Sign in to follow this  

93 cr250 with 98 cr250 motor wont start

Hey Everyone, I decided it was time to do a rebuild or an engine swap on my 93 cr250.  I decided to install a good used 98 cr250 motor in my 93 cr250 bike. I had no problems installing the 98 motor on the 93 frame. I installed a new oem cdi black box, new after market stator and coil. the electrical system I installed is for the 93 cr250 motor.  I also installed a new keihin 39mm pwk carburator, new boyseen reeds, new air filter. I cant get her to start for nothing. acts like she wants to start, kicks back alot when tryin to kick start but will not start. with the old motor it usually started within 1 to 3 kicks. I tried disconnecting the kill switch and that didnt help. does a 98 cr250 motor need the electrical system from a 98 cr250 to make it start or will it start with the 93 cr250 electrical system? I also tried adjusting the timing which didnt help. what could cause it not to start. I dont know what else to look for.

Hey guys, I have a 93 cr250 that had a worn out motor. I thought I would try and install a 98 cr250 motor. now that I have it installed it will not start. I'm using all new electrical components,  aftermarket stator, stock cdi box, aftermarket coil, tried new plug.  I also installed new keihin 39mm pwk carburator, boysen reed cage, clean air filter. acts like it wants to start. kicks back alot, tried to bump start, still wont start. does it matter what electrical system I am using. should I install a 98 cr250 electrical system since the motor is from a 98 cr250 bike or does it matter? This is driving me crazy. I have alot of money into fixing this bike already. I dont want to take it to a shop if I can help it. wont be cheap to have a shop look at it. can someone at least make a guess what the problem might be and what I need to do for a fix?

Edited by HeavymetalRacer1

I have a 93  cr250 r with a bad motor. I decided to install a 98 cr250 motor thinking it would be easier than rebuiding the old one. now that I have installed, it will not start. I'm using all new electrical components.  aftermarket high output stator, oem cdi box, aftermarket coil, new plug.  I also installed new keihin 39mm pwk carburator, boysen reed cage, clean air filter. acts like it wants to start. kicks back almost everytime when I try to start. tried to bump start it, still no luck. what electrical system should it run from? should I install a 98 cr250 electrical system since the motor is from a 98 cr250 or does it matter? This is driving me crazy. I have alot of money into fixing this bike already. I dont want take to a shop if I can help it. wont be cheap to have a cerdified mechanic diagnose the problem. can someone at least make a guess what the problem might be and what I need to do for a fix? any suggestions definately apreciated. Thanks

Does it have good spark?

Sounds like a spark or timing problem but make sure its getting fuel.

Maybe stator plate mis aligned. All of the 98 electrical should work together and all of the 93 electrical should work together but I dont think you can use some parts of the 93 and some of the 98 electrical together

I cant really see a spark when I tried to test for it. if all the 93 cr250 electrical parts are new it should already have good spark correct? is there a better way to check the spark other then plug against the motor? I have other spare coils and stators I have tried that were suppose to be good but it didnt make a difference. thats why I am stumped. nothing seems to work like it should. plug is wet when I check so I know its getting fuel.

Just curious, did you have verification the 98 motor ran before you put it in your frame, or was it a blind internet purchase?

bought the motor off a ebay auction. was described as being a low hour motor. must have good compression, just about breaks my foot to kick start. there isnt any oil leaks. everything looks tight. baffles me that it wont start.

I had an 89 flywheel and stator on my 87, and had the same problems.  Went back to 87 and she runs well now.  Make sure ALL the electrics are the same for the motor you are using.

Which flywheel are you using? The '93 CR250 is an analog ignition and the '98 CR250 is a digital ignition. The flywheels are different. If you are using '93 cdi, coil, and stator, you must use the '93 flywheel. The '98 stuff would require the '98 flywheel. You can't mix and match between the analog and digital ignitions. If you look at the two flywheels, you will notice that the trigger points are different. That will throw the timing off. Not only that, the magnets in the flywheels are different as well.

at first I made that mistake of leaving the 98 flywheel on with the 93 electrial system and it had no fire at all. I now have the 93 flywheel installed. it acts like it has some spark. not sure if it has enough to start though. cant see the spark when testing,  doesnt shock my hand when doing a spark test against the motor studs while touching metal on the plug. not sure if thats a sign of trouble or not?  sounds like it wants to start but doesnt. does it matter if the stator and coil are aftermarket or should they be oem parts as the cdi box is? I emailed honda dealer and they thought a 98 motor should have the 98 electronics to make it run. is this correct or should it run with the 93 system as well? so far I'm not having any luck gettin it to run with the 93 electronics? 

Edited by HeavymetalRacer1

at first I made that mistake of leaving the 98 flywheel on with the 93 electrial system and it had no fire at all. I now have the 93 flywheel installed. it acts like it has some spark. not sure if it has enough to start though. cant see the spark when testing,  doesnt shock my hand when doing a spark test against the motor studs while touching metal on the plug. not sure if thats a sign of trouble or not?  sounds like it wants to start but doesnt. does it matter if the stator and coil are aftermarket or should they be oem parts as the cdi box is? I emailed honda dealer and they thought a 98 motor should have the 98 electronics to make it run. is this correct or should it run with the 93 system as well? so far I'm not having any luck gettin it to run with the 93 electronics?

Any motor from '92 to '01 will work with an ignition system from any other year as long as all the ignition components are from the same year. That's the safest route to go. If you can find an OEM stator and coil for the '93 system, I would go there first. Some aftermarket stuff doesn't always work with OEM parts as it should. I bought a heavy flywheel for my wife's bike, a CRF250R, and then had to buy the matching stator because the bikes ignition would cut out after a few minutes. The aftermarket flywheel magnets didn't like the OEM stator in that case. You should be able to buy a complete CR250 ignition off Ebay, I did that with my CR500 and ended up with an '01 CR250 ignition for it. Works great and is a nice upgrade from the old analog CR500 stuff.

I have tried many stock electrical system parts for my bike that were used including a new oem cdi box and havent had any luck gettin anything to work right so I tried some after market parts as well and still doesnt want to start. so now  I decided to try a different route this time. dont know if this true or if it really matters, the honda dealer said I should use a 98 electrical system on my 98 motor. I found a complete 98 electrical system on ebay that I just purchased that I  havent got yet. hopefully this will cure my starting problems. the only other question I have is will a 98 system fit on my 93 bike frame. I know the stator will fit but not sure if the cdi box or coil is goin to fit like it should. I hope I'm not goin to run into alot of problems tryin to make the 98 system work. also since the carburator on a 98 cr250 was fuel injected does that mean I have use a 98 carb as well or will the keihin pwk 39mm carb that isnt fuel injected  I have work as well?

if any electrical system from 92 thru 2001 will work why the electrical parts I have been using from yrs 92-96 dont seem to be working right? dont know if the used parts I have been buying are faulty even though the seller said they were good but nothing I try will make the 98 motor start. acts like it wants to start but doesnt. been kicking it to death and cant get it to start for nothing. seems to have good compression cuz it has been killing my foot tryin to start it.

I have tried many stock electrical system parts for my bike that were used including a new oem cdi box and havent had any luck gettin anything to work right so I tried some after market parts as well and still doesnt want to start. so now  I decided to try a different route this time. dont know if this true or if it really matters, the honda dealer said I should use a 98 electrical system on my 98 motor. I found a complete 98 electrical system on ebay that I just purchased that I  havent got yet. hopefully this will cure my starting problems. the only other question I have is will a 98 system fit on my 93 bike frame. I know the stator will fit but not sure if the cdi box or coil is goin to fit like it should. I hope I'm not goin to run into alot of problems tryin to make the 98 system work. also since the carburator on a 98 cr250 was fuel injected does that mean I have use a 98 carb as well or will the keihin pwk 39mm carb that isnt fuel injected  I have work as well?

I think you are on the right track by having a complete OEM '98 system, not that a complete OEM '93 system would not work as well. The key is that all the components have to be in good working order.

You do not need the '98 carb, just tape up the connector that would go to the Power Jet connection on the '98 PJ carb and tune in the 39mm PWK to make the bike run correctly. The PWK is a better carb than the PJ anyway. For the 39mm PWK, put in a #45 pilot with the air screw at 1.5 turns out, CEJ (R1368H) needle in the 3rd clip, and number 175 main jet. That should put it pretty close, might still need a tweek from there. Those jets should be used with 100% 92 pump premium.

I should have also mentioned to check your kill switch wiring. Might be something simple like that.

I just got the 98 electrial system for my 98 motor. the only problem is it looks like the cdi box from the 98 system is quite abit wider then the cdi box from the 93. any suggestions what would be the best way or where to mount the cdi box from the 98 to a 93 frame?

I just got the 98 electrial system for my 98 motor. the only problem is it looks like the cdi box from the 98 system is quite abit wider then the cdi box from the 93. any suggestions what would be the best way or where to mount the cdi box from the 98 to a 93 frame?

In the '98 frame they mounted under the front section of the gas tank, won't work on your '93. On my '99 CR500AF with the '01 CR250 ignition, I mounted it to the front of the steering tube behind the number plate with a stock '01 bracket. That may work for you if the wiring harness is long enough.