Best Way To Prevent Bike Theft?

Just wondering what are some of the bet ways to lock up your bike. I own a 2007 Kx450f and I keep it in my garage when I'm not riding. That's probably what most of you do but I have a few concerns. First of all, My garage is never locked because there is no key to open it. My garage door also has windows so anyone snooping around can see the bike. Second, my step brother always has his friends come over. Their main place to hang out is in the garage. I know his friends and I know they will mess with my bike and maybe worse. Now my main concern is theft. If I leave the bike out there rested on the kickstand, it is going to get stolen. So, I need some help. I've thought of getting some gnarly chain and locking the bike down in multiple spots. Also the garage is separated from my house by about 100'. Any help?

MANY threads on this. Please search first. 

I keep my garage shut, windows covered, limited decals on my truck etc etc. Most don't even know I ride...

Best way is to don't get a bike. If a thief wants it he will take it

OP, The only thing you can do MORE wrong is leave the bike outside.  You need to completely evaluate your garage/storage situation.  If not, maybe at least insure it for theft.  Good luck!

Trade it in for a KTM, nobody will want one of those!!

Cable lock it to something heavy. At least it will slow the theif down and make it harder for him. An unsecured dirt bike is very easy to take regardless of whether it's in the garage or not.

Keep them in the house.. 

0602131112b.jpg

0602131112a.jpg

0602131112.jpg

Keep them in the house.. 

Trust me. When I first got the bike I wanted it in my room but my dad was totally against it. I even have a plug for the exhaust. 

An uncuttable chain an lock, a lock for the rear brake, a lock to go through the sprocket and a locking motorcycle cover are good starts. Lock it to something that would take  a while to cut through, put the disk lock on, set the pad lock around the chain and through the sprocket, then put the locking cover on the bike.

Now it is hard to see what is under the cover. They have to cut the cover off, cut the chain (or what ever it is attached to, then remove the disk lock and cut the lock off the chain/sprocket. All that time will HELP deture a theif, and deffinatly keep someone from simply pushing it or riding it away.

If you know you won't ride it for weeks then just remove wheels and store them inside. Leave a wheel-less bike in garage. Harder to move that way. 

I bought a driveway motion sensor from harbor freight and installed it in the garage. The receiver is loud enough to be heard throughout the house. At least if I am home, my bikes won't be going anywhere. The range should work for you and I think I only paid $10 for it.

Layer your security starting with motion sensing lights outside all the way down to chaining up the bike.

The quickest, cheapest and most effective way is to lock the front and rear rotors of the bike. Find a lock that will fit through whatever size slots that are in your rotor. The locks I use are the round padlocks with the shank having only about 1" of it exposed, they are harder to cut off and the thief will need tools or a really strong back to pack the bike off. It's a safe bet to make that they won't make it very far, especially not in my messy garage.

A lot of good suggestions here, Mostly is common sense, as someone wrote above, analyze your storage situation, and make it as difficult as you can for them to try to take the bike. Most bike thieves will look for the easy and fastest way, so is the bike requires a lot of effort and risk, most likely they will walk away.

Also when I go or get back from the track/trails, I avoid to use the same route/ streets every weekend.

A lot of good suggestions here, Mostly is common sense, as someone wrote above, analyze your storage situation, and make it as difficult as you can for them to try to take the bike. Most bike thieves will look for the easy and fastest way, so is the bike requires a lot of effort and risk, most likely they will walk away.

Also when I go or get back from the track/trails, I avoid to use the same route/ streets every weekend.

The garage I am going to be keeping it in is unbelievably easy to get into. The front door does not lock. The big garage door can't be opened from the outside but anyone can get in. Also the small back door is made of old 2x4 and there is gaps in between each plank. That door has one of those slider locks. I will go out and take some pictures of it in a little bit.

The garage I am going to be keeping it in is unbelievably easy to get into. The front door does not lock. The big garage door can't be opened from the outside but anyone can get in. Also the small back door is made of old 2x4 and there is gaps in between each plank. That door has one of those slider locks. I will go out and take some pictures of it in a little bit.

should be just fine....

This is the inside of the big garage door.

20150810_1158581.jpg

This is the small door made of old 2x4 I was taking about. Pretty useless but still there.

20150810_1159051.jpg

Edited by Kinky Gram Gram

This green door is the front door to the garage. The one that doesn't lock.

attachicon.gif20150810_1158321.jpg

This is the inside of the big garage door.

attachicon.gif20150810_1158581.jpg

This is the outside of the big door. The lever on it does not work.

attachicon.gif20150810_1159481.jpg

This is the button on the inside of the garage that opens the big door.

attachicon.gif20150810_1159121.jpg

This is the small door made of old 2x4 I was taking about. Pretty useless but still there.

attachicon.gif20150810_1159051.jpg

This is taken from halfway up my drive way. The big door is on the right side of the garage. It's about 300' from the street. And the street I live on is a main road so there is a ton of travel on it.

attachicon.gif20150810_1200091.jpg

Did you really just post pictures of all your security weaknesses?

Did you really just post pictures of all your security weaknesses?

Do you know where my house is? No. So what does it matter? Also the bike isn't being kept in there. It's at a buddies house. So yes, I did just post pictures of all my security weaknesses.

Do you know where my house is? No. So what does it matter? Also the bike isn't being kept in there. It's at a buddies house. So yes, I did just post pictures of all my security weaknesses.

You just told me in another thread what town you live in. And I told you I only live 25-30 minutes away, so I mean it would be a concern. Telling people on the internet what town you live in and posting pics isn't the best idea