Sign in to follow this  

new clutch problems

My clutch was slipping so i bough a ebc kit from my local shop and changed it out. Everything is assembled right according to diagrams and videos. I replaced the shift star a while back so i was familiar with inside here. I am borrowing a manual again tomorrow. My problem is that when it is all assembled and the case cover is put back on the decompressor works but when it is in gear and you push the clutch lever in it doesn't disengage and acts like it is still in gear and wont roll. not sure what i could've done wrong I've done it like 3 times over again.

Putting in new frictions increases the thickness of the clutch pack and can require readjusting clutch cable length.

So I suggest to first check cable adjustment, should only be a little bit of play at the lever, and the lever pull should be similar to what you had before. 

Also did you install the same number of disc/plates as you removed?  Some kits cover several models and can have more plates than required.

Edited by Chuck.

Yes I have the same number of plates and they soaked in oil for a very long time because I got busy. Will check the cable and stuff but the disengage lever is very easy to push with your hand.

First lube the cable with a cable lube tool and lube the clutch lever pivot while your at it. Adjust cable free play at the case first.

Free play adjustment at the lever is for when your out on the trail, riding, and you need a quick minor adjustment.

Still no good?

1) Then re-install your old clutch and see if it works at least as well as it did originally.

Still no good? Then get at factory Honda OEM shop manual and read all about it and put it together correctly.

2) Great...It's working as well as it originally use to work before you replaced it.... That means that you did a good job and installed it correctly after all.

BUT this means your aftermarket replacement clutch is junk and won't work properly even when you install it correctly.

3) get you $$$ back for the aftermarket parts (if you can?)

And purchase Genuine Honda Factory replacement parts.

Along with your skills of installing things properly, your OEM Honda parts will provide you with a very long and happy service life!

4) While your in there anyway, thourghly clean you centrifugal oil filter. (Bonus if you already did! Good job)

Let us all know how things turn out and what you find out....

Edited by adnohguy

With the clutch cover off simply pull the clutch lever in and see is the pressure plate is disengaging.

Doesn't work with the XR200 because the clutch release mechanism is in the clutch cover.

Installing the right side cover can be frustrating because you need to do several things at the same time: The brake pedal gets in the way. The clutch arm  needs to be pointing in. The compression release cam must be turned CCW while sliding the cover home. And you need to gently slide the cover home so it is tight to the center case before installing any bolts.  

@ the PO: While I almost always use genuine Honda parts I have used EBC clutch kits before so post up the  EBC part number you used.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Doesn't work with the XR200 because the clutch release mechanism is in the clutch cover.

Installing the right side cover can be frustrating because you need to do several things at the same time: The brake pedal gets in the way. The clutch arm needs to be pointing in. The compression release cam must be turned CCW while sliding the cover home. And you need to gently slide the cover home so it is tight to the center case before installing any bolts.

@ the PO: I've used EBC clutch kits before so I'm curious what EBC part number did you use.

I will look at the end part number, not sure my local shop got it for me. I have installing the cover down pretty well.

I will look at the end part number, not sure my local shop got it for me. I have installing the cover down pretty well.

The package should have an EBC part num.  The EBC kit that I used was a DRC91 and included stiffer springs, installed in 2012 on my Powroll XR218, still running good.

The package should have an EBC part num. The EBC kit that I used was a DRC91 and included stiffer springs, installed in 2012 on my Powroll XR218, still running good.

It's a drc91 and the old clutch plates and springs don't work either. Might have to take it to my shop and spend 60$ although I'd rather not have too. May be the case sadly.

Got it fixed after taking it apart and trying again a few more times. Had to wait for forever for thumpertalk store to get a new gasket to me. Bike ran great today and that new clutch is terrific!! I never knew my bike had so much torque and potential just waiting to be restored!

• Like 1