Head gasket and base gasket?

I'm having my head worked on and I left my cylinder on while I'm waiting. I put on a new e base gasket with 2 coats of the copper spray when I installed my BB kit about 2000 miles ago. Do I need to replace the base gasket as well?

it might be OK, or you might be pulling the cylinder off again to fix a base gasket leak.

I would replace it

That's what I thought. Thanks

You should be fine. I just replaced my head gasket and didn't remove the cylinder. Bolted everything back together and the base gasket is fine.

I couldnt tell by your post , but did you put copper coat on the base gasket ? You only need to seal the head gasket and you should fit the base gasket dry , greg

The procedure I use is to loosen the 6mm bolts on the base, crack loose the 4 head bolts. Lightly snug up the 6mm bolts to hold the cylinder in place. Then remove the head.  Copper coat on the base gasket is un-necessary but should not hurt anything.  I think it will be fine.

no need to coat the base gasket, and yes you can reuse it. (I did 2 times on mine and no issue on the base...but the head need a new one everytimes.)

The procedure I use is to loosen the 6mm bolts on the base, crack loose the 4 head bolts. Lightly snug up the 6mm bolts to hold the cylinder in place. Then remove the head.  Copper coat on the base gasket is un-necessary but should not hurt anything.  I think it will be fine.

So I did this minus snugging up the two 6mm bolts BEFORE pulling the head off. I want to just leave it on but I really don't want to do this again for awhile. It's not hard at this point to pull the cylinder off and prep for a new base gasket. Probably gonna play it safe.

Also, once I get my rebuilt head, what shims do I put in to be within spec? I've got stage two hotcams and I know there's been differing opinions on whether hotcams specs or the Suzuki's specs are ok.

Thanks for this! To deepen our understanding, what's the reason to do it this way? Loosening the base bolts I mean?

Well you always loosen the small bolts first so they do not get overloaded when things relax as the 10mm bolts are loosened.  By lightly re-tigtening, it holds the cylinder in place so it does not shift and break the gasket seal.  Chances are in this case things are well bonded in place with the copper coat on the base gasket.

Also, once I get my rebuilt head, what shims do I put in to be within spec? I've got stage two hotcams and I know there's been differing opinions on whether hotcams specs or the Suzuki's specs are ok.

just what was in it to make mesurement..and reajust right away.

just what was in it to make mesurement..and reajust right away.

Ok. That makes sense.