Have any of you ever decided after an injury that you would give the bike up?

Had an injury and questioning if it is worth riding because you mess up your body badly in crashes.

The first few days I was sure to give it up but as I get better, even though I will need surgery, somehow I don't want to give it up.

I need to know if anyone had similar thoughts about the bikes being too dangerous for injuries that could have life long complications and deemed it not worth it.

Maybe some of you compromised somehow, possibly driving less risky or something or less powerful bike.

Thanks

The main thing is to get enough seat time and experience on your bike and type of riding that boo boo's are not a part of your life.

Many times getting injured is not worth it. But you need to know what you and the bike are capable of. So get that feeling for it.

Not yet, Walk with a limp back hurts and left hand is a mess. Buddy has the right idea, Injuries are a thing of the past if you ride within your abilities.

I'm riding into my grave. It's been a huge part of my life and I can't give it up for anything

I started riding in 1970 and haven't stopped. I have been blessed with no major injuries. Now at 58 my body does hurt at times, but quit its not in my vocabulary.

After getting my collar bone plated a couple months ago I  have debated giving it up. I did go riding last weekend , took it easy, its still a little nerving to ride. Luckily its too damn hot to ride right now so another 6 weeks or so off the bike and I will go from there. My wreck was from going around a large puddle and hitting a very large hole that I couldnt see with the tall grass. One lesson I learned is to stay on the trail ! I have a plate in my wrist also and I'm 47, so time isnt on my side, but what am I supposed to do, sit on the couch and stare at the tv ?

So far i have given up street bikes,tricks and Big jumps is probably next. Getting ols sucks.

I've never been in a position with an injury that I considered all that bad, but I can tell you this. I've seen many a friend go through some pretty traumatic ordeals and in their position I may have to hang it up. All that said, I'd probably stick with it but scale it back.

Edited by Rooster72

its your life, your choice.

lets reword the question and see.

i had a injury from having fun. is it still worth it?

should i give up having fun in life?

what's it worth in life to not have fun?

now for my advice:

is life really lived if you don't take risk?

if you don't enjoy having fun then what?

life is short live every day as if its your last day,  enjoy the time you have no regrets. :ride:

Had an injury and questioning if it is worth riding because you mess up your body badly in crashes.

The first few days I was sure to give it up but as I get better, even though I will need surgery, somehow I don't want to give it up.

I need to know if anyone had similar thoughts about the bikes being too dangerous for injuries that could have life long complications and deemed it not worth it.

Maybe some of you compromised somehow, possibly driving less risky or something or less powerful bike.

Thanks

We've all crashed hard and faces injury. I've torn both rotator cuffs. Cut off my finger last year. The thought has NEVER crossed my mind to sell bc I recognize what I can do differently to avoid crashing in the future.

Mind if I ask what you did to yourself?? I decided not to ride MX--only offroad--after my brain injury crash, from jumping. That was 12 years ago, and I've gotten back into MX since bc I'm wiser now. I know my limits. That's fundamental.

Used to hit the jumps till I landed in intensive care. Kept racing until we had kids, sold my bikes. Once kids got old enough they got bikes then a year later I got another one. Now we as all racing, sticking to off-road, no more mx for us.

I sympathize with guys having to debate this decision. I can see why, like me I am blue collar and if I'm hurt, I don't work. Dirtbiking isn't worth losing everything... Including dirtbiking. Last year I crashed bad and dislocated a shoulder and that sucked, I could see having some bad injuries in a row with lengthy rehab would make you question what you're doing. Being laid up sucks so bad. My wreck was at the mx track trying to do too much. I'm not an mx'er anyway so it was very easy to give up doing the big jumps. Most of our hare scrambles are on parts of mx tracks but I just don't go crazy on the jumps, it won't make or break your race in a hare scramble anyway. I think only you can decide. But maybe change up what you're doing, riding offroad is really fun and challenging, alot safer than MX.

Ive went over my handle bars smashed my face in (chain snapped) had to have stitches on outside and inside lip. Lost front tooth/broken nose. Ive gad another where throttle wound open on a corner where there was an opening to a river also. Luckily there was a branch i jumped onto. My crashes or near misses are nothing but i know if if i had a serious crash and could still ride i would

Used to hit the jumps till I landed in intensive care. Kept racing until we had kids, sold my bikes. Once kids got old enough they got bikes then a year later I got another one. Now we as all racing, sticking to off-road, no more mx for us.

Staying in the offroad sector of riding has also been my approach, but the thought NEVER crossed my mind to sell my bike!  Now that my wife and I have small kids (possibly a 3rd on the way), I recognize why most men sell bikes to raise a family then get back into riding when the kids are old enough. 

I simply ride less now.  Mostly woods/offroad because it's much safer.

If riding is really something you like to do, you will continue to ride and learn from your mistakes.  If riding was just a passing fancy then you will find another hobby, probably a safer one.  Unless you putt around on dirt roads in no more than second gear then you are going to wreck, and sometimes get hurt.  I'd say staying off the MX track will help minimize the risks.

I just stay in the woods now too. Gotten to the stage in the game (57 years old) that I just ride and have a good time, leaving the big risk taking to the young bucks who can walk off the beatings a little better.

Though that mind set, for some reason, even though it's where I've had my (by far) biggest offs and injuries, hasn't transferred to the street yet. I have always loved sport bikes, track days, and fast backwoods twisties.. :smirk:

I don't decide "after the injury". One often tends to be one-sidedly subjective then. I decide after I'm healed up. Then, the nature of the injuries, the level of recovery and the susceptibility, consequences of reinjury go into deciding how much to dial it back or to quit all together.

I've had some bad injuries over the years, including a broken back. I've learned that I can dial things back, ride trails at my own pace, not getting caught up in someone elses adrenaline and listening to that little guy on my shoulder when he's cautioning me. I still have more fun than one should be allowed on a dirtbike.

One of my best riding buds broke his neck last year riding in Colorado. He's been back on the bike a few months now. Like me, he's learning how to protect himself from reinjury, adjusting the way he rides and just dialing it back and we still have a ton of fun.

I don't decide "after the injury". One often tends to be one-sidedly subjective then. I decide after I'm healed up. Then, the nature of the injuries, the level of recovery and the susceptibility, consequences of reinjury go into deciding how much to dial it back or to quit all together.

I've had some bad injuries over the years, including a broken back. I've learned that I can dial things back, ride trails at my own pace, not getting caught up in someone elses adrenaline and listening to that little guy on my shoulder when he's cautioning me. I still have more fun than one should be allowed on a dirtbike.

One of my best riding buds broke his neck last year riding in Colorado. He's been back on the bike a few months now. Like me, he's learning how to protect himself from reinjury, adjusting the way he rides and just dialing it back and we still have a ton of fun.

Being a huge proponent of neck braces, this caught my eye.  Was he wearing a neck brace, and if so, what kind?  And if he wasn't, does he now?  Glad to hear he's up and riding/walking again, though. :ride:

Being a huge proponent of neck braces, this caught my eye.  Was he wearing a neck brace, and if so, what kind?  And if he wasn't, does he now?  Glad to hear he's up and riding/walking again, though. :ride:

No, he was not, but does now.

I ride mostly mx. Done it for decades. Raced the Mega series at Muddy Creek, most every mx track in East TN, GNCC series and Mid-South series. I have been hurt racing mx, hare scrambles, trail riding, and just riding around the house. Just getting out of bed is a risk. Live life to the best of your ability.