Sign in to follow this  

Making a TE510 more street friendly?

I have the opportunity to buy a used TE510. I'm returning to riding after decades and have a sense that I might be a 80 street/20 trail rider. And trails are likely to be more like fire roads than single track. I rode the 510 today and have the sense it's possibly a 80 trail/20 street bike. Are there mods I could do to make the bike better suit me? My biggest attraction to it is price. My other option is a pristine DRZ400 of similar vintage for $500 more. To be honest the DRZ feels like a better fit but I don't want to spend the money. Thanks for any comments.

The 510 is a much much better bike. 6 speed wide ratio trans

If you're planiing on using it for mainly street you will definitely want to gear it a little taller as I think the 510 has a six speed close ratio tranny. Still a much better bike than a DRZ but

more for dirt than street. Now the perfect bike for you would be a TE610 if you can find a used one. That has the wide ratio trans and can be highway ridden or trail ridden and excels at both.

06' and 07' were very good years.

I have the opportunity to buy a used TE510. I'm returning to riding after decades and have a sense that I might be a 80 street/20 trail rider. And trails are likely to be more like fire roads than single track. I rode the 510 today and have the sense it's possibly a 80 trail/20 street bike. Are there mods I could do to make the bike better suit me? My biggest attraction to it is price. My other option is a pristine DRZ400 of similar vintage for $500 more. To be honest the DRZ feels like a better fit but I don't want to spend the money. Thanks for any comments.

Gear it the same as the smr510. Make sure you install a radiator fan if the year you get doesn't have one.

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually found a different DRZ400S, an '05, for $500 less than theTE510. Brought it home two days ago. Great to be back on the road after all these years (about 30, in fact). The DRZ is geared for dirt, which I think I'll change, and might put on slightly more street friendly rubber. Or maybe I need a 2nd bike for the road. Oh, I'm on a slippery slope...