Sign in to follow this  

Clicking sound near front sprocket

Hi guys.

Ive noticed a clicking sound which seems to be coming from my front sprocket area. Its only noticable on acceleration, if i pull in the clutch or let go of the throttle the noise goes away. Although, i did hear a faint clicking when wheeling my bike in to my garden today.

Is anyone familiar with this? Ive noticed a couple of threads on here about it but none of them seem to have gotten an answer.

I recently did the loctite fix, and i think since then its been noticable. But that also involved wheel alignment and slack adjustment so i feel like they could both be a cause. My axle block lines used for wheel alignment are no use as my wheel is to far forward to match the lines on the swingarm and axle blocks. So i guess the wheel could be out of alignment.

My chain is very new, front sprocket is in decent condition. Chain lubed when i did the loctite fix.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks for any inputs

I'm experiencing the same thing. I was about to search the forum to see if I was crazy. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive since hitting 25k, but I feel like it's not normal and have started to suspect my countershaft bearing. I only hear it under load, as you've said. I keep telling myself it's just normal chain noise.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I was about to search the forum to see if I was crazy. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive since hitting 25k, but I feel like it's not normal and have started to suspect my countershaft bearing. I only hear it under load, as you've said. I keep telling myself it's just normal chain noise.

When doing the loctite fix, i spun the countershaft with my fingers and it moved freely with no clicking, but im not sure if that means anything since i cant really hear it unless accelerating.

I hope its not a big problem because ive done a few miles with it like this.

drop the chain and try again. chain alignment can cause all kinds of noises and premature wear

• Like 1

drop the chain and try again. chain alignment can cause all kinds of noises and premature wear

Will give this a go

The way set alignment is by counting the turns coming from all the way in and repeating on the other sides, then counting the treads visable. I know thats probably not the way to do it, but i cant use the alignment guides on the swingarm and axle blocks as they need to be set before the lines start or my chain is too tight. I think the previous owner removed links from the chain to make it just about fit.

Perfect timing. I have the same noise. Sounds like the chain rattling into something. But chain and sprockets are new.

I have checked the chain rollers. They are in perfect order. One more notch on the adjusters makes the chain too tight when damper is compressed. What the heck is this strange noise? Did the locktite fix when i replaced sprockets. No slack on the axle or the old sprocket. My bike has only 6000km and is very well maintained. Could it be the cam chain?

Oh by the way. Did an oil change too. Virtually no residue on the magneto plug.

Mine is an S-model with 15-44.

Edited by Harald

Perfect timing. I have the same noise. Sounds like the chain rattling into something. But chain and sprockets are new.

I have checked the chain rollers. They are in perfect order. One more notch on the adjusters makes the chain too tight when damper is compressed. What the heck is this strange noise? Did the locktite fix when i replaced sprockets. No slack on the axle or the old sprocket. My bike has only 6000km and is very well maintained. Could it be the cam chain?

Oh by the way. Did an oil change too. Virtually no residue on the magneto plug.

Mine is an S-model with 15-44.

Its quite strange, ive seen quite a few people with this problem cropping up very recently, and no one knows what it is lol.

I spoke to MuddySump (motorbike mechanic, made the DRZ valve clearance check tutorial) and he said it could be worn out front sprocket (mine seems fine) or chain out of alignment. Also said they can just be noisy too.

I hope its not the cam chain, im pretty sure its not as i heard faint clicking when pushing my bike the other day.

Edit: Btw, did you notice this noise straight after putting new sprockets/chain/adjusting slack?

Everybody go adjust your chain a bit looser and report back.

Mine was actually too loose and it was still making this noise. I was getting a bit of chain slap, i think now my slack is about as good as it can be, not too loose but definitely not too tight, so im hoping its more to do with the alignment.

One method i saw recommended on a youtube comment was placing a steel rule or square up next to the sprocket and make sure it lines up with the chain, so i will be trying that tomorrow to see if its straight.

Edited by BorisTheBlade

Edit: Btw, did you notice this noise straight after putting new sprockets/chain/adjusting slack?

Chain and sprockets was new when I bought the bike at 4200km, but the PO had installed a cheap piece of sh** chain, and I thought "that is it"!

Replaced chain, still same sound. My local mechanic told me I was a cheap bastard as well and ordered me to replace the sprockets too, but they looked just like the new ones. Not worn at all.

Now it has JT sprockets and DID Vx2 chain.

I will loosen my adjusters one notch and testride later today.

Edited by Harald

Chain and sprockets was new when I bought the bike at 4200km, but the PO had installed a cheap piece of sh** chain, and I thought "that is it"!

Replaced chain, still same sound. My local mechanic told me I was a cheap bastard as well and ordered me to replace the sprockets too, but they looked just like the new ones. Not worn at all.

Now it has JT sprockets and DID Vx2 chain.

I will loosen my adjusters one notch and testride later today.

aha !   new chain on used sprockets will always = noise and premature wear of both. 

the radius of the sprockets vs the chain are the same when new. once it's used, those radius change as they wear. new chain will have different radius than the old sprockets, and both will wear (noise!) quicker. problem solved. :)

Had a weird sound from mine. Chain and sprockets. Always replace all of them at the same time as others have said. They wear in unison and a new chain on old sprockets will just wear out the chain faster and vice versa. It isn't worth the hassle of doing them individually.

I know it is lame not to replace sprockets and chain at the same time. My new chain has maximum 500km on the old sprockets before i replaced them with new sprockets last weekend. Testrode today. Noise is still there. Loosened my adjusters. Still noise. And harder rattling at certain loads. Too loose now in my opinion. So still not solved in my case.

And My old sprockets does not have visible wear compared to the new ones. They are after all only 1800km old....

Edited by Harald

I have had the noise happen one time before a ride and I had to adjust the snail adjuster 1 notch. The chain was just slightly too loose I guess.

I know it is lame not to replace sprockets and chain at the same time. My new chain has maximum 500km on the old sprockets before i replaced them with new sprockets last weekend. Testrode today. Noise is still there. Loosened my adjusters. Still noise. And harder rattling at certain loads. Too loose now in my opinion. So still not solved in my case.

And My old sprockets does not have visible wear compared to the new ones. They are after all only 1800km old....

did you loctite the front sprocket and nut on at both the splines and the threads ? 

Found it! I removed the upper chain roller today and went for a ride. The noise is gone.

So in my case it seems to be the chain hitting the upper roller is causing the noise.

And yes, I applied a few drops of loctite to both spline and threads.

Edited by Harald
  • Like 1

I've been having the same issue and im failry sure it's not the chain hitting the rollers.

After reading the previous posts it sounds like the issue lies in wheel alignment. The noise began after I adjusted my chain so my wheel must be slightly out of alignment.

Well I've got the rear wheel aligned according to the marks on the swing arm and the sprockets appear to be in alignment.  Chain slack has just under 2 inches of play below the swing arm.  BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE!!!  

I'm thinking it's the plastic/rubber chain guide thing that wraps around the swing arm adjacent to the front sprocket.  But I honestly have no idea.   :banghead:

Edited by kdweaver

aha !   new chain on used sprockets will always = noise and premature wear of both. 

the radius of the sprockets vs the chain are the same when new. once it's used, those radius change as they wear. new chain will have different radius than the old sprockets, and both will wear (noise!) quicker. problem solved. :)

My bike only had 2k miles when the noise started, the sprockets and chain are original from the factory so for me it isn't an issue of new parts and old parts.  The noise is from something else.

Went for a short ride with the front sprocket cover off, took a video to capture the noise.  

Uploaded it to Youtube:  

You can hear the noise starting and stopping as I toggle the throttle.

Is this the same sound others are having?  Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Edited by kdweaver