Sign in to follow this  

Picked up a new 250fx, what a great bike!

Just picked up a new 250fx last sat, raced it Sunday and felt comfortable on it within 2 laps. This bike is awesome, suspension is awesome from the factory, a little soft and choppy but not bad at all once you adjust the clickers (for myself at 170lb). The power the motor puts out is very impressive when paired up with the 6sp, it was hard to get use to at first. I was always in the wrong gear after always having a 5spd, but now I'm getting use to the close gear ratios I love it! If you are a woods rider and thinking about this bike, do yourself a favor, go buy it!

Playing around on my woods track

• Like 2

Never been a Yamaha fan but I couldn't fault the one i rode. It was awesome :thumbsup: . If I were looking for an off road 4T, the YZ250FX would be it. Yamaha hit the proverbial nail right on the head with this one.

Edited by AddictedToBling

I absolutely love mine. I find that the faster/harder you ride, the better the FX performs. The FX is definitely designed to be a XC race bike not a casual trail cruiser.

• Like 3

I absolutely love mine. I find that the faster/harder you ride, the better the FX performs. The FX is definitely designed to be a XC race bike not a casual trail cruiser.

Hence why they don't have compliance and the WR does   :thumbsup: . Sick of hearing people biatch about that :banghead: .

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 1

Yamaha has to offer something in their 2015 line-up that meets Green Sticker requirements, but they make it really easy to derestrict the new WR, and unleash the beast.  

I would say most people outside of the areas that demand compliance, derestrict the WR right from the get go. 

I also agree the faster/harder you ride, the better the derestricted WR performs. Great bikes! :thumbsup: ​ 

Yamaha has to offer something in their 2015 line-up that meets Green Sticker requirements, but they make it really easy to derestrict the new WR, and unleash the beast.  

I would say most people outside of the areas that demand compliance, derestrict the WR right from the get go. 

I also agree the faster/harder you ride, the better the derestricted WR performs. Great bikes! :thumbsup: ​ 

I Hate WR's, in any capacity. The FX is Awesome  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Does an uncorked 15+ wr250f ride anything Like the fx? Haven't seen many reports on these.

As per Yamaha, there are very few differences between the two all new bikes.

Once uncorked, the only recognizable differences between the two are the WR comes with a headlight, an LED taillight, a skid plate, a cooling fan, and an onboard enduro computer, the FX does not.

The FX suspension is tuned for cross country, the WR for enduro.

Dirtbike Magazine did a quick video review of the two all new bikes basically showcasing the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VpQNEq3hI​

I would like to ride an FX to get a seat comparison between the two, that would be fun, but to date I haven't yet.

Edited by team_burk

Looks Good. Thinking about one for next season. How does it turn compared to your old Honda or Suzuki? How does the suspension compare?

I think it corners easier than my crf, it actually feels super nimble for it weighing almost 20lb more than my crf. It took some getting use to the ride because if feels like you are sitting a foot higher on it after getting off my crf. I am 5,9" and I am on my toes to touch the ground. The added ground clearance is nice, going over trees I would hit the frame on my crf but  it barely touches my skid plate on the 250fx.

I never rode the crf with stock suspension, I took it off when it was in the crate and had it set up for off road so its really not a fair comparison between the two. The 250fx definitely lacks the plushness of good off road suspension but all of that will be fixed this winter when I send it out to factory connection.

That's interesting. I felt like my fx was set a little stiff for my weight (165) from the dealer.

I feel like it is stiff at slower speeds (single track, creek sections, anything tight and technical) but at speed in open trails I think it is soft. I had to adjust the clickers a little which helped out but it still needs a little tuning help I think.

I couldn't have said it better! The more I ride it the more I love it, I have never connected with a bike quite like I have with the 250fx. It it the perfect off road 250f, now I wonder how long it will be before they release a yz450fx?

The one thing I wish they would have done it put a larger tank on it, 2Gal isn't enough to get through a 2hr race, 3gal would have been perfect!

Edited by mmmm waffles
  • Like 1

Australia dirt bike tested the bikes. Stock WR, FX and an uncorked WR, and the quickest on their enduro test track was the uncorked WR. The WRs in Oz come with the competition kit and fully programable ECU, so dealers deliver the bikes in exactly the same tune as the FX

• Like 2

This stuff sure can get confusing. Moreso when your dealer is totally incompetent. For the price difference the WR seems the logical way to go for woods guys.

Edited by YHGEORGE

another buckeye! awesome bike and nice trail on your video. i am doing the 1st hare scramble ive done in 20 years this sunday. only ride mx on a 15' yz250f. i did a little woods riding today and messed with clickers. its not a woods bike,lol. anyone have some settings for woods on the mx bike? would you change fork tube height,sag also? i have 10mm on forks. i tried way softer and scared myself. mx set up is no way jose,felt like a jackhammer. i even thought moving the bars if that makes sense. 2hrs seems long after how it handled today :jawdrop:

another buckeye! awesome bike and nice trail on your video. i am doing the 1st hare scramble ive done in 20 years this sunday. only ride mx on a 15' yz250f. i did a little woods riding today and messed with clickers. its not a woods bike,lol. anyone have some settings for woods on the mx bike? would you change fork tube height,sag also? i have 10mm on forks. i tried way softer and scared myself. mx set up is no way jose,felt like a jackhammer. i even thought moving the bars if that makes sense. 2hrs seems long after how it handled today :jawdrop:

Try sag about 105-108 and forks at no more than 5mm above the top clamp. Try removing 10CC of oil from each fork. Then ride and test clickers.

The settings are all in the rider. The easiest thing I have found to do is start everything out in the middle and adjust from there. Here is some basic info on what to adjust http://motomalaya.net/blog/2011/12/19/motocross-suspension-setup-guide-from-motorcyclegear-com/

Where were you racing at?

Edited by mmmm waffles

Just picked up a new 250fx last sat, raced it Sunday and felt comfortable on it within 2 laps. This bike is awesome, suspension is awesome from the factory, a little soft and choppy but not bad at all once you adjust the clickers (for myself at 170lb). The power the motor puts out is very impressive when paired up with the 6sp, it was hard to get use to at first. I was always in the wrong gear after always having a 5spd, but now I'm getting use to the close gear ratios I love it! If you are a woods rider and thinking about this bike, do yourself a favor, go buy it!

Playing around on my woods track

Raise that go pro just a little! Thanks.