Sign in to follow this  

I Rode A 300 Kit THis Past Saturday

I was at Rio Bravo this past Saturday for open practice.  There were quite a few Vet riders there, and I was talking to one of them I know casually.  He has a 2013 250sx  that he installed the 300 hundred kit on.  He also said he had the carburetor taper bored, and did something to the exhaust valve, but don't recall exactly, a flywheel weight.  He also said he runs a tall gear, but don't know what tooth it was.

He knows I race a lot, and wanted me to take it for a test.  First thing I noticed, was very little engine vibration.  Bike was very tall with bar risers, lowered pegs, tall seat, longer shifter and sprung for his weight (250#), I'm 150 and it was rigid.  I cruised it easy for a couple of laps, then begin to step it up.  When I would roll on the throttle, it felt more like a 4-stroke than my quick crisp 250.  There was no hit, just long a long hard pull against the tall gear, and a corner would sneak up on you quickly.  I never really got it up to race speed, as I was not comfortable on the bike.  The cockpit was setup for a big fellow but overall it had a little more grunt than my Sx. 

Nothing wrong with the mod, but don't think it is for me.  Maybe if it was on my bike, I would think otherwise.

Oh, and the bike was beautiful.  It had every orange bling, cap, cover, lever, nipple, with seat scheme and plastic to match. 

Is there any longevity issue with these kits?

A kitted 250 (to 300) should last just as long as a normal 300 because that's the only difference between the two. 

Your sig implies that you have two 250SX's, convert one and you'll forget about the other ...   :thumbsup:

A kitted 250 (to 300) should last just as long as a normal 300 because that's the only difference between the two. 

Your sig implies that you have two 250SX's, convert one and you'll forget about the other ...   :thumbsup:

Yes, I do; and in keeping with my "new bike every year or so" decision, I'm getting ready to purchase a 16sx.

Hmmmmm  :ride:

I was at Rio Bravo this past Saturday for open practice.  There were quite a few Vet riders there, and I was talking to one of them I know casually.  He has a 2013 250sx  that he installed the 300 hundred kit on.  He also said he had the carburetor taper bored, and did something to the exhaust valve, but don't recall exactly, a flywheel weight.  He also said he runs a tall gear, but don't know what tooth it was.

He knows I race a lot, and wanted me to take it for a test.  First thing I noticed, was very little engine vibration.  Bike was very tall with bar risers, lowered pegs, tall seat, longer shifter and sprung for his weight (250#), I'm 150 and it was rigid.  I cruised it easy for a couple of laps, then begin to step it up.  When I would roll on the throttle, it felt more like a 4-stroke than my quick crisp 250.  There was no hit, just long a long hard pull against the tall gear, and a corner would sneak up on you quickly.  I never really got it up to race speed, as I was not comfortable on the bike.  The cockpit was setup for a big fellow but overall it had a little more grunt than my Sx. 

Nothing wrong with the mod, but don't think it is for me.  Maybe if it was on my bike, I would think otherwise.

Oh, and the bike was beautiful.  It had every orange bling, cap, cover, lever, nipple, with seat scheme and plastic to match. 

Is there any longevity issue with these kits?

From having other guys ride my 300SX, they say the same thing (I'm 225lbs) its just too stiff for them. However, a few of those guys now all of sudden have 300 kits on their 250s. 

I kept stock gearing, ported and head set-up, 38mm carb and no flywheel weight on mine. It's a beast. Since you have a second, its a no-brainer to try it out. 

Yes, I do; and in keeping with my "new bike every year or so" decision, I'm getting ready to purchase a 16sx.

Hmmmmm  :ride:

Your a lucky man!  With big changes on the horizon for the 2t, and the fact that you already have some fairly new bikes, I'd go with a thumper or wait for the 2017 models.  At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Your a lucky man!  With big changes on the horizon for the 2t, and the fact that you already have some fairly new bikes, I'd go with a thumper or wait for the 2017 models.  At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Started riding in 03 on Hondas.  I'd keep them so long that I was constantly rebuilding one of them just to ride/race weekly.  At one point I had 3 450's, 125 and 250 2-stroke.  In 2012 I decided I was going to go 2-stroke only, but Honda had thrown in the towel with 2-strokes.  I had seen KTM's at the track, but didn't like the name or color.  Plus working on European and Japanese vehicles for a living, I wanted nothing to do with a European bike if they were problematic as the Euro cars.  I had a friend that had a 2012 250SX, and he let me take it for a spin.  I was impressed with the ergos and fairly brutal power; but especially the front brakes and hydraulic clutch.  That  also when I decided to get a new bike every year.  I figured it's more economical and safer.  It's so late in the year, that I'm going to skip getting a 15, and pick up a 16.  But I'm going to stay with 2-strokes.  For me, they are fun, light weight and a busy cockpit.  They are an absolute blast to launch in 3rd gear out of the gate, and wait just a bit longer to brake than the overgrown pit bikes, and dive into a corner.  Both my 250's have been trouble free and tougher than a $ 2.00 steak. 

I heard/read rumors of a D.I. or F.I. 2-stroke in the near future. 

I may wait until 17 for another smoker, but have no interest in a thumper at this point.

• Like 1

Started riding in 03 on Hondas.  I'd keep them so long that I was constantly rebuilding one of them just to ride/race weekly.  At one point I had 3 450's, 125 and 250 2-stroke.  In 2012 I decided I was going to go 2-stroke only, but Honda had thrown in the towel with 2-strokes.  I had seen KTM's at the track, but didn't like the name or color.  Plus working on European and Japanese vehicles for a living, I wanted nothing to do with a European bike if they were problematic as the Euro cars.  I had a friend that had a 2012 250SX, and he let me take it for a spin.  I was impressed with the ergos and fairly brutal power; but especially the front brakes and hydraulic clutch.  That  also when I decided to get a new bike every year.  I figured it's more economical and safer.  It's so late in the year, that I'm going to skip getting a 15, and pick up a 16.  But I'm going to stay with 2-strokes.  For me, they are fun, light weight and a busy cockpit.  They are an absolute blast to launch in 3rd gear out of the gate, and wait just a bit longer to brake than the overgrown pit bikes, and dive into a corner.  Both my 250's have been trouble free and tougher than a $ 2.00 steak. 

I heard/read rumors of a D.I. or F.I. 2-stroke in the near future. 

I may wait until 17 for another smoker, but have no interest in a thumper at this point.

For now a Direct and/or Electronic fuel injected 2 stroke in the near future isn't going to happen.  All of the prototype bike pic's posted are carb'd, but the bigger bikes (200, 250 and 300) appear to have the same stacked transmission as the 125 / 150SX models.  So, have you ever considered a 150SX? 

For now a Direct and/or Electronic fuel injected 2 stroke in the near future isn't going to happen.  All of the prototype bike pic's posted are carb'd, but the bigger bikes (200, 250 and 300) appear to have the same stacked transmission as the 125 / 150SX models.  So, have you ever considered a 150SX? 

Yes I have!

I actually had planned on buying a 16 250 and a 150.

I absolutely love a small bore 2-stroke.

The thumpers may take me on the start, but they'll eventually hear me knawing at their boot. 

My first bike was an 03 CR125.  I bored it 5mill and used a Suzuki piston.  The Suzuki piston had a lower wrist pin location which helped clean up the port timing.  I stepped cut the head to compensate and installed a P.S.I. big bore carb.  It had a hard, short lived hit and you had to be quick with a shift, but it was a fun bike to ride.

I think KTM makes a 200, but not sure it's a race bike or off road bike.