New CRF 250L questions?

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum (hello) and am just about to collect a new CRF 250L in Thailand.  I,ve done a fair of searching but have been finding some contradicting info out their and some dated too, so sorry if i'm asking the same old question over again.

I plan to use on and off road so am looking to mean down a little but not too much, probably a 42 rear, i'm not bothered about the error with the speedo but i am not too keen with the miles / KM reading being far more than the actual and would like to know if their is a cheap fix for this?  not looking to spend on the plug in bit as i'm now skint after buying out right.

Also i would like to get a bit more out the motor but again can;t spend too much so was planning to remove the air filter /back fire mesh and maybe drill a few more small holes in the top of the air box.

Will disconnecting the O2 sensor help to keep the motor running a little cooler on low to mid rage with a fraction more juice?  or is it best to just leave it?

I'm planing to fir a EJK jet kit at a later stage but not for a few months yet.

Are their any mods that can be done to the exhaust system to free up the gas and save some weight, i'm under the impression that they don;t have a spark arrester here in Thailand. Weight saving is higher up my list than all out power.  Any tips will be most welcome :-)

Many thanks Damian.

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum (hello) and am just about to collect a new CRF 250L in Thailand.  I,ve done a fair of searching but have been finding some contradicting info out their and some dated too, so sorry if i'm asking the same old question over again.

I plan to use on and off road so am looking to mean down a little but not too much, probably a 42 rear, i'm not bothered about the error with the speedo but i am not too keen with the miles / KM reading being far more than the actual and would like to know if their is a cheap fix for this?  not looking to spend on the plug in bit as i'm now skint after buying out right.

Also i would like to get a bit more out the motor but again can;t spend too much so was planning to remove the air filter /back fire mesh and maybe drill a few more small holes in the top of the air box.

Will disconnecting the O2 sensor help to keep the motor running a little cooler on low to mid rage with a fraction more juice?  or is it best to just leave it?

I'm planing to fir a EJK jet kit at a later stage but not for a few months yet.

Are their any mods that can be done to the exhaust system to free up the gas and save some weight, i'm under the impression that they don;t have a spark arrester here in Thailand. Weight saving is higher up my list than all out power.  Any tips will be most welcome :-)

Many thanks Damian.

Hi Damian - i've sent you a PM....

Ride out 9 aug 2015 041.jpg

1. Personally I wouldn't bother with a 42 rear alone - its too inconsequential and hence a waste of cash. I've dropped to a 13 front as it will equate to a 43 rear. But you could increase to a 43 or greater rear. I find it easier to change the front sprocket than the rear sprocket when out riding.

2. Personally I wouldn't drill into the top of the airbox. It's more effort and expense to replace the airbox than the airbox side panel. I've drilled 6x25mm holes in my side panel and plugged them with matching filter plugs. Alternatively you could remove the snorkel for a little more air. Many have also removed the backfire screen, and fitted a K&N or unifilter filter.

3. The stock exhaust is heavy. You can mod it to improve the sound, but there's little you can do to significantly improve performance or reduce weight, unless you replace the stock header which is the primary cause of exhaust gas restriction, and change the end can for a lighter unit.

4. Many will argue, and I'm in agreement, that opening up the airbox and exhaust is a potential problem unless you can adjust the richness of the fuel/air mixture. You risk reliability if the mods make the engine even more lean. Removal of the O2 sensor will not make sufficient adjustment and so the exhaust/airbox mods should wait until you can afford an EJK type device.

• Like 2

D- there is tons of stuff here at TT, have to go in stages to get to your final end

Wise investment in certain parts yield great results.

We are somewhat lucky being in Thai but yet I have found most stuff I get is from Ebay abroad

We can get 13t sprockets here pretty cheap, my exhaust from Nan, I think,  is the best for the money, and any of the other stuff from this area(including all Honda parts) are cheaper.

Find out what you really want to do then start searching-PM me if u have a Q

• Like 1

D- there is tons of stuff here at TT, have to go in stages to get to your final end

Wise investment in certain parts yield great results.

We are somewhat lucky being in Thai but yet I have found most stuff I get is from Ebay abroad

We can get 13t sprockets here pretty cheap, my exhaust from Nan, I think,  is the best for the money, and any of the other stuff from this area(including all Honda parts) are cheaper.

Find out what you really want to do then start searching-PM me if u have a Q

+10,000 ....  ?

13 tooth sprocket has got to be the cheapest and easiest mod to get an instant 'notice the difference' feeling.

As someone said above, DON'T mod your airbox before you get the EJK.

Next to make a difference I think is the clutch mod a few have done - jury is out on reliability on this one, but should not cause any problems - time will tell :ride:

Get the miles on your bike, do the first oil change after a few hundred miles then let the modding start.  Take the time to have a look around here, there is all the information you will ever need - somewhere - do a search, if you can't find something... ask Gnarth ?   you will get an answer

Ride safe ?

• Like 2

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for the feedback thus far :-)

I will get the 13T on the front asap, any good mail order web shops in Thailand?  when searching ebay most are coming up with USA or UK origin and the shipping is more than the sprocket!

The EJK is high on my list and hopefully in a month or so time when i done all the steady run in miles,  on this topic how long for a small single to run in?   I've never had a new car or bike before so its new territory for me, I was thinking about 100 miles very soft then building up to 400 miles and hopefully that should be ok?

will leave the air box until the EJK is fitted but is removing the backfire screen ok or hold off on that too for now?

I'm not keen on the weigh and looks of the stock exhaust but really want to keep the bike quiet,  its my only form of transport and i don't want to be riding out of junior school with a loud thumper :-)  I often seek out before home time and this would really give the game away!

Thanks Damo.

PS, getting the bike tomorrow, excited!!!!

Suspension, gearing and tires first  !!!  the rest can follow as budget allows 

The standard suspension / tyres feel ok to me - there comes a point where bunging money into a bike don't stack up...

over here in Thailand - a CRF250M is 140,000 Baht and a 500X is 215,00o Baht - 75,000 Baht more - or 1,500 English pounds....

bunging 75,000 b at a CRF - you'll loose that money if you want to bail...and no matter what you spend on a CRF, it will never be faster than a 500X.......

Annd thats from a man with EJK, Mega bomb and FMF Q4 fitted....

• Like 1

The standard suspension / tyres feel ok to me - there comes a point where bunging money into a bike don't stack up...

over here in Thailand - a CRF250M is 140,000 Baht and a 500X is 215,00o Baht - 75,000 Baht more - or 1,500 English pounds....

bunging 75,000 b at a CRF - you'll loose that money if you want to bail...and no matter what you spend on a CRF, it will never be faster than a 500X.......

I completely agree 100% that a person should never dump a bunch of money into mods on any bike they are not committed to keeping for the long haul ....    :prof:

If you're talking about a CB500X ....  that bike could never keep up with my CRF305XL in the woods ....  ?

This bike in its stock form is a very nice commuter street/trail bike but, the suspension is way to plush for any type of off road play time fun .... sure you can putt it around on mild trials if you want to smell the roses and take in the sights ....   :ride:

these of course are just my personal opinions and are not mean't to be confused with actual Facts  .... ?

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

how long for a small single to run in?   I was thinking about 100 miles very soft then building up to 400 miles and hopefully that should be ok?

Mate, i wouldn't worry about being gentle with it, maufacturing processes are so repeatable these days that as long as you don't rev the arse off it or labour it, you will be absolutely good to go ?

Don't wait until 500 (or is it 600??) miles to show up.  Give it 300 ish and change it.  Then as and when - I have not read of anyone going the full 8000 miles before the next oil change :jawdrop:   My bike lets me know when it wants new oil - the gear change goes all 'clunky'  I have about 5000 miles on mine now, I have 4 oil changes :prof:

although to be fair, 1 was to drop the oil to upgrade the clutch :applause:   It only takes one and a half litres, filter element, sump plug washer and a gasket...  it's cheap insurance for your engine.

• Like 2

Oh I'm currently located in the Chiang Rai area if any one know of shops and good rides in the area?  

I have ordered from TNT, 13t is 300b, Kcm is good but think they have a lot of copy stuff, caught them on a few questionable things, a lot of places in CM

You can see them in FB, I found it a bit hard to order,Kcm is just nuts and not to bi-lingual,  TNT was the easiest

Not sure where ur from, but there are shippers in Calif that forward to Thai, mine costs 700b a kilo, BUT no vat or duty, and here within 2 weeks, so that saves quite a bit

I also look on Ebay if they are in China/HK

True but a 500x, or are u talking 450X,  is not street legal and green booked, so what u gonna do? The 500 is not even the same type of bike really!

Edited by hockeyrick

I have ordered from TNT, 13t is 300b, Kcm is good but think they have a lot of copy stuff, caught them on a few questionable things, a lot of places in CM

You can see them in FB, I found it a bit hard to order,Kcm is just nuts and not to bi-lingual,  TNT was the easiest

Not sure where ur from, but there are shippers in Calif that forward to Thai, mine costs 700b a kilo, BUT no vat or duty, and here within 2 weeks, so that saves quite a bit

I also look on Ebay if they are in China/HK

Hi, 

I,ve tried a google search for TNT and KCM in Thailand but can't find them, do you have any web links or contact numbers ?

Thanks  ?