2016 KTM 350 SXF Shock Spring

Has anybody already tried different spring rates on the shock of his 2016 KTM? I have a 2016 KTM 350 sxf (Euro version) that uses a 4.5 N/m spring on the shock. Usually I used to have a stronger shock spring because my weight of approximately 198 lbs completely geared up. (6.0 N/m on my 2013 sxf 350)

Since the shock and the linkage are completely new on the 2016 bikes they use softer springs. In front I have the Airfork where I can adjust the pressure, but at the shock I am not sure if I need a stronger spring. The Euro version uses a 4.5 N/m stock whereas the US version have a 4.8 N/m. Does anyone know what the differences are from the Euro to US version. I can't find any part list and you also get no spare part manual to the 2016 bikes, just the user manual. All other stuff should be online (http://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com) but not yet...

I am not sure If I should by a new stronger shock spring and if I should then take the 4.8 N/m or go stiffer.

Can't find any reviews for the suspension and also Motocross Action Magazine don't recommend any weight suggestions in their 2016 450 sxf review from the actual magazine.

IMG_0807.jpg

Has anybody already tried different spring rates on the shock of his 2016 KTM? I have a 2016 KTM 350 sxf (Euro version) that uses a 4.5 N/m spring on the shock. Usually I used to have a stronger shock spring because my weight of approximately 198 lbs completely geared up. (6.0 N/m on my 2013 sxf 350)

Since the shock and the linkage are completely new on the 2016 bikes they use softer springs. In front I have the Airfork where I can adjust the pressure, but at the shock I am not sure if I need a stronger spring. The Euro version uses a 4.5 N/m stock whereas the US version have a 4.8 N/m. Does anyone know what the differences are from the Euro to US version. I can't find any part list and you also get no spare part manual to the 2016 bikes, just the user manual. All other stuff should be online (http://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com) but not yet...

I am not sure If I should by a new stronger shock spring and if I should then take the 4.8 N/m or go stiffer.

Can't find any reviews for the suspension and also Motocross Action Magazine don't recommend any weight suggestions in their 2016 450 sxf review from the actual magazine.

I've just replaced my rear shock spring on my 2016 350 as it was far too soft. I've gone from a 45 to a 48. I weigh around 210 and the new spring is fantastic. The stock 45 spring was giving me a riding sag measurement of 61mm instead of 110mm. Changed it on Friday, raced on the new spring Saturday and yesterday. I highly recommend changing at your weight. The ride is so much better. I didn't have time to wait for KTM to send me out a new spring so I used a company called K-Tech in the UK. They're world renowned for top rate suspension. They sent it out next day delivery. Plus it was cheaper than KTM's. Put 5mm of pre-load on it and you're good to go

Do you know what the shock differences are from the US to Euro version because the Euro version uses different spring rates. So I am not sure if I should then go one step stiffer to a 48 N/m what ist the stock version on the US bikes or even further.

You'll probably find that the reason behind the different spring rates is the different WP suspension on the EU and U.S. bikes. It'll all be down to balancing the bikes correctly. For instance, if you added an aftermarket set of forks to the bike then you'd more than likely have to change the rear spring

Edited by Steve_Kay

It seems if you try to keep the back end up with compression dampening it gets harsh on square edge and breaking bumps .  For sure the balance real game plan , when the back end is soft it's harder to keep the front end hooked up driving out of a turn ,

PALIKUL, how do you like the air forks?  You're the first person i've seen on here with them.  The US should be getting them for the 2017 model year so any info would be great.

Motonack, I have the EU 16 350 with the air forks. They're fantastic. You can adjust the air fork for different weights of riders or comfort etc without having to have it revavled. You simply adjust the air pressure using an air pump. Very good idea in my opinion. Not sure if you're aware but not both of the forks are air. The left shock is the compression which is now air and the right fork is the oil-filled rebound. I don't know the exact ins and outs of how they work but I raced on the bike Saturday and after changing the rear spring to a 48n/mm, the whole setup was almost perfect (for me). Not sure why the U.S. are having to wait until 17 for the new forks but I can assure you they're worth the wait.

I think the rates are the same but the valving is way different

Like in the manual the US have 4.8 N/m and EU 4.5 N/m shock springs

@motonack – The fork/shock isn't broken in completely since I have only 2 hours on the bike but what I can tell you I really like the fork so far. It seems also that the fork is very sensitive in smaller bumps and also not as harsh through the stroke as my last fork of my 2013 350 sxf. I think that he also doesn't dive as much in the corners. You could also see the stiffness when you tie down the bike in the transporter with the fork support because it barely touches it ? . But on the track it feels amazing and in no way to stiff or harsh.

Like in the manual the US have 4.8 N/m and EU 4.5 N/m shock springs.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the differences with the EU and U.S. bikes. While they are mostly subtle differences, they're different for a reason. As I mentioned earlier, if you find that your rear shock spring is too soft or the bike gets all unsettled on landing (as mine did) then I highly recommend changing your spring. My bike is fantastic now, simply from changing up to a 48

Yes, I am just a little confused if I should go stiffer than a 4.8 N/m because also at your weight the manual would recommend a 5.0 N/m shock spring for the US bike and in general the spring is just there to carry the weight of you combined with the bike to get the right sag and for that the US and EU bike is quite identical. Except the shock has a completely different interior setting but I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...