Handgun carry on the trails

Can I carry a handgun with me when I ride the CO trails without a concealed carry permit? What's the law on this?

I can carry in my car (because it is my personal property) and was wondering if this is the same as carrying on a motorcycle? Perhaps in my backpack or rear fender/tool bag ? 

• Like 2

CO law states-

It shall not be an offense if: "A person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling."

So yes you can carry it, since your motorcycle is a private means of conveyance.  

CO law states-

It shall not be an offense if: "A person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling."

So yes you can carry it, since your motorcycle is a private means of conveyance.  

Thank you very much !

Did some more research on this. Also called the Gunnison Sherrif's office and the Crested Butte Police station. The recommendation is as follows:

If it is on YOU (in your back-pack, moon bag, etc) it should rather be worn open carry as this (in a bag) is considered "concealed"

However, you can put it in your fender bag as this is on your motorcycle which is your property.

It wasn't very clear-cut, but the above was a general consensus. However, there was the idea also that "nobody would know"

Edited by TukTuk

Not a legal opinion, but this has been discussed with no clear answers for cars as well. While on or in the vehicle it is a conveyance, but when you get off or out of the car, it's now potentially a concealed carry without a permit. Depends on which Leo you run into and what you did to piss them off.

Open carry addresses this or carry in a pack on the bike. Or get a ccw.

Edited by slotracer577

Feel free to do what you feel is appropriate based on what you learned from the Sheriff and the police, but having offroaded in Colorado for the last 41 years, I don't think it is very likely at all that you will need a gun while riding (it is probably a lot easier leaving it in your locked vehicle).

While I am sure there are criminals everywhere there are people, the opportunities for crime are much higher in the larger cities.  Criminals or people with bad intent usually don't travel 4-5 hours out to the boonies to rape, rob or kill people (reasons in my mind why you might need gun).   And a number of people out in rural areas are known to be armed and knowledgeable about guns/rifles.

My comments may solicit a whole range of stories about needing one while riding and perhaps I have just been lucky here in Colorado while offroading.  In 1991, living in City and County of Denver, I wasn't so lucky when I was carjacked and kidnapped at gunpoint when I did happen to encounter a criminal in my driveway so I feel that I do understand the need for personal protection. 

Edited by SilvFx

My only real concern is being stranded at night and becoming a bear's midnight treat.

That's exactly why I carry when riding. I'm not worried about getting jacked or robbed but if I crash or break down I want to know a night or so in the woods I can protect myself. I see bears regularly when I ride, winter is the exception to that. Also I don't carry loaded, I really see no need in that on the trails plus having a little powder on you to start a fire is always helpful. 

I see more bears, and elk for that matter, riding my bike than I do when I'm out hunting and trying to be all quiet and stealthy.  I've actually run into both bear and elk standing in the middle of the trail waiting to see what I am.  Once they see me and their curiousity is satisfied most of the time they just walk away and aren't even spooked.  

• Like 1

I ride lots of trails and have never had the need for a firearm but to each their own I suppose.  As far as bears, since they are black bears they aren't really that aggressive.  Heck I live in Estes Park and have walked outside in the dark and nearly tripped over a bear and didn't need a firearm to scare it off.  My suggestion would be to call the ranger district your going to be riding in and ask them. 

I am another who has spent the past 15 years in the Colorado mountains climbing, mountain biking and more recently dirt biking and have never felt the need for a gun. It seems like weight for no purpose to me. The black bears in Colorado are scared of a loud noise and nothing like the habituated bears of the Sierra Nevada or the straight up scary grizzlies that are everywhere in Alaska.

I carry a gun in my backpack, unloaded and with a trigger lock, in a soft case with a lock on that.  Since I carry a wheel gun, ammo is in a speed loader carried in separate pocket.  This is a normal procedure for carrying in passenger compartment of a car in states without open carry legal.  Most call for the gun to be "locked" but don't specify how.  Even in many rural areas there are game laws that were put in place so people don't hunt from a moving vehicle.  This locking method ensures that you are in compliance in those situations also. 

It isn't a great answer for self-protection in a hurry, but if you primary purpose is protect yourself when you stop for the night it can be workable.  Once stopped, you can then prepare for open carry now that you are off the vehicle.

I have my CCW. I carry regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. Including riding. I like the old adage, I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need an gun and not have it. I HIGHLY doubt I'll ever need my gun while riding, but. 

I also carry because of the two legged critters rather than the four legged ones. But it works on both. Honestly, if your reasons for carrying on the trail are bears or similar, you'd be better off with bear spray. 

I carry a small LCP in a pocket holster in my camelback. Not much weight or space needed. Just another tool in my mind. Just like my KTM tool kit, which weighs more and takes up more space. I don't intend to use either but I sure like having the tool I need when needed.

• Like 1