Thinking of ditching dirt bikes and riding trials.

Hey guys, so i was thinking of ditching dirt bikes, by selling my tc250 husqvarna and riding trials. It really intrigues me and ever since i found out about it I've wanted to do it. I just have a couple of questions. What are some brands to look out for/avoid in the trials world and are trials bike self mixing, or do you need to mix up your own petrol/oil mixture. Also, anyone else here done the same as i plan on doing? Things you regret/don't regret. I was thinking of saving up separate money and buying a kdx200 for when my mates go out camping or something so i can actually keep up with them :D

Hey guys, so i was thinking of ditching dirt bikes, by selling my tc250 husqvarna and riding trials. It really intrigues me and ever since i found out about it I've wanted to do it. I just have a couple of questions. What are some brands to look out for/avoid in the trials world and are trials bike self mixing, or do you need to mix up your own petrol/oil mixture. Also, anyone else here done the same as i plan on doing? Things you regret/don't regret. I was thinking of saving up separate money and buying a kdx200 for when my mates go out camping or something so i can actually keep up with them :D

Reason everyone is getting trials bikes is because it compliments their off road riding so much. You'll want to test your new found skills off road on a decent bike. You need both. "Variety is the spice of life"  ;) . 

Should be able to pick a good 2nd hand one up for around 3K

Edited by AddictedToBling

Reason everyone is getting trials bikes is because it compliments their off road riding so much. You'll want to test your new found skills off road on a decent bike. You need both. "Variety is the spice of life" ;) .

Should be able to pick a good 2nd hand one up for around 3K

yea but I will need to sell my current dirt bike for a decent trials bike :) And then I'll buy a kdx200 with the money I get from mowing lawns for when my friends go out camping so I have a fast bike and can keep up

yea but I will need to sell my current dirt bike for a decent trials bike :) And then I'll buy a kdx200 with the money I get from mowing lawns for when my friends go out camping so I have a fast bike and can keep up

Sorry, didn't realize you were that young. 

I got bored pretty quickly riding by myself on mine. Now that all my mates have one I'm keen again but no way I'd sacrifice my off road bike for one. If you can save for a KDX200 later, you can save for a trials bike now.

If I do get another one I'll be getting a Beta.

Sorry, didn't realize you were that young. 

I got bored pretty quickly riding by myself on mine. Now that all my mates have one I'm keen again but no way I'd sacrifice my off road bike for one. If you can save for a KDX200 later, you can save for a trials bike now.

If I do get another one I'll be getting a Beta.

Fair enough, i've been looking at a GasGas, Sherco and Beta. In what order would you put them and why? I do care a little bit about ditching my dirt bike, but all my 'friends' just bully me because i'm not the best at hitting jumps, hill climbs and don't ride too fast (i'm a very cautious rider) so i don't really care because if i had a trials bike i could ride on my own on my land, as i have heaps of bush, but it'd be hard on a big bike. I guess i'd get the KDX for when i want to go to a fast flowing trail or something. 

Fair enough, i've been looking at a GasGas, Sherco and Beta. In what order would you put them and why? I do care a little bit about ditching my dirt bike, but all my 'friends' just bully me because i'm not the best at hitting jumps, hill climbs and don't ride too fast (i'm a very cautious rider) so i don't really care because if i had a trials bike i could ride on my own on my land, as i have heaps of bush, but it'd be hard on a big bike. I guess i'd get the KDX for when i want to go to a fast flowing trail or something. 

I don't know enough about them to give an opinion. I just like Beta. I had an Italjet when I last had a trials bike.

Funny you mention this.  My son and I were just talking about this yesterday.  My wife would probably be much happier if I rode around on a trials bike at 2 mph rather than hauling ass on trails.  But I'm 60 years old. ;)

BTW, GasGas is OOB as of March.

Funny you mention this. My son and I were just talking about this yesterday. My wife would probably be much happier if I rode around on a trials bike at 2 mph rather than hauling ass on trails. But I'm 60 years old. ;)

BTW, GasGas is OOB as of March.

What does OOB mean?

What does OOB mean?

Out Of Business.

Out Of Business.

What does OOB mean?

WAIT!? So GasGas is closing down!? Why?!?

I've ridden older trials bikes and was really into the sport back in the early 80's (yes I'm old) but nothing close to newer bikes. We have a pretty large trials community and quite a few areas in my town and a local Beta dealer so if it was me I would looked at picking up a used Beta cus it's nice to have a local shop that knows the bike.

Anyway, I would have hard time time just going with JUST a trails bike cus I like to go fast and it's nice to have the right tool for the job.

Have you seen this thread with LOTS of good videos from your fellow countryman.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1077985-cross-training-enduro-dirt-bike-techniques-vids-tutorials/

Or this one. Starting from page 10 on

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1087732-bcs-toughest-extreme-single-track-riding-area/page-10

Had no Idea until i saw the post. I just worked out what OOB meant  :lol:

Bankrupt in March, all production ceased.  KTM thought about buying them and decided not to.

I recommend you give it a try.  At my local club, it's totally geared towards competitive events.  There are something like a dozen competitions a year including a copule of two-day events.  It's not really the same thing just putting around pretending to ride sections.  The first event will be a major learning lesson.  Like punching a 5 because you didn't clear the finish ribbons.  I did that exactly one time.  Ha, ha.

It's a lot of fun.

I've ridden older trials bikes and was really into the sport back in the early 80's (yes I'm old) but nothing close to newer bikes. We have a pretty large trials community and quite a few areas in my town and a local Beta dealer so if it was me I would looked at picking up a used Beta cus it's nice to have a local shop that knows the bike.

Anyway, I would have hard time time just going with JUST a trails bike cus I like to go fast and it's nice to have the right tool for the job.

Have you seen this thread with LOTS of good videos from your fellow countryman.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1077985-cross-training-enduro-dirt-bike-techniques-vids-tutorials/

Or this one. Starting from page 10 on

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1087732-bcs-toughest-extreme-single-track-riding-area/page-10

yes, that's why I was thinking of saving for a KDX200 once I get the trials bike :D

And get on a mountain bike cus the more 2 wheel options you can try will IMO make you a better overall rider

And get on a mountain bike cus the more 2 wheel options you can try will IMO make you a better overall rider

Mountain biking is great training for dirt biking.  On Friday my youngest son just bought a $3500 Specialized. :jawdrop:   When he pulled up out front of our house with his and his girlfriend's bikes in the bed of the truck I said I really wanted to see his $3500 bicycle.  He told me to "Shh", when I'm around his girlfriend its a $800 bike! :lol:

Mountain biking is great training for dirt biking.  On Friday my youngest son just bought a $3500 Specialized. :jawdrop:   When he pulled up out front of our house with his and his girlfriend's bikes in the bed of the truck I said I really wanted to see his $3500 bicycle.  He told me to "Shh", when I'm around his girlfriend its a $800 bike! :lol:

Soft!

Why limit yourself. Gotta be the ultimate cross training for balance  :lol:

Dude - I saw a guy yesterday on one of these riding down the road in my town but it looks like you need a good seat and regardless slightly painful even with one

We have a HUGE mountain biking community but I gave this up cus I like to go uphill and hate peddling

https://www.google.ca/search?q=whistler+downhill+mountain+bike+park&biw=1140&bih=619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIroOnt8afxwIVFTKICh21bQk8

https://www.google.ca/search?q=whistler+downhill+mountain+bike+park&biw=1140&bih=619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIroOnt8afxwIVFTKICh21bQk8#tbm=isch&q=squamish+downhill+mountain+biking

One of the 6 guys I ride with got a trials bike last year (new gasgas) and talked one of the others in our group into getting one (used gasgas).  They seemed to be having fun, but rode alone most the time last year since there was only the two of them and scheduals didn't blend too good. They kept their KTM 2T's and go trail riding with us more this year.  I think they have only done trials 3 times this year.  I wonder if it was a fad for them...

I was thinking about getting one because I have a freeride mtn bike background, but the whole "no seat" thing seems like a deal breaker for me.  I want to sit between stunts.

There is a group of trials riders I know on the east side of the state that go to all the trials events and have a blast.  They don't trail ride with us at all.  They really like to just go to a place and take turns doing a log or someting while the rest stop and watch.

The stopping and watching part would be hard for me.  I would want to be on the move or doing a stunt all the time.

I hope you don't sell out of dirt bikes!