Sign in to follow this  

300 rr or 250 rr or Xtrainer

I had a 2010 EXC 300 but could never get it under control the power would catch me out when it really lit up spent so much time spinning and stuck.Next I had a 350 exc-f is great easy to ride and always was in control....I still want to master the 2 strokes and now am a better rider,I just play weekends for fun with mates so will the Xtrainer be enough would I keep up with them on their 350 exc-f and Crf 250r.

The 250rr and 300rr are they similar bottom end I have read that the 300 has more lug but it's still a 300 compared to a 250 so what would be easier to control when it lit up and not catch me out.Would the 250rr catch me out like the KTM 300 or no because things have also evolved now with better power curves etc.If money is no problem would it better to get the 250rr or 300rr and soften the power rather than buying the Xtrainer...Thanks a lot.

You gonna get enough fuel economy on the X-trainer.

300RR is just a 250RR with more torque IMO. I prefer the 250. In any case, I'd strongly suggest spending extra and getting the "Race".

I had a 2010 EXC 300 but could never get it under control the power would catch me out when it really lit up spent so much time spinning and stuck.Next I had a 350 exc-f is great easy to ride and always was in control....I still want to master the 2 strokes and now am a better rider,I just play weekends for fun with mates so will the Xtrainer be enough would I keep up with them on their 350 exc-f and Crf 250r.

The 250rr and 300rr are they similar bottom end I have read that the 300 has more lug but it's still a 300 compared to a 250 so what would be easier to control when it lit up and not catch me out.Would the 250rr catch me out like the KTM 300 or no because things have also evolved now with better power curves etc.If money is no problem would it better to get the 250rr or 300rr and soften the power rather than buying the Xtrainer...Thanks a lot.

How long you been riding? What kind of trails are you riding.. are you racing..what level.. how fast or slow.. what kind of terrain.. etc. How tall are you.. weight.. etc.. I think all are good but I have not ridden the xtrainer in the trail..BUT .. the xtrainer has been a huge hit here for technical trail. it's the lowest seat height and actually the 250 and 300 are huge sellers here as well. All of them are easy to ride in trail. Any you pick will be good , i think..

• Like 1

If you are not too heavy and don't ride really fast trails maybe the xtrainer, if you race more and do trails too then probably the 250RR,If you race but want a really good go anywhere bike which has super smooth low end and plenty up top too then a 300RR, personally I'd avoid the race version as I have one,the bling is nice but the marzok forks weren't brilliant in the everyday stuff.i have a 300. If I was buying new,now I'd consider the '16 250 RR, as they claim to have beefed up the bottom and smoothed the transition from bottom grunt to mental top out,whatever you buy you can dial the PV to give you the desired power delivery,plus a map switch helps.

Having an XT in the stable, if you are coming from a KTM 250, I'd say skip the XT and get a 250 or 300. Nothing wrong with the XT, it is however much more designed for the technical stuff.

If you are not too heavy and don't ride really fast trails maybe the xtrainer, if you race more and do trails too then probably the 250RR,If you race but want a really good go anywhere bike which has super smooth low end and plenty up top too then a 300RR, personally I'd avoid the race version as I have one,the bling is nice but the marzok forks weren't brilliant in the everyday stuff.i have a 300. If I was buying new,now I'd consider the '16 250 RR, as they claim to have beefed up the bottom and smoothed the transition from bottom grunt to mental top out,whatever you buy you can dial the PV to give you the desired power delivery,plus a map switch helps.

2016 RR's have Oil Injection. The "Race" version doesn't  ;) . Also better value for your $$ in the "race" IMO.

Does the RR have the mapping switch?

Edited by AddictedToBling

I'm 180cm 93 kg with bike gear but that can go up!I've been riding 3 years not racing just fun riding woods,rocky sections few streams and muddy hills I'd say it is technical where we ride.I like to go fast but also sometimes like to just plod along.My EXC 300 could plod but when lit it up it was to quick.The 250rr mental top out is more mental than the 300rr?So the 250rr is more mental than the 300rr.

2016 RR's have Oil Injection. The "Race" version doesn't  ;) . Also better value for your $$ in the "race" IMO.

Does the RR have the mapping switch?

The 15 has the option .. just have to put on the switch. i havent..yet.. but I don't think I need it. I like it as it is in the most linear.

I'm 180cm 93 kg with bike gear but that can go up!I've been riding 3 years not racing just fun riding woods,rocky sections few streams and muddy hills I'd say it is technical where we ride.I like to go fast but also sometimes like to just plod along.My EXC 300 could plod but when lit it up it was to quick.The 250rr mental top out is more mental than the 300rr?So the 250rr is more mental than the 300rr.

No bike ever made has been perfect for everything. There are engineering tradeoffs that determine the character of every bike. If you read through the XT thread you'll see that the people who are drawn to it seem to have been looking for such a bike for a long time, and they know it when they see it. For me it is a balance of three things: size, weight, and the character of the power delivery. These are tough to add to a bike. It's either the right size and weight or it's not. Adding lightness is expensive, and subtracting size often leads to faulty handling. The XT's power delivery is designed to be strong from idle to upper midrange without the dreaded hit you had with your EXC that tries to put you on your head if you twist your right hand too much at the wrong time.

Your requirements are very close to mine: "not racing just fun riding woods, rocky sections, a few streams and muddy hills. I'd say it is technical where we ride. I like to go fast but also sometimes like to just plod along." Having a background in trials riding, I've learned that "going fast" is a relative term. What you can charge through on a trials bike you might not even be able to ride on an enduro bike. For me, the rush is in riding at the limits of my ability and the bike's suspension in whatever terrain I find myself. Riding tight deer trails on my trials bike I often ran away from friends on their mx and enduro bikes. 

There is no doubt that a stock XT is limited by soft suspension, but the fix for that is not complicated (see http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1137446-x-trainer-suspension/). After tuning the suspension, if the engine is not strong enough, the RR pipe fits right on, and the powervalve can be tweaked to fit your needs, until you add enough power to outrun the chassis again. 

I prefer "going fast" in tight technical terrain, more than I do in open "Paris to Dakar" terrain which is why I chose the XT over the RR. If the size and weight of the RR is not a detriment to you, as it would be to me, then, with essentially the same engine, smooth across the entire powerband, and capable of being detuned a bit with the powervalve, I can't see why the 300 RR wouldn't work for you. Just focus on your priorities and the choice will make itself for you.

• Like 4

I think only the springs would be the downfall if going at speed or a few high kickers but yes I could change those on the XT.What I really like is the weight of the XT and that is a small bike,my KTM I hated was so high.

I think only the springs would be the downfall if going at speed or a few high kickers but yes I could change those on the XT.What I really like is the weight of the XT and that is a small bike,my KTM I hated was so high.

Both the RR's have a low seat height, lowest in their class  ;) . One of the things i like most about them  :thumbsup: .

What's the gas tank capacity on the XT? That would be a big factor for me. Mates 250RR ran out of gas in 4 hours riding time.

Both the RR's have a low seat height, lowest in their class  ;) . One of the things i like most about them  :thumbsup: .

What's the gas tank capacity on the XT? That would be a big factor for me. Mates 250RR ran out of gas in 4 hours riding time.

My 300 rr ate more gas in the beginning.. just had to adjust float height then it's fine. xt is about 2 gal I think  .  rr's come with a 2.5 gal tank except for the 13's.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

The XT has 8.5 l but don't know the range as it must use less juice than the rr a depending on how you ride I guess.

The XT has 8.5 l but don't know the range as it must use less juice than the rr a depending on how you ride I guess.

More than I expected. The RR looks to be around that.

My 300 rr ate more gas in the beginning.. just had to adjust float height then it's fine. xt is about 2 gal I think.

Off topic, but any chance to brag about my bike I'll take it  :lol: . I have No shame  :devil: .

Rode 4 hours the other day, decent pace. RR250 "Race", 2x YZF450's and a KX250F all ran out of gas. My RM144AF with Lectron carby came back with at least a 3rd of a tank. And my tank is only 7.5l. :ride: .

Video to show pace. Don't watch it to the end  :devil: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YV0eWPo7o

• Like 1

Hehe..I like the clip nice one.

Didn't sleep the night before and had no definition in my focus. Hence why I ran straight into that log. Didn't even see it  :facepalm: .

Geez, I really look my age laying there on the ground at the end  :lol:. BTW, 1st time I've put that bike down LOL.

The camera man was on a 2015 Beta 250RR "Race". They even sound smooth.

Here's some more footage of it. They're Sex on wheels IMO. One of, if not the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD0yOGoDgdQ

BTW, the bloke on the Husky was rooted so didn't put on a great show. But, that Husky with the mapping switch is Impressive as well.

• Like 2

Didn't sleep the night before and had no definition in my focus. Hence why I ran straight into that log. Didn't even see it  :facepalm: .

Geez, I really look my age laying there on the ground at the end  :lol:. BTW, 1st time I've put that bike down LOL.

The camera man was on a 2015 Beta 250RR "Race". They even sound smooth.

Here's some more footage of it. They're Sex on wheels IMO. One of, if not the best looking bikes I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD0yOGoDgdQ

BTW, the bloke on the Husky was rooted so didn't put on a great show. But, that Husky with the mapping switch is Impressive as well.

That is a good pace you all are running. I would be bouncing off trees.  :ride:

• Like 1