Sign in to follow this  

7/8 bar without cross brace?

Do they make such a thing? I hate the cross brace of the 7/8 in bar. If not what all needs to be changed to add the bigger 1 1/8 bar? They look much nicer but if all the controls have to be changed its definitely not worth the price

Do they make such a thing? I hate the cross brace of the 7/8 in bar. If not what all needs to be changed to add the bigger 1 1/8 bar? They look much nicer but if all the controls have to be changed its definitely not worth the price

1st, 1 1/8 bars are 7/8 on the ends so the controls don't have to be changed.

2nd, the cross bar is bolted onto most all 7/8 aluminum bars, so you can just remove it.

jmo

:thumbsup:

Also if you have a S or E model with the integral bar mounts all you need to mount up a set of fatbars(1-1/8") is a pair of adapters which bolt to the existing triple clamp.

Look for street bike bars. You can get those in 7/8" with no cross bar. Would be OK for an SM, but I would want something stronger for an S. As stated, the more popular route is fat bars and adapter clamps.

afaik the crossbrace is there for strength and you don't want to remove it

+1, I know that on Renthal's website, it indicated that they are NOT to be removed. 

• Like 1

you may have to change the mounts on bark busters from 7/8 to 1 1/8, and I'd you're going near the woods you definitely want bark busters

+1, I know that on Renthal's website, it indicated that they are NOT to be removed. 

thanks! good to have it confirmed & explicit

I know that a friend twisted is new 7/8" bars recently after a minor fall with the crossbrace off

thanks! good to have it confirmed & explicit

I know that a friend twisted is new 7/8" bars recently after a minor fall with the crossbrace off

Ouch, hopefully he/she was alright. Now I can't find it on Renthal's website.  But they do indicate that the cross bar clamp system is bonded to the bar using high shear adhesive to minimize clamp movement.  And to Kenstones comment above with it being bolted, I found that they are bolted to aluminum bars because welding would compromise the strength of the bar.  On steel bars, they can be welded. In the same article, 7/8 diameter is not strong enough without the use of a crossbar. Here is the link..

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-handlebars

• Like 1