Sign in to follow this  

Washington Tahyua Horsecamp

My family & I respect horses & stay clear of the horse camp while riding. On Sat. 8/8 after Mission creek we jumped on to Tahyua River Trail to Horsecamp. We stopped at the top of the hill to notice very few there. Being depleted of water and having to use the restroom I decided to roll in slow so the wife & girls could use the facility. The sign stated closed to no ORV camping. Wrong thing to do, This maniac came running over shouting obscenities. Stating that the campground was closed to ORV's. I said we were just going to use the restroom. then his drunk wife jumped into the mix and spooled me up! I jumped on my bike & rode up to the top of the hill to reread the sign to make sure I hadn't misinterpreted what it said. A couple weeks ago the place was full of horse trailers so I just stayed clear. There were 3 horses in the corral and one other campsite being used. So...... I can use the restroom here, Correct? or absolutely not .  PS the story is a little longer than this but the facts are there.    :thumbsup:  :thumbsdn:  :lame:  :ride:  :devil:

I just went on the DNR website and what it said was no motorized camping.Did not say closed to motorized use. If they had a vehicle parked in the campground and we're using it they would be in the wrong too.

The idea is to let the horse riders have a place to pack in and camp without be bothered by orvs or car campers.

Was the gate closed?

• Like 1

I just went on the DNR website and what it said was no motorized camping.Did not say closed to motorized use. If they had a vehicle parked in the campground and we're using it they would be in the wrong too.

The idea is to let the horse riders have a place to pack in and camp without be bothered by orvs or car campers.

Was the gate closed?

no

Should send civil letter to the DNR and Back Country Horsemen  (the group that always has it it reserved)

You most definitely are allowed and welcome to use the facilities there while riding your ORVs, regardless if it is a non-orv weekend. Did you notice if he was the host? I will contact the DNR and back country horsemen tomorrow, they won't be impressed by that buffoons actions. I'll ask them to remind the hosts that ORVs can still pull into the camp. We are the ones that came up with this plan and schedule so they'd better be polite and appreciate it. And the idea wasn't to pack in, it was to allow them to camp with their trailers and motorhomes.

• Like 2

You most definitely are allowed and welcome to use the facilities there while riding your ORVs, regardless if it is a non-orv weekend. Did you notice if he was the host? I will contact the DNR and back country horsemen tomorrow, they won't be impressed by that buffoons actions. I'll ask them to remind the hosts that ORVs can still pull into the camp. We are the ones that came up with this plan and schedule so they'd better be polite and appreciate it. And the idea wasn't to pack in, it was to allow them to camp with their trailers and motorhomes.

yes,they were in the hosts spot. My wife did write a letter to the DNR on there website. Talked to another guy in eff. Staging,said he ran him off also.

I just sent the following to the local DNR manager, E&E officer and trail coordinator, as well as our local Back Country Horseman rep.

Jesse and Jim,

The following was posted on a motorcycle chat site today:

"My family & I respect horses & stay clear of the horse camp while

riding. On Sat. 8/8 after Mission creek we jumped on to Tahuya River

Trail to Horse camp. We stopped at the top of the hill to notice very few

there. Being depleted of water and having to use the restroom I decided

to roll in slow so the wife & girls could use the facility. The sign

stated closed to no ORV camping. Wrong thing to do, This maniac came

running over shouting obscenities. Stating that the campground was

closed to ORV's. I said we were just going to use the restroom. then his

drunk wife jumped into the mix and spooled me up! I jumped on my bike &

rode up to the top of the hill to reread the sign to make sure I hadn't

misinterpreted what it said. A couple weeks ago the place was full of

horse trailers so I just stayed clear. There were 3 horses in the corral

and one other campsite being used. So...... I can use the restroom here,

Correct? or absolutely not . PS the story is a little longer than this

but the facts are there."

It turns out this isn’t the only ORV the person ran off this weekend. Obviously this isn’t what we agreed to, even on non-ORV weekends, ORVs are welcome to lightly ride down and take a break and use the restroom or whatever. I noticed on the BCHW web site that the calendar doesn’t show anyone as listed as hosting, so was there not an official host during this non-ORV weekend? If not, I think that is a bad deal, a host would have been trained to know that ORVs can still ride down and use the facilities, they just can’t camp. and If it was an official BCHW host, well then we really do have a problem, don’t we.

It seems to me that if the motorized community is going to be gracious enough to agree to not camp there on these four weekends, then there should be interested people from that group willing to host the campground to insure the weekend goes smoothly and there are no unnecessary conflicts like this, agree? So there is one more non-moto weekend on the calendar, August 21-24, is there a volunteer host for that weekend? If one isn’t available then we need to revisit the non-moto aspect of it.

Let me know what you think,

Steve

• Like 4

Now I'm not sure what to think, I was contacted by the camp host who was there this day and apparently the person that the op had his encounter with and got an entirely different version. The host happens to be a friend of mine that has worked with me on many DNR projects and very ORV friendly, in fact he used to be in our club. He also does not drink and I have never heard him swear. So without turning this into a public he said/she said, I will just say that on the 4 non-moto weekends they are now asking ORVs to park at the bottom of the hill and walk to the restroom and not ride around the campground due to some people not thinking that once is enough and that going slowly or quietly is an option, not a requirement. We will address this again this winter at our focus group meetings and come up with a revised policy and clear signs. I'm not stating that the original poster was doing that, in fact the host specifically said he wasn't.

Edited by Mud Ducks
  • Like 1

Now I'm not sure what to think, I was contacted by the camp host who was there this day and apparently the person that the op had his encounter with and got an entirely different version. The host happens to be a friend of mine that has worked with me on many DNR projects and very ORV friendly, in fact he used to be in our club. He also does not drink and I have never heard him swear. So without turning this into a public he said/she said, I will just say that on the 4 non-moto weekends they are now asking ORVs to park at the bottom of the hill and walk to the restroom and not ride around the campground due to some people not thinking that once is enough and that going slowly or quietly is an option, not a requirement. We will address this again this winter at our focus group meetings and come up with a revised policy and clear signs. I'm not stating that the original poster was doing that, in fact the host specifically said he wasn't.

Thank you... Question answered. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've been in both camps and I really think this horse/ORV issue between people needs to be resolved because it hurts both groups.

Both are users of public land and together we can accomplish much, divided little. 

There have been several situations posted on TT regarding conflict between users that  clearly indicated a lack of knowledge about what conduct is required for shared use of trails.

When I was a 4H leader we worked to familiarize horses to ORVs, and as posted here many times ORV users need to learn about horse behavior.

I think the above is appropriate for the subject of this thread.

• Like 2