HUB SWAP?

Hey Riders! So I have a 1997 YZ250 and I need to replace the front rim. I looked up the part numbers and compatibility for the hubs and bought one off of a 200 YZ125. Turns out it doesn't fit like many people said. Anyways, I made a quick video about my question! Basically I ask how much would a shop charge to take both hubs off and put the old hub on the new rim? And is this even possible? Then I would only have to buy a new axle and I would be set.

http://youtu.be/hsise3i8V5o

Take the brake rotor off so it doesn't get bent. Use bolt cutters or a grinder to get rid of the old spokes.

If you can re-lace the wheel yourself it'll save you some more $. It's not hard, just pay attention to how it comes apart. Put all the spokes in their own groups as you take them out. Once you get started It's easy. Just do the spokes up a few threads on each spoke. I put a bit of grease on the threads to stop them seizing up. Then take it to the bike shop to have it trued up. 

It costs me $40.00 AUD over here for that so should be less in USD's over there.

Lots of Vids on you tube on how to do it if you need help. If you don't want to do that, then yeah, cut the spokes out and just take it to the bike shop. Shouldn't cost too much. You could also pull the good wheel apart, Zip tie the spokes in their length groups with the nipples on the ends.

Why would you need a new axle if you're going to be using the original hub?

Edited by AddictedToBling

Use bolt cutters or a grinder to get rid of the old spokes.

If you can re-lace the wheel yourself it'll save you some more $. It's not hard, just pay attention to how it comes apart. Put all the spokes in their own groups as you take them out. Once you get started It's easy. Just do the spokes up a few threads on each spoke. I put a bit of grease on the threads to stop them seizing up. Then take it to the bike shop to have it trued up. It costs me $40.00 over here for that.

Lots of Vids on how to do it if you need help. If you don't want to do that,then yeah, cut the spokes out and just take it to the bike shop. Shouldn't cost too much. You could also pull the good wheel apart, Zip tie the spokes in their length groups with the nipples on the ends.

Ok Thank you for the help! Do you recommend a correct spoke wrench? Or just a pair of pliers to take off the spokes?

Ok Thank you for the help! Do you recommend a correct spoke wrench? Or just a pair of pliers to take off the spokes?

You'll need to remove the tire on the good wheel. Have a look at the Inside of the rim/wheel. Take the rubber spoke liner out. You should be able to undo the spokes from the Inside using screw driver. It's normally faster that way. 

Might pay to pull the good wheel apart first. If you have seized spokes you might need spare spokes from the old wheel. 

If you want it to look Bling when it's back together. Clean all the spokes with SOS pads and give them a polish while It's apart. Bit of Autosoul (spelling?) metal polish and a rag is all you'll need.

Might pay to pull the good wheel apart first. If you have seized spokes you might need spare spokes from the old wheel. 

If you want it to look Bling when it's back together. Clean all the spokes with SOS pads and give them a polish while It's apart. Bit of Autosoul (spelling?) metal polish and a rag is all you'll need.

Should I invest in some Tire Irons or just have a shop do it?

Should I invest in some Tire Irons or just have a shop do it?

Up to you. I would just take it to the bike shop. But I'm a bit lazy like that.

Up to you. I would just take it to the bike shop. But I'm a bit lazy like that.

I am as well but I'm a bit poor right now lol

I am as well but I'm a bit poor right now lol

Removing the rear tire won't add a lot to the expense.

If you remove the tire yourself. If possible. Leave it in the sun for a while first  ;)

Removing the rear tire won't add a lot to the expense.

If you remove the tire yourself. If possible. Leave it in the sun for a while first  ;)

It's the front tire

It's the front tire

:facepalm: . Same thing  :lol: .

Parker, if we are talking about the bike in your Garage picture, that is a 1993-1995 YZ or a 1994-1997 WR, which is a continuation of the 1995 series of bikes -- either way, it is definitely not a 1996 or newer YZ. So be careful when ordering parts, as many things (like the front wheel) changed when Yamaha went to the next generation of bikes.

Good luck!

Parker, if we are talking about the bike in your Garage picture, that is a 1993-1995 YZ or a 1994-1997 WR, which is a continuation of the 1995 series of bikes -- either way, it is definitely not a 1996 or newer YZ. So be careful when ordering parts, as many things (like the front wheel) changed when Yamaha went to the next generation of bikes.

Good luck!

So the vin is wrong on the bike?

Not if it is a WR.

This is a 1997 YZ250:

http://www.onthepiperacing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=37885

This is a 1995 YZ250:

http://www.onthepiperacing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=37879

This is a 1997 WR250:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/10973124063

I think we can agree your bike looks most like the 1995 YZ or 1997 WR.

I just don't want you to purchase parts for a 1997 YZ and have them not fit your steed.

This is weird. When I got the bike and looked up the vin, it said 97. Now it is saying 1993. I checked on many free vin check sites and some say 97 and some say 93.

Good luck!

I was wondering if it might have been a WR as well.