racing etiquette?

I think I want to start racing (i'll probably do 250d to start), but am kinda wondering about etiquette. I mean at practice I get over and let faster people pass. Obviously you don't do that racing but what exactly is being a dick in outlaw amaetuer racing? I assume anything goes as long as you don't intentionally take someone out?

??

I think I want to start racing (i'll probably do 250d to start), but am kinda wondering about etiquette. I mean at practice I get over and let faster people pass. Obviously you don't do that racing but what exactly is being a dick in outlaw amaetuer racing? I assume anything goes as long as you don't intentionally take someone out?

??

dont do anything that you wouldnt be ok with receiving in return

??

Hold your line (or at least try)

My local track was dry and loose a couple weeks ago and it was hard for anyone to hold a line through the corners. But being all over the track is frowned upon by people trying to get around you

Yea. I say just dont block. Hold your fast line. If they can not pass you out of the line, then they belong behind you ;-). It will quickly become apparent if a much faster guy is behind you (in that case move!). The hard part comes after the field settles, and you are faster in one section, but slower in another... most of the time i try to pass clean, and let clean passes happen to me. But it again will become apparent who will play that way and who will not. just remember if you hold up a relly fast guy, they will become verry frustrated verry fast. You will see that vice versa aswell... on the track before the end of the hole shot you will have assessed every one relavent to you as ether, other guys on the track. Or mortal enemies. this probably sounds wered. But after turn one you will know more about the guys around you then you know about your family lol. Race hard and for the most part forget about etiquette. With the exception if you get a good hole shot, you will hear/feel when a much faster rider is stuck behind you. In that case i will take a slower line to avoid over driving my abilitys, or conflict with a better rider.

Hope any of that made sense. From a bottom of the top of the field c rider. Take it with a grain of salt. I think how it gose will become apparent on the first lap. Have fun and good luck!

Also what moto you get plays a big role. If you get a erly moto just do you, and worry about catching the guy in front of you. Its in the late motos that getting out of the way becomes a factor. Also im shure it depends on the track. But most tracks are designed with passing sections. Or choice obstacles. Like pretty much i only get passed when i take the whoop section instead of the duble im scared of... so on and so on.

Also what moto you get plays a big role. If you get a erly moto just do you, and worry about catching the guy in front of you. Its in the late motos that getting out of the way becomes a factor. Also im shure it depends on the track. But most tracks are designed with passing sections. Or choice obstacles. Like pretty much i only get passed when i take the whoop section instead of the duble im scared of... so on and so on.

why does a early vs late moto matter?

Yea. I say just dont block. Hold your fast line. If they can not pass you out of the line, then they belong behind you ;-). It will quickly become apparent if a much faster guy is behind you (in that case move!). The hard part comes after the field settles, and you are faster in one section, but slower in another... most of the time i try to pass clean, and let clean passes happen to me. But it again will become apparent who will play that way and who will not. just remember if you hold up a relly fast guy, they will become verry frustrated verry fast. You will see that vice versa aswell... on the track before the end of the hole shot you will have assessed every one relavent to you as ether, other guys on the track. Or mortal enemies. this probably sounds wered. But after turn one you will know more about the guys around you then you know about your family lol. Race hard and for the most part forget about etiquette. With the exception if you get a good hole shot, you will hear/feel when a much faster rider is stuck behind you. In that case i will take a slower line to avoid over driving my abilitys, or conflict with a better rider.

Hope any of that made sense. From a bottom of the top of the field c rider. Take it with a grain of salt. I think how it gose will become apparent on the first lap. Have fun and good luck!

thanks

In the later motos the track will have fast lines cut into it. Erly motos is like a free for all, till ruts get cut in.

??

If you need to ride over someone, make sure you lift the front wheel without spinning the back too much! (as you ride over their face)

Jokes aside, the second post pretty much covers it.

Just a warning, usually in the D and C classes, racing gets pretty ruthless. Unlike you, most racers in those classes do not care about etiquette. They will take you out and they won't think twice about it. At least through my xp. 

Not to scare you or anything, you'll be just fine. Just watch out for the jackasses. 

Ride your race, don't get in others' ways if they are trying to get around you.

But then there's the aggressive racer who doesn't let anyone by!  I'm not going to just let someone pass me, especially if the finish line is close, but I'm not going to take them out like Bubba used to do to Carmichael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg

I've just gotten into motocross and I will say that it's pretty clear once you get out there what to do. The fast guys will go around you so don't worry about them. You will find the lines you like, but don't feel stuck to them, you are racing, if they can't get by you then you deserve to be ahead of them. Don't purposely cut in front and block them from getting around you and you are fine. Taking away a line is racing and you will see pros do it all the time. Just remember, it's a race not a trail ride, don't let them by without a fight!

I recommend going to the track for a practice day at least 2-3 times before a race. Watch you tube vids from your class at that track so you can see what jumps you need to make, and start working on those. When you can do 5 consistant laps you are ready to race!

thanks everyone

one more question... yellow flag

I read passing is allowed just proceed with caution. However I saw in a old thread on here you are not allowed to double anything?

Probably a dumb question but is that till the flag is down or until you pass who/watever is causing the flag? Common sense says when you pass but idk. Don't watch racing.

Edited by problem_child

thanks everyone

I read passing is allowed just proceed with caution. However I saw in a old thread on here you are not allowed to double anything?

Probably a dumb question but is that till the flag is down or until you pass who/watever is causing the flag? Common sense says when you pass but idk. Don't watch racing.

Can't do any jumps, you must roll everything until you pass the downed rider. 

thanks everyone

Go to the riders meeting and ask if the flags aren't clearly explained. When you are racing, don't ride over your head all crazy with adrenalin. Pace yourself, breath and hold your line. If you think you need to move over, you might move over into another guy coming up. That will get you more grief than you need and will really make you look stupid.

Everyone has had a "first race", mine was a disaster but I was hooked. Don't take it too seriously until you get comfortable with the race pace. Good luck.

Pretty much what was said above and don't forget the most important thing.....have fun.

Ride your race, don't get in others' ways if they are trying to get around you.

But then there's the aggressive racer who doesn't let anyone by!  I'm not going to just let someone pass me, especially if the finish line is close, but I'm not going to take them out like Bubba used to do to Carmichael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg

I love that video.  Near the end when little Ricky picks up Bubba's bike and almost throws it on top of him as he's laying there is fricking funny. :lol:

Oh practice starts too, I thought it would be easy enough but I totally screwed my first three start my first race day. It really sucks starting your first three races 50yds behind the pack!

All you gotta do is go somewhere you can launch and maybe get a shift in at wot. Figure out what gear to start in and just practice that till it's easy. Will make the first part a little easier and let you focus on your moto instead of kicking yourself in the ass for stalling on the start line

I once had the lead and had a trouble 2Nd place rider all over my back tire, it's amazing how a good corner brake check will throw someone's rhythm off.... OK OK I was having a rough day and it was for the points lead!!

Be kind and respectful to others, always be polite and professional. Ride within your skill level, experience, and capability, hold your line, faster riders will find their way around you regardless of how good or bad you are. That's what racing is all about... getting around as many other riders as possible before the end of the moto. You will do fine, and have a blast in the process.

Rule # 1 = have fun.

Rule # 2 = don't be a bad sport.

Rule # 3 = learn from your mistakes.

Ride safe, and good luck.

Let us know how you do.

What he said^. on the yellow: they normally explain it in depth before racing starts. the no bs story is, its not nascar and the whole fied dos not slow down. Time in a caution is completely held against you and is part of race time. I have been passed being overly cautious to a flager. The important part is to not over drive your line of site in a caution. So natrly no dubles,... but you can still be fast, and just let out and drag some rear brakes over lips. There is no over though bs with an amateur motocross race. The idea is be as fast as you can be with out getting hurt or hurting someone else. the line from the speaker of every race ive benn at (we all got work on Monday be safe...) haveing only a post about how to be nice in a race to go off.... just do you, keep your head up, (not figurative, literally keep your head up and on the Next obstacle) you will feel like your pase is duble that of practice in a race. Thats a good thing. In practice you pay attention to detail. Once you are in a race, all the details go away, and you magicaly get much faster. If fear of getting wrecked exist, just never use the hole track, when you feel someone behind you. Its when you are hitting full apex not on pace, that will get you wrecked. As someone mentioned. It may be a good idea to purposely get a bad hole shot so you can watch it all un fold.

If you feel gutsy just do the damn thing. You will ride up to the occasion. Although we do not have lap time at my local track. I once fouled a spark plug on my CR 125, because we were the first moto so we got a parade lap to cut some grooves in the track. I did not run the bike hard enough on the lap and my bike lost spark seconds before the gates droped.

they let me run in the b class since i drove out and paid to race. Long story short- to date, the fastest i have ever rode in my life was fighting for 3rd to last. Also the most fun i ever had. To my point dont be nervous or any thing. You will natrly rise to the occasion, and how it gose will all make sence, after the first lap.