Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild Xr 200 front forks

Can't remove lower nut don't know what I'm doing

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1439158925.538353.jpg

You need to use an impact gun to get that one out.

I agree impact gun should do it. My local shop rebuilt both forms for $100 so I didn't trouble myself with the work.
  • Like 1

Put the forks back on the bike and have a buddy sit on it while you remove the DR bolts.  The weight of the rider will put a load on the top of the DRs and allow you to remove the bolts.

• Like 1

Can't remove lower nut don't know what I'm doing

Honda Service manual says to install the spring and cap, place fork in a soft jaw vise, and use a wrench to loosen the Allen bolt.  You will need some metric Allen sockets, avail at most auto part stores.

The link in the previous post is for cartridge fork, stock XR200s have damper rod forks so slightly different process.

For cartridge forks, and it should also work for damper rod forks like the stock XR200s use, I turn the fork tube upside down and put my weight against the slider to compress the spring and then hit the bolt with an battery powered impact wrench, almost always gets the bolt or base valve lose. If the 1/4" hex impact driver doesn't loosen the bolt I use a 1/2" impact driver. 

You need the damper rod holding tool, motion pro makes one.

Yes and I've made my own for cartridge forks after I got them apart with the impact so I could hold the cartridge during assembly.

Put the forks back on the bike and have a buddy sit on it while you remove the DR bolts.  The weight of the rider will put a load on the top of the DRs and allow you to remove the bolts.

That'll work but so will body weight on a upside down fork leg. But the easiest is the Honda method.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1