Sign in to follow this  

Valve stems and tubes

I ride a CRF250X. I've never changed a tube, so need someone to explain to me what a valve stem is.

My bike has tubes with valve stems.I ordered a spare tube and valve stems for my bike and this just has a valve on it.

Now I'm confused. Did I order the wrong tube?

How do I add the valve stem to a tube and how does this work..?

I ride a CRF250X. I've never changed a tube, so need someone to explain to me what a valve stem is.

My bike has tubes with valve stems.I ordered a spare tube and valve stems for my bike and this just has a valve on it.

Now I'm confused. Did I order the wrong tube?

How do I add the valve stem to a tube and how does this work..?

The valve is the valve stem. Valve/Valve stem. Same thing ;) . Well, actually, the actual valve is inside the valve stem.

Bet the bloke you ordered the "Valve stems" from must have been even more confused than you   :lol: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

The valve is the valve stem. Valve/Valve stem. Same thing ;) . Well, actually, the actual valve is inside the valve stem.

Bet the bloke you ordered the "Valve stems" from must have been even more confused than you   :lol: .

Thanks, but the valve in the tube is long and silver/metal.

The one on my bike is short, fat and plastic black, like the valve stems I purchased. I was told to take extra valve stems in case the valve broke out.

The one on my bike is short, fat and plastic black, like the valve stems I purchased. I was told to take extra valve stems in case the valve broke out.

You've lost me. 

• Like 1

Lol.

Sorry but that was pretty funny.

To put it simple- buy a tube and your done. Just the tube. It has everything attached to it that you will need including the valve & stems.

Youve just been informed wrong or are over thinking this. I suggest you take your tires to a local shop to be changed because if your confused about a tube then your probly gonna wanna kill yourself learning how to take the tires on and off.

• Like 1

You can't reuse a tube that the valve stem broke off of. Maybe you should take your wheels to a shop and have them change the tires for you...

No no, we all had our time with bloody knuckles and chipped off fingernails while learning to change tires!! 

Join the crowd, Tuk Tuk!!  Tires are a pain, but a necessary evil if you want to ride.  Watch a few basic tire changing tutorials online to give yourself some ideas. 

No no, we all had our time with bloody knuckles and chipped off fingernails while learning to change tires!! 

Join the crowd, Tuk Tuk!!  Tires are a pain, but a necessary evil if you want to ride.  Watch a few basic tire changing tutorials online to give yourself some ideas. 

I rode for 35yrs without ever changing a tire. The bike shop always did it for free so why bother  :devil: . They won't fit tires with Tu-Bliss kits  :cry: .

Like mowing the lawns, even if you don't want to do it you always feel good and have a sense of accomplishing something once you're done  :lol: .

• Like 2

Lol, you need to post some pictures of all this. There is no such thing as a "short, fat, black plastic" valve stem, they're all metal. I'm seriously curious as to what you're referring to here.  :confused:

After a moments thought and noticing you're riding a Honda.. Is this what you're referring to as "valve stems".. http://www.motosport.com/product?psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252Faclk%253Fsa%253Dl%2526ai%253DCeR_137HIVby_FsuwfKf8jdgMgamT6wa5p_GH8AGRpo3urgIIBhABYMmeiIqYpLAToAGRorT9A8gBB6oEJ0_QQaobZNZDyIp91Htjs9zHfVdlkZGO8tg8yb0iPj2_dg1zp7rpuMAFBaAGJoAH193LApAHAagHosIbqAemvhvYBwHgEoidy6Px3JDdEg%2526sig%253DAOD64_2rO6bzvo8zbdxtHRUkLWuwEF3XSw%2526ctype%253D5%2526clui%253D5%2526rct%253Dj%2526q%253D%2526ved%253D0CG8Q9A5qFQoTCN__9uDZnscCFQSPDQod0S4LHg%2526adurl%253Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rkdms.com%252Fredirect%25253Fc%25253D1409983581%252526en%25253D27%252526cl%25253D500%252526u%25253Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.motosport.com%252Fad%252F%2525253Fcode%2525253DSS-M-G-P-NA-PLA-DIRT%25252526key%2525253DSunline-Valve-Stem-Support-Seal%25252526adpos%2525253D1o1%25252526creative%2525253D64385813905%25252526device%2525253Dc%25252526matchtype%2525253D%25252526network%2525253Dg&pssource=true&segment=badger&key=Sunline-Valve-Stem-Support-Seal&adpos=1o1&creative=64385813905&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJDl1OfZnscCFRCEaQode0IEIw

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1

I have changed my boys tires/tubes on their CRF's countless times, so I know how to do this albeit not my favorite task.

I have never changed one on my bike and after some posts about repairing/changing tubes on the trail and getting some spare tubes to take, I noticed the valves were different hence the post. I looked closer today because obviously there was something I was missing; as per OLHILBILLY my bike has rubber valve stem supports which look like the same rubber valve stems I bought - https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/19762/Myers-TR-412-Rubber-Valve-Stems?term=valve%20stem

I bought these valve stems following a post on this forum somewhere that said to take an extra one in case the valve stem rips out. That added to the confusion.

Thanks for everyone's feedback to clear up this misunderstanding. That's the reason for these forums - to learn.

• Like 1

I have changed my boys tires/tubes on their CRF's countless times, so I know how to do this albeit not my favorite task.

I have never changed one on my bike and after some posts about repairing/changing tubes on the trail and getting some spare tubes to take, I noticed the valves were different hence the post. I looked closer today because obviously there was something I was missing; as per OLHILBILLY my bike has rubber valve stem supports which look like the same rubber valve stems I bought - https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/19762/Myers-TR-412-Rubber-Valve-Stems?term=valve%20stem

I bought these valve stems following a post on this forum somewhere that said to take an extra one in case the valve stem rips out. That added to the confusion.

Thanks for everyone's feedback to clear up this misunderstanding. That's the reason for these forums - to learn.

Ya. Those are for ATV's which are mostly tubeless. I had a feeling they were what you were talking about  ;) . Just couldn't work out why you'd want them for a bike  :lol: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

The 

I think you are referring to the rim-lock (fat and plastic black). When installed it looks much like a valve stem. The rim-lock(s) don't always need replacement when changing tubes and tires, but now that you have one... :thumbsup:

Going to YouTube is the best advice you've been given. Tire changing is a ball-buster for me no-matter how many videos I watch. They always make it look easier than it truly is  :foul:

Take your time and don't get frustrated. There is most definitely a learning curve, but you will get the hang of it. Having the right tools is a definite help...3 tire spoons, baby powder, windex, an old car tire (makes a great tire-changing station). Changing a tube and tire is essential knowledge if you plan to ride!

I bought a tube that had a rubber stem. Granted, it was steel under the rubber, but I didn't open the box till I needed it.

It sucked! I couldn't use a rubber support and because it wasn't threaded beyond the valve cap it didn't stick up very far and was always crooked.