cost more than their bikes (black plastic most times).A old 4 stroke is a money pit.

yeah stuff does wear, but if your a maintenence freak..... stuff can lasts a long time.

my friend is an elevator service tech, really into tinkering  he rides a 1996 kx500, he has been riding that since i started riding!!!

beautifully maintained.

Going to look at a 1 owner 09 450 tomorrow. Hopefully its in as good of condition as he says it is. 

I will check 5th gear. Suspension will be redone for me anyways, I do that with every bike. 

I only asked about 13-15 parts because  you can still find clean/new take off parts on eBay. 

Brand new 09 OEM parts are going for close to MSRP. 

Graphics/numbers would also have to be added but If I can get it Monday I should be able to get it ready to ride by the weekend. 

• Like 1

Going to look at a 1 owner 09 450 tomorrow. Hopefully its in as good of condition as he says it is. 

I will check 5th gear. Suspension will be redone for me anyways, I do that with every bike. 

I only asked about 13-15 parts because  you can still find clean/new take off parts on eBay. 

Brand new 09 OEM parts are going for close to MSRP. 

Graphics/numbers would also have to be added but If I can get it Monday I should be able to get it ready to ride by the weekend.

Short shift into 5th without the clutch and immediately pin it,see if it stays

Run it through 4th barely let off and shift it into 5th and get back on it see if it stays

• Like 1

Test rode the bike today and all was well except for one thing, the thing that I feared looking at an 09: clutch. 

When I pulled the clutch in and put it in gear it felt like it was engaging or it lurched and stalled.  Bike fired right back up and appears to have no other issues but I just knew the clutch would need work.  I financially planned on putting a clutch and brake pads on anything I buy but am still kind of bummed. 

Perhaps its just the cable adjustment but with the reputation these bikes have and the fact that its an OEM 4 spring clutch..I am thinking its in need of new plates/springs. 

Anyone have input?

Creeping forward when in gear with the clutch pulled could be cable adjustment, but more often than not is because the basket and/or inner hub are notched $$$. This is a problem on all dirt bikes.

The problems with the 4 spring clutch normally relate to slipping, weak clutch pull, and vauge engagement that varies alot with temp changes.

Creeping forward when in gear with the clutch pulled could be cable adjustment, but more often than not is because the basket and/or inner hub are notched $$$. This is a problem on all dirt bikes.

The problems with the 4 spring clutch normally relate to slipping, weak clutch pull, and vauge engagement that varies alot with temp changes.

So what could it possibly need to have replaced?

• 2 weeks later...

The clutch wouldn't be a deal breaker to me, BUT I would plan on the worst case scenario -meaning replacing the plates, cable and hub.  Probably about $400 if you do it yourself.  If he will discount it based on that it would be worth it.  If not look elsewhere. 

How much are you looking to spend?  

The new bikes stock are fast and light, However I find them uncomfortable to ride. My 06 crf450 compaired to my dads 2014 crf450 is just slightly heavier but much more comfortable. It really depends what you ride. If you ride tracks you prob want EFI if not its not a big difference.