Sign in to follow this  

What wheels fit the DRZ400S?

Hi guys. New to thumpertalk! I've heard this is the place to go for any question! I plan on buying a 2005 drz400s in the near future. The wheels on it now are street wheels and tires. So I'm looking for a dirt set, that way I can do both on and off road. Anyways, what all wheels off different bikes will for the 400s? And where is the best place to buy a set of dirt wheels and tires? If there is already a forum on this, sorry.

Thanks.

Edited by diesel194

Hi guys. New to thumpertalk! I've heard this is the place to go for any question! I plan on buying a 2005 drz400s in the near future. The wheels on it now are street wheels and tires. So I'm looking for a dirt set, that way I can do both on and off road. Anyways, what all wheels off different bikes will for the 400s? And where is the best place to buy a set of dirt wheels and tires? If there is already a forum on this, sorry.

Thanks.

Welcome to the show! Check out the FAQ thread at the top. Also try the search function at the Top right. There are lots of options aftermarket wise. It depends on if you want the functionality of the OEM speedometer.

I actually plan on putting my OEM dirt wheels up for sale in the classifieds here soon if you want keep the stock speedo and all of that.

I've checked the FAQ and also searched the forum... there really isn't a "what wheels fit the DRZ" to be found.

In my searching/browsing, I've found bits and pieces about putting YZ wheels, KTM wheels, the infamous "Hooligan Mod", etc., but nothing like a listing of what fits or can be made to fit. I have an E that I'm looking to street... don't care about speedo drive as I'm putting a Vapor on it. That seems to be a big selling point for people, but not all.

The wheels could be broken down by Direct Fit to Custom Work Needed. I would be willing to help with it, but I am by no means that familiar with what's out there.

A parts interchange thread would be super helpful as well as the wheel thread for those of us scraping around for used parts. Things like forks, shocks, hand controls, brakes, etc.

If this exists, but I'm too dumb to find it, feel free to point me in the right direction and laugh at me.

I actually ran a wr frt wheel with the speedo drive and a longer cable from a basic 04 model, most yz wheels are the same 01-08 or so, think the 2 stroke stayed the same, 09 4 strokes went with a different and larger axels, I used the wr spacers and all right of my 04 yz I built as a enduro bike. My rear wheel came directly from my 92 yamaha wr, using its spacers it was a direct interchange, sprocket and rotor and all, I forgot on my front rim I had to shim my caliper with a fender washer about the thickness of a dime, 600 hard miles in Colorado I had zero issues with my wheel set up. So really it's a simple change over.

I too have searched and haven't found much extremely definitive.  I am currently looking at a set of 18/21 listed on CL.  The listing says they are 18/21 set (dirt star brand) for KTM bikes 450 exc, 500 exc, and 530 exc.   The advert also mentions that the front axle is 26mm.  Anyone know if these will fit my 09 DRZ SM?  Would I need to have custom spacers made?  I don't need the stock speedo hookups either if that matters.

Thank you

Edited by sbmon

If I were you, I'd wait until a set of S or E wheels come up for the right price. 

However, I am both patient and lazy  :snore:

• Like 3

If I were you, I'd wait until a set of S or E wheels come up for the right price. 

However, I am both patient and lazy  :snore:

Yeh, I agree......150ron has waited for a long time, but just got a set for $200. Unbelievable deal............ ;)

• Like 3

38super

Thank you for the clarification. I see this question come up often but no a lot of clear concise info. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent quality yet economical 18/21 setup for my SM (does not have to have oem speedo compatibility)suggestions?

Thank you

38 super, you are correct on them being the same size, had 3 bikes torn down, it was my yz that had different size axles, when you get old it's ez to get confused....lol !

All DRZ model hubs are the same regardless of wheel diameter and take the 20mm dia. axle.Rims are 36 hole hoops.Many aftermarket brands available for DRZ's also;Warp 9,SM Pro,Marchesini,etc all make Drz400 wheel kits.You can also relace the spokes of your hubs to dirt wheels and vice-versa to get what you need on the cheap if you have skills.

Edited by bumtarder